IGNORED

Movie Debate #115: Princess Mononoke

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

Ugh, ok. Yeah, I'm not going to be getting HBO.  I guess I'll have to bootleg stream these if I'm going too.

There are tons of releases for these movies, btw.  Blu-Ray, DVD, all sorts.  Some may be on Netflix also.  They are worth the cost of admission - trust me 🙂

I rated this one a 10, because it's just all-around an amazing movie with some great themes.  It's beautiful, in many different ways.  It's always a toss-up for me between Nausicaa, Mononoke Hime, and Laputa (Castle in the Sky) because I love them all SO much.  I'd rate all three 10s personally.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

8/10. In incredible film. 

My favorite Ghibli (and probably my favorite anime) is Nausicaa. I'm glad to see it get some love here because it is amazing. I've got a bunch of the comic manga for that one as well.

Next is Castle in the Sky and then probably this one. It's hard to go wrong with a lot of them though. I definitely love a lot of the 70's/80's animation styles. 

Gotta love the 80s and 90s high fantasy stuff.

Then they stopped and did like, Wind Rises and Up On Poppy Hill.  Dammit Ghibli!

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Gotta love the 80s and 90s high fantasy stuff.

Then they stopped and did like, Wind Rises and Up On Poppy Hill.  Dammit Ghibli!

Imo those are both amazing movies. But if you aren't into drama/romance movies then I get why you might not like them. Both give some interesting insights into Japanese culture and events.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Imo those are both amazing movies. But if you aren't into drama/romance movies then I get why you might not like them. Both give some interesting insights into Japanese culture and events.

It's fine.  But, I feel like it's comparing The Aviator with The Lord of the Rings.  Just different pantheons of entertainment.

5/10 - saw it once in the theater.  My friends convinced me to see it with them.

Japanese fiction is not my thing.  This was right smack dab in the middle of "ok" for me.  I've seen this and Spirited Away, and they didn't do it for me.  I'm hopeless.

My favorite Japanese movie of all time is Shoplifters.

• Haha 1