IGNORED

SN30 Pro is a dissappointment

cartman

Same shit i've experienced with other controller D-pads in regards to unintentionally registered commands i experienced here. Was playing The Ninja Warriors on MAME and you constantly have to switch between looking left and right facing the enemies while the UP arrow is the jump. I found myself jumping accidentally to the point that i can't play the game with any consistency.

I think that was the controller where that could be helped/fixed by using those sticker circles you use on paper in 3 ring binders to prevent tearing. Put them around all four contacts for the d-pad on the PCB. I wanna say use 2 stickers per contact to build it up a little.

Kinda dissapointed that has to be done but it hopefully helps.

I'm almost always disappointed a least a little by third party controllers. I'd like to say people's standards are too loose for controllers, but maybe I'm just too picky? I'm not familiar with The Ninja Warriors but if you need really precise 4-directional inputs you could try the RetroUSB NES controller. It's very clicky and slightly stiffer than most d-pads. I don't use it all the time, but I'm a big fan for very challenging/precise inputs like Mike Tyson or Adventure Island 8-3.

I hear the 'M30' has a really good d-pad.. only downside is you don't have the dual-analogue sticks the SN30 has 😕 ... however if what @LeatherRebel5150 said is true, then a fix would probably solve all concerns

https://www.8bitdo.com/m30-2-4g-for-genesis-mini-mega-drive-mini/

I'm actually more curious at this point if anyone's used the SN30 Pro+ ... maybe it's improved enough to be the preferred choice?
https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Edited by Pendragonx
extra stuff to add

I never liked the controller.  I got one that came with my SuperNT last year and it never felt 100% right, but what really ticked me off was the short battery life of it and the receiver.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the ground unicorn horn powered Nintendo batteries in their controllers, but I felt like I had to keep charging the thing every few days to a week or it would be dead so I shelved it and stuck with my corded originals.  It just sold on ebay this evening so it'll be out of my hair for good shortly. 😄

13 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I think that was the controller where that could be helped/fixed by using those sticker circles you use on paper in 3 ring binders to prevent tearing. Put them around all four contacts for the d-pad on the PCB. I wanna say use 2 stickers per contact to build it up a little.

Kinda dissapointed that has to be done but it hopefully helps.

I did this myself, and it worked. Used 2 rings per direction, exactly as showed in My Life in Gaming's video on the controller.

Had a bad time playing Celeste before I did.

6 hours ago, Pendragonx said:

I hear the 'M30' has a really good d-pad.. only downside is you don't have the dual-analogue sticks the SN30 has 😕 ... however if what @LeatherRebel5150 said is true, then a fix would probably solve all concerns

https://www.8bitdo.com/m30-2-4g-for-genesis-mini-mega-drive-mini/

I'm actually more curious at this point if anyone's used the SN30 Pro+ ... maybe it's improved enough to be the preferred choice?
https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

I also have the Pro+ and it's been amazing. I absolutely love it.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:52 PM, DefaultGen said:

I'm almost always disappointed a least a little by third party controllers. I'd like to say people's standards are too loose for controllers, but maybe I'm just too picky?

If your too picky then so am I. Never had a third party controller I liked. I have one of the 8bitdo wireless ones and I never use it

the d-pad seems ok but the a.b.x.y. Buttons are so clicky and sometimes stick (like the get stuck pressed in for a millisecond).

• 3 weeks later...

The thing is everyone praises this controller as the real deal. The reviewers that have it as their thing to talk about gaming-related things and should have some insight i guess, they say the same thing. It makes me really wonder why i experience these things that so many others don't i mean how many differeng fucking ways are there that you can press a button on?

I won one in a competition, and I think it's alright, but maybe I just didn't expect anything from a controller I'd never heard of before.

One thing I kind of hate is how it really tries to look like a SNES controller, but feels absolutely nothing like one. Like others have said, the D-pad is really weirdly stiff.

Meanwhile the SNES Mini controller feels just like the real deal.

Edited by Sumez