IGNORED

Name the game!

Back in the mid-90s when we got our first PC, we were slow to get the internet.  That game, along with nibbles.bas and the help documentation which was great (for it's time) were what taught me how to first program.  I even went to the library and got books on BASIC, but since they never quite mapped to QBasic, I gave up and just learned by  dissecting other peoples code.

And with StackOverflow being the top place where people solve their coding problems, I still learn a lot that way today.

53 minutes ago, G-type said:

I used to code text-based adventure games in basic. I also had a couple of those books and magazines that had basic games you could transcribe onto the computer.

spacer.png

I had these same books as a kid.

I also had a book from Compute! magazine with some really cool games and utilities for IBM PC, but it seems to be impossible to find any details online. I think this is it. https://www.amazon.com/Compute-Compatibles-Basic-Programming-Collection/dp/0874550831

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 8:59 PM, G-type said:

I used to code text-based adventure games in basic. I also had a couple of those books and magazines that had basic games you could transcribe onto the computer.

spacer.png

These books and the earlier 101 BASIC Computer Games are such great pieces of 70s gaming history. Creative Computing is so good too. You can't really own much gaming related from the early 70s so I love published type-in games.

14 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Looks like Odyssey 2. Quest for the Rings?

Even when I question if I'm going too obscure? You still get!

qftr3.png.2617f9f016864d6fdc4161600128c2db.png

I don't know if there's a lot of O2 collectors on here, but this is one my favorite items in my collection:

spacer.png

even has art on the inside of the box lid:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

10 minutes ago, G-type said:

I don't know if there's a lot of O2 collectors on here, but this is one my favorite items in my collection:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This looks awesome, for the uninitiated, what does that board thingie do? Are there pieces or anything and do you interact between the tv / video game and the board to actually play through the game? 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

This looks awesome, for the uninitiated, what does that board thingie do? Are there pieces or anything and do you interact between the tv / video game and the board to actually play through the game?

It's a board game/video game hybrid. Whenever you enter a dungeon (on the game board) you play the combat in real time on the Odyssey.

Edited by G-type
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
58 minutes ago, G-type said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I collect a lot of O2, but it mostly turns into CO2 so I'd not call it a long-term type of collection.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, G-type said:

I'm more likely to know an old obscure game than a popular newer game.

I've never actually seen an O2 in person. Never even met anybody who had one. But I'm very familiar with it from years of reading about games and watching videos.