Jump to content
IGNORED

8-Bit XMAS 2022 Now Available


Deadeye
 Share

Recommended Posts

Homebrew Team · Posted

RetroUSB has opened up sales for the yearly cart.  As always, download available on website for free, or cart with blinky lights for sale.

20221119_160046.thumb.jpg.615d8bf40da41f80d1d23d22b8c3e631.jpg

"Need something to pass the time during xmas vacation? Endless Grinch lasts forever, or at least as long as you do! Coins are capped at a maximum of 12 and slowly disappear. Run out and you die, or keep stocked and play endlessly. Rampage through randomized overworld, tree, and castle levels so each playthrough is new. Try not to go insane from the Christmas music or go blind staring at the cartridge LEDs which dance to the music. Aim for distance or score, turtle jumping won't help you this time!"

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=171

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm just curious how people will classify this. Bootleg, knockoff, pirate, something else?

To be honest these days I see the number of people who care about such classifications dwindling. Old collectors are leaving the hobby, and new collectors are content to literally collect CIB repros. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted

Not to discount this at all, and i know a lot of you might hate me for saying this, but its a super mario maker level on a nes cart 😆.  Still, knowing one of the creators, looks fun enough for a little playthrough or something sometime.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
24 minutes ago, Gloves said:

To be honest these days I see the number of people who care about such classifications dwindling. Old collectors are leaving the hobby, and new collectors are content to literally collect CIB repros. 

You're not in the same circles as me generally. 

I intend to order one of these as the rom was fun, and I'd likely enjoy playing it every year. Plus I'm always happy to support a community member.

That being said, this should be classified in exactly the same way as people classify Hummer Team's Super Mario World, for example. I suspect it won't be though. 

Why does it matter? Perhaps it doesn't, but I'm actively trying to promote (non-Japanese) games from Asia as being an important part of gaming history, but it's hard to do that when vocabulary with derogatory connotations or baggage is used to reference them. But most people here I suspect won't consider Brian's game as a bootleg or pirate or something like that, since it was made by a community member and was made outside of the sinosphere. That's my point.

Carry on folks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Not to discount this at all, and i know a lot of you might hate me for saying this, but its a super mario maker level on a nes cart 😆.  Still, knowing one of the creators, looks fun enough for a little playthrough or something sometime.  

Reminds me of the definitive SMB2 Japanese version he did that was just a copy of Taiwanese Gamars' SMB2J disk to cart conversion. 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You're not in the same circles as me generally. 

I intend to order one of these as the rom was fun, and I'd likely enjoy playing it every year. Plus I'm always happy to support a community member.

That being said, this should be classified in exactly the same way as people classify Hummer Team's Super Mario World, for example. I suspect it won't be though. 

Why does it matter? Perhaps it doesn't, but I'm actively trying to promote (non-Japanese) games from Asia as being an important part of gaming history, but it's hard to do that when vocabulary with derogatory connotations or baggage is used to reference them. But most people here I suspect won't consider Brian's game as a bootleg or pirate or something like that, since it was made by a community member and was made outside of the sinosphere. That's my point.

Carry on folks. 

8-bit Xmas 2022 is a bootleg, pretty clearly. It's a game using unauthorized content being sold without permission of the original designer/developer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
31 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

a romhack on a physical cart being sold for profit would qualify as what? A bootleg?

I think people would just call it a hack, then maybe bootleg secondary.

I personally don't like these terms though as they carry a lot of baggage, and diminish the work the author put into the game*

I think unauthorized sounds more neutral?

*See the interview I did with the creator of Super Dr Mario Bros to really appreciate the work going into this stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
25 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Bootleg, pirate and knockoff are all exactly the same and this is neither. Those all need to be an exact reproduction which this is not. It's just a hack of a ROM unless they used the code from the guy that remade it from scratch.

  • Bootleg: A new game which makes heavy unauthorized use of materials from an existing game.
  • Pirate: An unauthorized copy of an existing game.
  • Knockoff: A game heavily inspired by an existing game.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Bootleg, pirate and knockoff are all exactly the same and this is neither. Those all need to be an exact reproduction which this is not. It's just a hack of a ROM unless they used the code from the guy that remade it from scratch.

It seems like you are purposely going out of your way to always be wrong...   This cart is all of the above and there isn't really an argument to the contrary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Gloves said:
  • Bootleg: A new game which makes heavy unauthorized use of materials from an existing game.
  • Pirate: An unauthorized copy of an existing game.
  • Knockoff: A game heavily inspired by an existing game.

This is vastly different from the action figure market.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...