IGNORED

Music Debate 37: Queen

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Score explanations below

Voted 9/10 as well.  Certainly one of the best rock bands the world has ever seen and all are incredibly talented.

That said, Queen did have a few stinkers in their catalog.  Some would even argue whole albums are stinkers (usually the wildly-different Hot Space).  I can't claim to be their hugest fan by any stretch, but I have and treasure all their albums.  Freddie was an incredible singer, clever songwriter and overall badass.  Brian May is a damn genius; after playing in one of the greatest bands of all time, he goes back to school to finish a PhD in Astrophysics.  Amazing!

While I don’t like everything they’ve done, they are undeniably one of the most talented groups of musicians to ever form a rock band. Watch the Montreal ‘81 concert video to see a masterclass in how it’s done. Literally every member of that band just kills it both instrumentally and vocally.

• Like 2

While I've never had a massive Queen faze myself and mainly just know their big hits, there was a time where I did quite a bit of my own research on the upbringing and childhood of Farrokh Bulsara and was blown away to discover what a child prodigy he was musically, I'd never really heard much of how talented he was as a child, only knew of his work as a superstar, and I never knew about the environment he grew up in. I'll always associate 'Another One Bites The Dust' with Michael Jordan because the Chicago Bulls always used it as their victory song. It was particularly insulting to the other team when the PA would play the song before the game even ended.

I'm also in the camp that thinks We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions are the same song. You absolutely can't have one without the other, and you can't play them in the reverse order.

Edited by trj22487

Im not a huge fan, but one of the greatest front men/singers of all time paired with an incredibly smart and interesting guitar player.  They also played the greatest concert of all time at '85 wembly.  I always thought of them as the Beatles with more talent in playing their instruments but a little less in the songwriting.  Not a bad thing!  But not too many bands I can think of who's songs are so eclectic like the Beatles.  Thats REALLY, REALLY tough to do.  

Also Brian May has one of the greatest pinch harmonics in guitar history in "We Are The Champions".

Edited by guitarzombie