IGNORED

Movie Debate #115: Princess Mononoke

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Brickman said:

10. This and Nausicaa are definitely my favourite Studio Ghibli movies and both would rank in my top 10 movies of all time. Fantastic story and very moving soundtrack. 

Nausicaa is so underrated. Probably 3rd for me for Ghibli movies. Just watched it for the 10th time a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

It's an easy 10 and I'd put multiple Ghibli movies up there. It's hard to rank them, honestly, as they span multiple genres and themes. To stand at or near the top alongside Totoro, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Kiki, and all the others is a feat that other studios can mostly only really dream of. Princess Mononoke is epic throughout - the beauty of nature, the grand scale of the creatures/spirits, the wolves, everything is masterful. It's a movie that honestly everyone should see.

• Like 1

I’m not into anime but it’s not because I’m not interested.  There’s just so much of it out there that’s not for me personally, I don’t know how to weed through it all.

This one and Spirited Away are two I’ve heard high praises of for ages but I have no clue what they are really about. I’m also interested in Grave of the Fireflies, but I’m quite sure that’s a completely different tone than these.

14 minutes ago, RH said:

I’m not into anime but it’s not because I’m not interested.  There’s just so much of it out there that’s not for me personally, I don’t know how to weed through it all.

This one and Spirited Away are two I’ve heard high praises of for ages but I have no clue what they are really about. I’m also interested in Grave of the Fireflies, but I’m quite sure that’s a completely different tone than these.

Check out the manga/anime thread fcgamer recently posted and that will give you an idea where to start with some of the classics. If you just focus on a genre with anime and check out some classics it isn’t as overwhelming. Then if you find yourself enjoying it you can branch out.

You should definitely watch this and Spirited Away. They’re both movies you can watch without been into Anime. Grave of the Fireflies is also excellent but as you said, completely different tone and feel. Also worth checking out though.

14 hours ago, RH said:

This one and Spirited Away are two I’ve heard high praises of for ages but I have no clue what they are really about.

Ghiblis movies are generally not much like most other anime at all, even if they are still inherently very Japanese. But there's a good reason why they usually appeal to people who don't otherwise like anime much. They are just incredibly good movies and the two you mentioned are a great place to start. I'd probably check out Howls Moving Castle alongside them as well. 

Kiki is another ghibli great that tends to get overlooked. Its theme is a lot more child friendly, so it might be a better one to watch with kids. I think all of the Miyazaki ones are great kids movies though, even though movies like Princess Mononoke has a much more serious and heavy theme.

Grave of the Fireflies is a different story - don't watch it with kids 😅

On 3/12/2023 at 12:35 AM, G-type said:

that opening boar fight is one of the all time great scenes. It gets a little slow for me at times, but overall I really liked it.

I'm also not afraid to 7/10 this all time classic for being slowish. My favorite Miyazaki movie is probably Ponyo, so what do I know about high art and animation though.

• Haha 1

8/10. In incredible film. 

My favorite Ghibli (and probably my favorite anime) is Nausicaa. I'm glad to see it get some love here because it is amazing. I've got a bunch of the comic manga for that one as well.

Next is Castle in the Sky and then probably this one. It's hard to go wrong with a lot of them though. I definitely love a lot of the 70's/80's animation styles. 

Where is the easiest (as in free) way to stream these?

I was actually thinking about giving Ponyo a try because it was the one that seemed I could most likely get my wife sucked into (if for no other reason than Tina Fey does voice acting.)

Edited by RH

Moderator · Posted
5 minutes ago, RH said:

Where is the easiest (as in free) way to stream these?

I was actually thinking about giving Ponyo a try because it was the one that seemed I could most likely get my wife sucked into (if for no other reason than Tina Fey does voice acting.)

HBO Max has them all. 

• Like 1