IGNORED

New SMB Movie Trailer/Teaser Dropping 10/6/2022?

RH

My wife is a bit of a Chris Pratt fan and she just sent me this:

image.thumb.png.9c31b777d942724d7d21e71c8bf1b545.png

I'll be honest, I forgot this was a thing.  However, looking at all of that legit, Mario Universe feel of it all, I think they both learned from past mistakes with the OG SMB movie, and Sonics failed attempt at making ugly Sonic which they fortunately fixed.

It's Pratt as Mario, which is going to be a hard sell for me personally, but my kids love Emmett from the Lego Movies so much, I'm pretty sure this will be a instant hit in our household.  I remain cautiously optimistic after seeing this poster.

Edited by RH

23 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I wonder what your wife sent you

13 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Error:imageNotFound

7 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I assume this is what he meant to post?

FeOvtwBXwAMXgJN?format=jpg&name=900x900

It's gonna be so weird, haha.

@ZeldaFreak is correct.  Weird, it's loading for me.  She took a screen cap and I copied it from Google Chat.  I guess it copied the link, rather than the image.  I'll try to fix it in OP in a second.

• Like 1

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Why's that?  Just curious.

Well, Martinette is Mario to me.  Period.  Beyond that, there's the old school voices from the cartoons too.

I also just don't want to hear Mario without an Italian accent and, well... I don't want to hear Pratt with a fake one.

I actually do like the guy alright as a comic actor.  I just feel like he' be pretty low on any list of actors I'd consider to be Mario.  But I get it.  He's done a lot of voice work for kids movies, so he's got that notoriety, he's an A-lister with mass appeal Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, all the crap he's made for Amazon and probably other stuff I've not paid attention too, so I understand the choice for getting someone like him to be Mario.  It's just... well, he's nothing like Mario!

Oh that poster does look delightful.

I think it's obvious that the movie won't be for me, or for most other people in this forum honestly, even if a lot of us are big fans of the game. But I'm sure it'll be a fun kids' movie.

People have a hard time with Chris Pratt, and I can see him being in absolutely everything can be off-putting, because he tends to play pretty much the same character. But he's honestly a pretty good actor, and he's one of the few Hollywood actors who also doubles very well as a voice actor. It might be hard to ignore the fact that his voice is super recognizable, but I'm sure they could have done much worse for Mario's voice.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, Martinette is Mario to me.  Period.  Beyond that, there's the old school voices from the cartoons too.

I also just don't want to hear Mario without an Italian accent and, well... I don't want to hear Pratt with a fake one.

I actually do like the guy alright as a comic actor.  I just feel like he' be pretty low on any list of actors I'd consider to be Mario.  But I get it.  He's done a lot of voice work for kids movies, so he's got that notoriety, he's an A-lister with mass appeal Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, all the crap he's made for Amazon and probably other stuff I've not paid attention too, so I understand the choice for getting someone like him to be Mario.  It's just... well, he's nothing like Mario!

Yeah, I dunno man...

I feel like there was a lot of criticism over the job done with Ezio's English/Italian voice work in the Assassin's Creed trilogy, and I thought it was really well done.

I'm trying to imagine Mario passing off an entire movie's worth of Martinette's hyper exaggerated take.

8 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, I dunno man...

I feel like there was a lot of criticism over the job done with Ezio's English/Italian voice work in the Assassin's Creed trilogy, and I thought it was really well done.

I'm trying to imagine Mario passing off an entire movie's worth of Martinette's hyper exaggerated take.

Well, Martinette does do that for affect since he typical only has short, quippy sounds and one-liners here and there.  He is a voice actor, after all, and I think he would have done a fine job.

To be fair, I 100% understand why he's NOT the voice of Mario and I don't really feel "betrayed!" about it as a fan.  I do think he could do it, and do a fine job, and the film could make a lot of money for a kids film, however, I'm not naive to think that movies aren't made by studios for profit.  Getting someone like Pratt to be a voice for a main character will be more expensive that getting a d-list voice actor (let's just be honest) to do the main voice, but having Chris Pratt as top-billing will potentially bring in more people that the movie might without him.

Regardless, my main beef isn't that I wish it was the current voice of Mario as Mario.  It's that I just can't think of Pratt pulling off anything that feels like Mario.  That doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable movie.  It definitely can be.

Maybe he can fain a better NY accent.  That's old school, but I guess that could work too.  I didn't think of that.

29 minutes ago, Sumez said:

When did Martinet transition into Martinette? Did I miss something?

I never said I could spell well, and I'm some times to lazy to google it.

I admit I knew it was a gamble from when I first posted it but... I don't really care.  You all get the point. 😛