IGNORED

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Mario_Friend1982

19 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Here’s a probably typical American question. This is an animated movie which is full of popular American actors/actresses to make it more friendly to mainstream people who could care less about a short Italian plumber. Now my question is, in Taiwan, do you have the American actor audio with Taiwanese subtitles or is it dubbed over audio with English subtitles or some other form of this?

Also, I would have totally been your date lol

He told me last week that it could be watched in both ways either english or chinese.  It was even a consideration to watch both after I brought up a valid point.  Regional differences?

I know spoiler sort of but not, Mario in an early scene plays in the real world on an old NES playing a legit game (not his own.)  Would this be a famicom in chinese markets or maybe the asian NES box?  Even if the chinese got the HK nes, what of Japan?  There could be some pretty fun regional variations to document...which would be great in a SPOILERS THREAD.

Or screw it, use this thread because odds are by now we watched it or you're basically over the grace period.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Pratt was fine, didn't even notice. Jack Black was fine as Bowser until the singing. The Peaches song is annoying and terrible, and her name happens to NOT be Peaches, and a solid chunk of the internet thinks it's the best song in the world. That's my chief complaint, the movie was lots of fun.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
42 minutes ago, Splain said:

Pratt was fine, didn't even notice. Jack Black was fine as Bowser until the singing. The Peaches song is annoying and terrible, and her name happens to NOT be Peaches, and a solid chunk of the internet thinks it's the best song in the world. That's my chief complaint, the movie was lots of fun.

I think it's a new generation discovering ridiculous Jack Black songs

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’ve decided I’m rolling to the theater alone tomorrow during the day to see it. Matinee is only $11.50! My moviegoing has seriously declined since having a child lol

That's what I did for Dune in Imax. Took a day to myself and went alone. It was amazing. Gotta practice that self love.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Here’s a probably typical American question. This is an animated movie which is full of popular American actors/actresses to make it more friendly to mainstream people who could care less about a short Italian plumber. Now my question is, in Taiwan, do you have the American actor audio with Taiwanese subtitles or is it dubbed over audio with English subtitles or some other form of this?

Also, I would have totally been your date lol

There are apparently both English versions (with Chinese subtitles, for sure) and also a Chinese language audio version. This is from the reports I've heard from my class, some have seen the English version, others the Chinese version.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Splain said:

Oh man that was the highlight of the movie. The idea that he's not just an evil overlord but really this emotional guy and sucker for love that has gone unanswered lol. In the context of being the last boss and kidnapper that's just a brilliant touch.

The Super Mario universe never was very dark anyway it was always a "kid's tale villain" type of atmosphere so i think it's on point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, cartman said:

Oh man that was the highlight of the movie. The idea that he's not just an evil overlord but really this emotional guy and sucker for love that has gone unanswered lol. In the context of being the last boss and kidnapper that's just a brilliant touch.

The Super Mario universe never was very dark anyway it was always a "kid's tale villain" type of atmosphere so i think it's on point.

I mean… this was really more like Mario Odyssey The Movie, but without the talking hat and with Donkey Kong.

Well ok, there are a lot of differences but the plot is the same.

26 minutes ago, RH said:

I mean… this was really more like Mario Odyssey The Movie, but without the talking hat and with Donkey Kong.

Well ok, there are a lot of differences but the plot is the same.

Maybe, altough i still noticed a lot of trivia sprinkled in going as far back as the NES/SNES era.

The ending wasn't all that great imo.

1 hour ago, cartman said:

Maybe, altough i still noticed a lot of trivia sprinkled in going as far back as the NES/SNES era.

The ending wasn't all that great imo.

Oh, I legit think they tried to reference at least every main Mario game.  I saw references to every game I was familiar with. SMB 1-3, Mario World, Mario 64 and Odyssey.  At first I was scratching my head as to why they would have Easter eggs for a modern title and then it donned on me—they want to have Easter eggs for everyone, including newer younger fans that might have only played the more recent titles.  This wasn’t just a nostalgia trip.

As a Dad, I appreciated that.  My kids are familiar with the older games cause their Dad is a vintage gaming nut, but I was glad to see the new generation of fans wasn’t left out of the fun.

The movie is by far from perfect but for what it is, it’s amazing.  It’s like a giant Where’s Waldo of Mario and For at least one film, I wouldn’t want it any other way.  They can get a bit more creative with the sequel.  Maybe Bowser won’t be a bad guy and we’ll get something more like the Paper Mario/ Super Mario RPG type of story lines.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, I legit think they tried to reference at least every main Mario game.  I saw references to every game I was familiar with. SMB 1-3, Mario World, Mario 64 and Odyssey.  At first I was scratching my head as to why they would have Easter eggs for a modern title and then it donned on me—they want to have Easter eggs for everyone, including newer younger fans that might have only played the more recent titles.  This wasn’t just a nostalgia trip.

As a Dad, I appreciated that.  My kids are familiar with the older games cause their Dad is a vintage gaming nut, but I was glad to see the new generation of fans wasn’t left out of the fun.

The movie is by far from perfect but for what it is, it’s amazing.  It’s like a giant Where’s Waldo of Mario and For at least one film, I wouldn’t want it any other way.  They can get a bit more creative with the sequel.  Maybe Bowser won’t be a bad guy and we’ll get something more like the Paper Mario/ Super Mario RPG type of story lines.

They would've known that a lot of the people that grew up with the older titles are still active in playing, collecting or even just remembering the character so it makes perfect sense to me. The newer games too use some older concepts it was always a thing.

Also i think people would expect the movie to be faithful to the games and complain why this or that wasn't there or looked a certain way. And the games themselves don't have much of a plot to begin with.

Perhaps it could've been a more hazardous adventure where Mario is close to dying and it peaks with a grand battle in a castle where he topples Bowser and saves the princess, i don't know. Now they went with a "banter & gags" type of violence flavor and that works too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Splain said:

Because they are jack black drones with no good taste in music.  That piece of horrible, very out of place, not just horrible but quite largely just cringy.  Why that guy feels the need to do his lame rock shtick in anything he does is beyond played out into just annoying now.  He did the role well otherwise, but I'm of a mind that when the movie comes to disc, I'll hit the skip button over that minute of ear f'ing abuse (and if I get the CD, that's the ONE track I will NOT MP3 for my phone.)

Since those clowns said they only will reserve the Mario Rap for vinyl which is just warped logic, I'll throw that into the gap.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Because they are jack black drones with no good taste in music.  That piece of horrible, very out of place, not just horrible but quite largely just cringy.  Why that guy feels the need to do his lame rock shtick in anything he does is beyond played out into just annoying now.  He did the role well otherwise, but I'm of a mind that when the movie comes to disc, I'll hit the skip button over that minute of ear f'ing abuse (and if I get the CD, that's the ONE track I will NOT MP3 for my phone.)

Since those clowns said they only will reserve the Mario Rap for vinyl which is just warped logic, I'll throw that into the gap.

I mean you can't really prove a joke to anyone. If you don't like it then that's just the way it is. But the cringe is built into it, the fact he's playing piano and singing a cheesy rock ballad about someone he should be dominating.

I don't think it's out of character. The whole universe is halfway goofy anyway and the evildoers kid friendly. I don't know when this supposed big decline started to happen in your eyes but it sure wasn't from yesterday.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I thought Jack Black actually did fantastic for Bowser.  And I thought the singing part was just fine - it definitely 'matched' the rest of the spirit of the movie and his character in particular.

I really enjoyed the movie.  It was a fun experience that I quite enjoyed.  I'd encourage anyone here in this community, to see it at some point.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cartman said:

I mean you can't really prove a joke to anyone. If you don't like it then that's just the way it is. But the cringe is built into it, the fact he's playing piano and singing a cheesy rock ballad about someone he should be dominating.

I don't think it's out of character. The whole universe is halfway goofy anyway and the evildoers kid friendly. I don't know when this supposed big decline started to happen in your eyes but it sure wasn't from yesterday.

Who said anything about a decline?  His cringe rock has always been insufferable and tends to drag stuff down.  His work is either I think a love it or hate it, and yeah I hate it.  You can't decline when it's already pretty rock bottom.  It just was quite out of place in the movie and painful to listen to.  It felt like it was a stipulation on his part to be himself in the movie, it's just feels forced.

Editorials Team · Posted

I dunno.  I haven't listened to Tenacious D in a very long time, but the fact this song has gone viral seems to prove he's still able to put out silly songs that are successful and popular.

I'm sure there's a lot of young people who are just now discovering that the silly Kung Fu Panda guy has a rock catalog.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Who said anything about a decline?  His cringe rock has always been insufferable and tends to drag stuff down.  His work is either I think a love it or hate it, and yeah I hate it.  You can't decline when it's already pretty rock bottom.  It just was quite out of place in the movie and painful to listen to.  It felt like it was a stipulation on his part to be himself in the movie, it's just feels forced.

I don't mean him i mean Bowser. I understood it as you saying that song was out of character for him. I don't see it as out of character because it never was too serious anyway.

I don't really know much about Jack Black but i do like Tribute and think Fuck her Gently is funny especially with the music video. I don't love Jack Black. I barely know what he does and didn't even recognize him in this, and if it was someone else someone else would've been unhappy instead so yeah there's really not much to it.

• Like 1

I liked the movie, I thought all the characters were fun, the writing was good, loved the animations and it was an interesting enough take on the story without being too outlandish but still a bit quirky.

As for references, there were an unbelievable amount of them, including retro and more modern. This video my SIL sent me covers a lot of things I didn't notice and many that I did.

The standout character for me was the star in the dungeon, he was absolutely hilarious. I also enjoyed Toad, thought Peach had a really strong showing as "not damsel in distress" and stole the show for a lot of the movie. Luigi and Mario had their characteristic personalities and they shined, I didn't even notice it was Pratt once.

Jack Black did a great job as Bowser and as others have said here, it was obviously a joke that this big tough monster was secretly a romantic sap, which makes sense because he keeps stealing the princess and has tried to marry her in the games multiple times. It's literally canon, and they just hammed it up a little bit for a children's cartoon movie...it's not out of place at all. I assumed he was calling her "Peaches" as a pet name and not a mistake on the part of the writing team, it's laughable to think they didn't realize the only song in the movie which repeated the name 50 times was a typo by someone, it's obviously a pet name or dramatization for the song.

• Like 4