IGNORED

Is Treasure (the dev) Overrated?

Is Treasure (the dev) Overrated  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is treasure overrated?

I say no. A high quality, great small company that produced some of the highest rated games of the 16 and 32 bit console era. Run and gun, shooter and platformer royalty. 

@OptOut prove me wrong. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_(company)

some notables (from wiki)

Gunstar heroes

mc donalds treasure land adventure

dynamite heady

alien soldier

light crusader

guardian heroes

Mischief makers

silhouette mirage

radiant silvergun

Bangai-o

sin and punishment

silpheed lost planet

ikaruga

Wario world

astro boy:omega factor

gradius v

While the team was at konami they worked on:

axelay

castlevania iv

the simpsons

bucky o hare

contra 3

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Eyeroll 1

First of all, I'm calling shenanigans on including the Konami games, that's leading the witness. I want those struck immediately. 😒

Second of all, their platformers are MID! Dynamite Heady and Mischief Makers are quirky and fun, but they aren't great games. Their best platformer is Gunstar heroes, which hews more to their strengths as a shooter developer.

The only thing they do really well is shooters, if you like bullet hell. If you prefer other kinds of shooter then you're also out of luck.

There is no need for raging beta nerds to pop such a throbbing boner over this company's output. When you need to put WARIO WORLD in your list of reasons why Treasure rules, you have already lost the argument.

Treasure is overrated. I rest my case, your honour.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, OptOut said:

First of all, I'm calling shenanigans on including the Konami games, that's leading the witness. I want those struck immediately. 😒

Second of all, their platformers are MID! Dynamite Heady and Mischief Makers are quirky and fun, but they aren't great games. Their best platformer is Gunstar heroes, which hews more to their strengths as a shooter developer.

The only thing they do really well is shooters, if you like bullet hell. If you prefer other kinds of shooter then you're also out of luck.

There is no need for raging beta nerds to pop such a throbbing boner over this company's output. When you need to put WARIO WORLD in your list of reasons why Treasure rules, you have already lost the argument.

With those parameters, and it is fair, leaving out pre-Treasure days at Konami that changes things a lot.  Try as they did on a few genres and styles of game, the one they ever mish-moshed well was Gunstar Hereoes and it was a real take it or leave it game too depending on tastes, but undeniable it deserves the praised.  Treasures bread and butter to A grade success is bullethell style shooters, and even when not going that off the deep end in that corner of it, still just shooters in general are their niche.

On occasion they do have some strange luck with a huge win, but rare outside of that like the coveted well done Astro Boy on GBA.  Wario World deserves praise sure, but it's not on that tier, it's B-tier entirely, and I'd put other stuff like Dynamite Headdy at a B/B- and Mischief Makers is a straight C-game against its peers.  But when you can count what's amazing about them outside of one niche within a niche genre (shooters, bullet hell specifics) on one hand, that is the classic sign of being overrated outside of their own cluster of fans within that scope.  I've had many of their games that don't go pew pew and largely they are just average to well...pew.

• Like 1

I don’t think it matters that some games are B tier. Platinum also releases B tier games and are still great.

Their platformers are quirky and fun, some don’t like it but I’m definitely in the camp that does. Mischief Makers is an awesome game. Same goes for Wario World.

I’m currently playing Astro Boy on the GBA and that game is absolutely amazing.

Their shooters are some of the best around and where they shine the most.

OptOut doesn’t really know what he’s talking about so sometimes you just have to ignore his crazy ramblings 😆

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

Please defend the idea that they are “no where near the upper echelon”  by giving me the 3rd party dev teams of similar size that put out better games, across multiple genres. Since they are “no where” near, I am looking at roughly 10 teams 😝

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Please defend the idea that they are “no where near the upper echelon”  by giving me the 3rd party dev teams of similar size that put out better games, across multiple genres. Since they are “no where” near, I am looking at roughly 10 teams 😝

Hey dude, bite my ass, eh?!

I ain't got time to justify everything that comes out my mouth, or indeed any of it! 😉

• Haha 2

Editorials Team · Posted
12 hours ago, OptOut said:

Sorry, can't hear you over Ikaruga and the Bangai-Os and Sin & Punishment and Silhouette Mirage.

The prosecution wants @OptOut disbarred your honor.

• Haha 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, OptOut said:

You should hear my opinions on Atlus games... 😏

Atlus, Treasure, Link to the Past, the entire collective works for the PlayStation line of consoles.

We need to stage a "bad opinion" intervention for Opt.  Save him from himself 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I had Guardian Heroes for a couple years and just could never get into it. Not a bad game but just never my favorite.

And then looking over the list, it's how I feel about most of the games. Of the ones I've played, I don't think any are bad but none of them are my favorites. They were a solid 3rd party developer. 

I'm feeling a strong 6 to light 7 on them. They're games are good to have in the library but I'd be confused if most of a collection was built around Treasure's releases. 

• Like 1

Where does this discussion go towards? If you like specific games good for you. If you don't just don't. I agree treasure games had a little unusual takes on gameplay but some of them are still very fun. Gunstar Heroes is probably the best as the typical run and shoot game but it still had some fighting elements. Mischief Makers is fun, however the gameplay concept is unusual with grabbing and throwing stuff but still, different take on a video game but still fun. Silhouette Mirage also feels like a typical run and shoot game but you need to turn and shoot specific colors. Again just a slightly different take where you need to think a bit more, meaning you need to turn on your brain slightly more than the usual 2% when playing a video game

Why repeat the same boring pattern that is already known in over 90% of video games? I think Treasure games are still good. It's just video games. Games are games and they are supposed to be fun. What are we complaining about here? In the end of the day we are all wasting our time and money on old games for kids

• Agree 1

I would say for me, personally, yes, because I've never bothered to pick up anything they've made, nor wanted to beyond two Konami titles (Castlevania IV and The Simpsons arcade game).  Honestly, the Konami stuff shouldn't count because it wasn't Treasure that built those games, it was some people who went on to form Treasure and a bunch of other people also working at Konami, so no team credit for something they didn't exclusively produce.

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Agree 2

That's where I am with them.  I'm not into bullethell, and I'm in the group who didn't care much for gunstar heroes either.  Yet Bangaioh on 64 I own, Astro Boy is another, and Wario World as well and they're A to B effort titles, great.  They do not deserve a lick of credit for anything before they existed as their own company, so grandfathering in Konami gems doesn't count.

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That's where I am with them.  I'm not into bullethell, and I'm in the group who didn't care much for gunstar heroes either.  Yet Bangaioh on 64 I own, Astro Boy is another, and Wario World as well and they're A to B effort titles, great.  They do not deserve a lick of credit for anything before they existed as their own company, so grandfathering in Konami gems doesn't count.

"So, not counting the titles that are A/B, and the entire genre that I'm not personally into, or the games I haven't played..." 😛