IGNORED

Help Identifying A Movie By A Snippet of Memory

Scrobins

Moderator · Posted

I decided to start a thread to help me crowdsource the answers, and thought maybe others might have some fun submitting their own too.

When I was a kid, my mom would take my sister and me to church, and my dad would stay home. Often when we came home he would be watching some movie on tv. I would catch a piece of a scene and it would be burned to n my memory as something I’d want to see at some point. Years later I’m trying to figure out what they are, but my dad has no clue about any of them.

I recently figured out one of them: I remembered a bear fighting off a pack of dogs on a mountain. One dog was a different color and was hurt so badly, his owner had to shoot him (or rather his friend did). This turned out to be the French film The Bear.

So now I feel like there’s momentum and I want to figure out the others, which might also be from tv shows:

-Religious setting. A procession carrying a statue of the Virgin Mary stops when the statue begins weeping blood. As onlookers weep, a gunfight breaks out

-A movie ends with two men in pig masks shooting a cop in the woods. There is some kind of epilogue text

-A western setting. A man prepares to run into a saloon for a gunfight. Two men are inside hiding, one is under/behind a table. Gunfight ends, the men who were inside are killed while the man who ran in is just injured

-Possibly an old Southern setting. A woman in a plantation hears moaning upstairs. She goes up to the bedroom and catches black boy and white girl in bed

Any ideas?

Any movies/shows of your own you’ve been trying to figure out what they were?

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Scrobins said:

Religious setting. A procession carrying a statue of the Virgin Mary stops when the statue begins weeping blood. As onlookers weep, a gunfight breaks out

Desperado, from 1995?

A movie ends with two men in pig masks shooting a cop in the woods. There is some kind of epilogue text

The Place Beyond the Pines? This is newer - 2012.

A western setting. A man prepares to run into a saloon for a gunfight. Two men are inside hiding, one is under/behind a table. Gunfight ends, the men who were inside are killed while the man who ran in is just injured

High Noon, from 1952?

Possibly an old Southern setting. A woman in a plantation hears moaning upstairs. She goes up to the bedroom and catches black boy and white girl in bed

The Help? 2011

Or Band of Angels? 1957

My Work Is Done Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Are all of these from when you were a kid? About how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

3 hours ago, Scrobins said:

western setting. A man prepares to run into a saloon for a gunfight. Two men are inside hiding, one is under/behind a table. Gunfight ends, the men who were inside are killed while the man who ran in is just injured

Maybe the Clint Eastwood westerns. Unforgiven, Fistful of Dollars, The Good The Bad and The Ugly.  

How about that Bruce Willis flick Last Man Standing?  Remake of Fistful of Dollars but he's got those killer 1911s.  That's probably a 9 on the Reed scale.

6 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

There is (or was) a really cool forum-type website specifically for this. You would basically describe a movie and the kind internet people would try to find it for you. They helped me find Time Bandits! If I figure out the name of the website, and it still exists, I'll post it here.

There’s a Reddit sub dedicated to this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/whatisthatmovie/

You can also go to the Movies site on the Stack Exchange network and post a question with the tag “Movie Identification, IIRC, and they will help too.

• Thanks 1

The first one sounds familiar and now I want to know which it is.

The western one isn't any of the Sergio Leone westerns, I can tell you that much. 🙂  (ok maybe Once Upon a Time in the West, I don't remember it that clearly, but I don't think it's it either)

Edited by Sumez

Moderator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's like a thousand smaller Spaghetti Westerns, so it could be anything.  Any more details?

I wish I could remember more. Maybe a tv western. I know there were lingering shots on the two guys killed in the saloon. I remember thinking woah the two guys with good cover are killed while the guy who storms in is just wounded.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't know. We have to be borderline tied in "Never seen it" votes on the movie polls.

It's just bad luck that I've not seen those specific movies tbh. And I have gone and watched a number of them after the polls happening.

Social Team · Posted

I got a movie for the group.  As a kid growing up in the late 80's I could of sworn I watch a Disney movie that was live action about a kid and his dog finding buried treasure/money.  I remember the phrase "X marks the spot" but I THINK the dog was named Spot and he had marked the map.  Anyways the barebones story is kid find loads of cash with his dog.

45 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I got a movie for the group.  As a kid growing up in the late 80's I could of sworn I watch a Disney movie that was live action about a kid and his dog finding buried treasure/money.  I remember the phrase "X marks the spot" but I THINK the dog was named Spot and he had marked the map.  Anyways the barebones story is kid find loads of cash with his dog.

• Wow! 1