IGNORED

Movie Debate #120: Tropic Thunder

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

It's funny seeing how many people today don't seem to realise the movie is satirizing Hollywood blackface. 

It's not like it's super heavy handed or anything 🙄

mad people GIF

Dude, I get it.  But seriously, I'm surprised Robert Downey Jr. wasn't cancelled for that one and disappeared.  I know I've seen a clip of Ben Stiller being ridiculously apologetic about it since he wrote and directed this film when some reporter was talking to him about this right when "cancel culture" was just really starting to heat up.  You could tell he knew he was about to lose his career.  He didn't, but the man was sweating bullets and tripping over his words.

I'm sure RDJ received flack for it but I never heard about it and that was all before Iron Man, so yeah, he made it through.

Still, in a world/Hollywood that doesn't understand satire, I'm surprised even this film was greenlit with someone in blackface, much less it's not ostracized to this day.

• Agree 1

I haven’t seen it since it came out but I remember thinking it was funny.  I went 7.  The black face thing was even kind of uncomfortable at the time.  Does this movie stream anywhere?  Because it makes me think of the Always Sunny Lethal Weapon episodes and I believe those got pulled some years back.

Editorials Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, RH said:

Dude, I get it.  But seriously, I'm surprised Robert Downey Jr. wasn't cancelled for that one and disappeared.  I know I've seen a clip of Ben Stiller being ridiculously apologetic about it since he wrote and directed this film when some reporter was talking to him about this right when "cancel culture" was just really starting to heat up.  You could tell he knew he was about to lose his career.  He didn't, but the man was sweating bullets and tripping over his words.

I'm sure RDJ received flack for it but I never heard about it and that was all before Iron Man, so yeah, he made it through.

Still, in a world/Hollywood that doesn't understand satire, I'm surprised even this film was greenlit with someone in blackface, much less it's not ostracized to this day.

Because that controversy is bullshit.  They were parodying actors and Hollywood and all of the stupid shit they've historically done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I give this movie a 9/10 because its that funny, and its not just stupid funny like an Austin Powers movie, it actually makes some sense.

The biggest part of this movie for me is the part played by one of our hometown heroes, Nick Nolte.  He go to play a character thats just off the wall and pretty insane due to his time in the war, and he absolutely kills me in this movie.

5 hours ago, RH said:

Better known as the last example of black-face.

And then there's making fun of "retards" on top of it.  Nowadays that's a word you can't even say, never mind make fun of the subject in a movie, but Tropic Thunder has a man in blackface saying the line: "You never go full retard!"

Oh the times, they are a changin'....

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And then there's making fun of "retards" on top of it.  Nowadays that's a word you can't even say, never mind make fun of the subject in a movie, but Tropic Thunder has a man in blackface saying the line: "You never go full retard!"

Oh the times, they are a changin'....

That's because the minority are so serious and easily offended these days then we have to hear them complain about it. The smallest thing and they, in the words of Tropic Thunder, go full retard 😆