IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Super Off-Road and MUSCLE finished. For the first one, I got somewhere around race 55-56. I know someone mentioned that game does technically end after the 99th race, but we haven't required that before and that seems a bit excessive. I guess a similar case would be Rally Bike, which does end after a second loop (with no ending, like Super Off Road. But at least that game has different scenes after certain races. In Super Off Road, you've seen the last new track on race 35, and the reversed version of that on race 43. So nothing new from 44-99, after which it just sends you to the high score screen, the same as a game over.

I stopped playing MUSCLE after round 6, although I felt like I could've gone on a lot longer with some luck. Did you know that there's a Famicom game based on Ramen Man, one of the selectable characters from this game?

Screenshots:

hJzVBMz.png

15BKmfa.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 443/667 (bonus games - 32/100)

Well, you've slayed another giant, @Gaia Gensouki. You joined the 600 point club with authority and style. I don't know if you realize this yet, but you're only the fourth player in the history of this competition to hit that threshold, and all three of us before you have won at least one singles championship.

3 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Well, you've slayed another giant, @Gaia Gensouki. You joined the 600 point club with authority and style. I don't know if you realize this yet, but you're only the fourth player in the history of this competition to hit that threshold, and all three of us before you have won at least one singles championship.

Thanks. And no, I didn't realize that this was that special. I still have a little bit more energy left in me to try and break the 700 points, but recently I didn't have much time to play games. So progress is significantly slower right now.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 448/667 (bonus games - 32/100)
On 2/11/2023 at 11:01 PM, NESfiend said:

Excitebike is done. Based on all the feedback, seems like this one will be in the weekly contest this year. Cant wait, despite the inevitable ass kicking I have to come, from @Bearcat-Dougand countless others. 

20230211_215939.jpg

I didn't even notice that it was still on the list. Great job clearing it!

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 452/667 (bonus games - 32/100)

I had a funny moment the other day playing Bo Jackson Baseball. It only takes 4 games to beat, so it's very simple for a 10 pointer. I got halfway through the playoffs with the Chicago White Sox, to the World Series. Unfortunately, I picked the Chicago Cubs as one of the NL teams, and they advanced as well. That's unfortunate because this game makes you pick which team is yours for each matchup ("NES" or "player"). It also doesn't list each Chicago team with a different name. That means upon getting to the World Series, I had to pick from the menu which team I wanted to be - Chicago vs Chicago, with no indication of which was which. So I had a 50/50 chance of picking the right team to control, and of course I picked wrong. Ugh.

Anyway, we're at the 450 games mark. It only took us 14 days to go from 400-450. That's the 5th fastest out of 12 years.

Days to go from 400-450

2012 26-Apr 07-Jun 42
2013 17-Feb 02-May 74
2014 26-Jan 16-Feb 21
2015 16-Jan 21-Jan 5
2016 19-Jan 31-Jan 12
2017 27-Jan 07-Feb 11
2018 30-Jan 10-Mar 39
2019 14-Apr 19-May 35
2020 30-Jan 14-Feb 15
2021 15-Jan 19-Jan 4
2022 08-Feb 05-Mar 25
2023 06-Feb 20-Feb 14

It's taken on average 44 days to go from 450-500.

Castle of Dragon is done. It's much jankier than Sword Master which already didn't play too well. Especially the final boss, the dragon, was really annoying. The way I got him was this: He always keeps moving his head up and down and depending on the position and timing it seemed to be more or less tricky hitting him. I had the best luck by getting fairly close to him, while watching out to not get hit by his tail, and then wait until he slightly raises his head. Around the time when he shoots his fireballs I jump up and a little bit towards him while attacking him consecutively with the sword. With a bit of luck I got two hits in per jump. If there's any better way to defeat him I'd love to hear it, but after some failures this finally earned me the victory.

On a side note, the princess seems to have a "wardrobe malfunction".

Castle of Dragon.jpg

Simpson’s: Bart vs the Space Mutants is beaten.

Between the frustrating control scheme, cheap hits from enemies, lack of continues given, and oddball stuff you gotta figure out in order to progress, this game is a pain in the ass to beat.

There’s some ambitious ideas here, just lackluster execution in gameplay development. Par for the course for NES games done by Imagineering I suppose.

238CC9CF-F099-4CF3-B1E2-24ACE245C9E9.jpeg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 456/667 (bonus games - 32/100)

Had a small hiatus.... Although that's not totally true. My NES collection is limited, and a lot of the games I have and can beat had been finished. I am now dabbling into the library of games that I struggle with, but have been working to try and get some more done. 😂😂

Currently working on air fortress. I spent some time playing some other games I like that had already been beaten though. I count that as a win, as there is still some gaming happening. 😁

• Like 1