IGNORED

8-Bit XMAS 2022 Now Available

Deadeye

1 hour ago, Gloves said:
  • Bootleg: A new game which makes heavy unauthorized use of materials from an existing game.
  • Pirate: An unauthorized copy of an existing game.
  • Knockoff: A game heavily inspired by an existing game.

Pirate and bootleg ate often thrown around interchangeably in this market, even being tossed around where they shouldn't be used, i.e Sachen's Taiwan 16 Tile Mahjong isn't either, yet a quick search for"bootleg shit games" or something will turn it up.

Knockoff isn't a very good word either; while I agree with the definition provided, is Trophy a Mega Man knockoff or a spiritual successor? How about Doropie? Same with the word "clone". There's just a lot of baggage and negative connotations with some of these terms, often conjuring up bad quality and stuff too. That's what we want to get away from, as it's just dismissive of whole libraries of games and the hard work of many. I mean, should the Super A'can just be viewed as knockoff of the SNES?

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Pirate and bootleg ate often thrown around interchangeably in this market, even being tossed around where they shouldn't be used, i.e Sachen's Taiwan 16 Tile Mahjong isn't either, yet a quick search for"bootleg shit games" or something will turn it up.

Knockoff isn't a very good word either; while I agree with the definition provided, is Trophy a Mega Man knockoff or a spiritual successor? How about Doropie? Same with the word "clone". There's just a lot of baggage and negative connotations with some of these terms, often conjuring up bad quality and stuff too. That's what we want to get away from, as it's just dismissive of whole libraries of games and the hard work of many. I mean, should the Super A'can just be viewed as knockoff of the SNES?

I'd consider a knockoff to be VERY close to the original; a lot of games in the PS2 era into the PS3 era were knockoffs of God of War. A spiritual successor I'd consider a completely new work which was inspired by a work, or is intended to evoke a similar feeling to the inspirational material.

Much of the term knockoff vs spiritual successor also comes with a mix of time between releases and intent - is the creator openly paying homage to a work, or are they copying a winning formula very closely hoping to make bank off of the understanding that it's "like more of GameX!".

I think they're subtly different, and it gets down to some nitty gritty specifics.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'd consider a knockoff to be VERY close to the original; a lot of games in the PS2 era into the PS3 era were knockoffs of God of War. A spiritual successor I'd consider a completely new work which was inspired by a work, or is intended to evoke a similar feeling to the inspirational material.

Much of the term knockoff vs spiritual successor also comes with a mix of time between releases and intent - is the creator openly paying homage to a work, or are they copying a winning formula very closely hoping to make bank off of the understanding that it's "like more of GameX!".

I think they're subtly different, and it gets down to some nitty gritty specifics.

Yes, I would agree with that to an extent, but as you said, it comes down to splitting hairs a bit. I mean, I think Trophy is closer to Mega Man than Doropie, yet it would be classified as a spiritual successor due to being a guy in the community and the time released, with Doropie potentially receiving flack yet being more different. 

Administrator · Posted

I'm placing my order now; unfortunately I'll be doing so without tracking and just hoping it works out okay:

image.png

I know people were upset recently with Analogue for shipping prices on the Pocket etc., but honestly shipping is just stupid these days. The cheapest (and only) option which includes tracking for a single cart-only NES game is $52 USD.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm placing my order now; unfortunately I'll be doing so without tracking and just hoping it works out okay:

image.png

I know people were upset recently with Analogue for shipping prices on the Pocket etc., but honestly shipping is just stupid these days. The cheapest (and only) option which includes tracking for a single cart-only NES game is $52 USD.

I think both of the last two USA presidencies hiked international shipping rates, that's generally the area they hike the most when raising prices as they know desperate people will pay. Then covid and gas prices likely raised the costs even more.

My folks more or less stopped sending me stuff, aside from a small Christmas gift, as prices are just so stupid. 

• Sad 1

Cant believe I missed this thread, Im glad to see there ate still people excited for these releases. It seemed like not many people cared anymore but clearly I was wrong. I love these christmas games and have been getting them every year since 2011. Got to keep the tradition alive 

Edit: After watching the gameplay I do kinda wish the Super Mario Bros. Xmas Rekringled rom was used as a base. It would have been more season appropriate with the snow and throwing snow balls instead of fire balls

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Does anyone know what happened to NES-City?  They used to make boxes for these Christmas games but the last one they made was for the 2020 release.  It was nice getting their boxes to complement the carts. 

The owner of that site is a moderater here: @fsped09 so you might want to ask him directly what the story is with his website...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The owner of that site is a moderater here: @fsped09 so you might want to ask him directly what the story is with his website...

I’m also curious on this seems both NES City and Uncle Tusk went by the wayside. I’d love to get boxes printed for my older Xmas carts too!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Anyone know if it's just a new table or if anything else has been updated? The homescreen looks to be the same image on both product pages. 

Says all new table in the description. Haven’t played mine yet but I dont have a reason to think BunnyBoy would be lying. 

https://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=173&osCsid=96be4ac5de5d6cb809d624bc0b9360b9

edit: there is a link to a YouTube of the new table too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=qBnX4IuEh8w&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrousb.com%2F&source_ve_path=MTM5MTE3LDI4NjY2&feature=emb_logo

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Thanks 1