IGNORED

DS games that made great use of the touch screen.

G-type

I mentioned in the "What are you playing?" thread how I was drawn towards games that made good use of the touch screen. I'm talking about more than just touching a button on a menu, but games where you couldn't have done them any other way. Here's a few that I thought were notable:

• Pac-Pix
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Kirby Canvas Curse
  • Warioware DIY
  • Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
  • Zelda Phantom Hourglass
  • Trauma Center Under the Knife
  • Nintendogs
  • Soul Bubbles

Other games I still need to play more, but were interesting:

• The World Ends With You
  • Ghost Trick Phantom Detective

Another thumbs up from me for Etrian Odyssey 👍 As for Picross, I actually much prefer just using the D-pad and buttons.

Moon was a pretty cool first-person shooter that made good use of the touch screen for the aiming. I'm assuming Dementium I & II are as good, although I haven't played those myself.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Brickman said:

Henry Hatsworth has great use of the screen. Highly recommend that game, it is a puzzle platformer of sorts.

The Professor Layton games also used the stylus well, although they could easily make the games without it.

inb4SumezhatesonHenryHatsworth!

Fun game!

• Like 1

Sure Picross and Picross 3D work, a game like that by design is faster and smoother using a stylus, finger, mouse even. 🙂  And with that so do those Brain Age/Training first party games too.

Feel the Magic is pretty thin, but it's all touch and makes the game work quite well for how it was designed.

But to me one that stands out above much else is Trace Memory/Another Story.  That one uses the touch panel in so many amazing and unique ways, not just that but the dual screens too right down to using the reflection on the lens glass(plastic) to figure out a puzzle.  A follow up Hotel Dusk did as well, less creatively and intelligently, but it still stands out above fair many others.

• Like 1

I think that Big Bang mini is pretty fun, and it is almost entirely touch screen controls. It's sort of like a bullet hell game where you drag your ship to control it, and can fire off shot from any part of the screen by flicking in the direction you want to shoot at. It penalizes you for missing by having missed shots explode into more bullets you need to dodge

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

I'd say the Zelda games definitely "made use" of the touch screen, but not in a good way.

The improvement hacks that introduce D-pad controls for both DS Zelda games are infinitely better and more natural to play.

I like the DS Zelda games, and the way they control. Definitely willing to die on this hill! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Henry Hatsworth is a good game, you just have bad tastes 😎

Puzzlers and platformers are two of my favourite genres.

Hatsworth's idea of combining them is a really fun and novel concept, and I should love it. But when it manages to be both a bad puzzle game and a bad platformer in the process, that's like a double whammy of badness. I wouldn't recommend anyone wasting their time on it 😄 

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 3

Administrator · Posted
16 hours ago, G-type said:

I mentioned in the "What are you playing?" thread how I was drawn towards games that made good use of the touch screen. I'm talking about more than just touching a button on a menu, but games where you couldn't have done them any other way. Here's a few that I thought were notable:

• Pac-Pix
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Kirby Canvas Curse
  • Warioware DIY
  • Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
  • Zelda Phantom Hourglass
  • Trauma Center Under the Knife
  • Nintendogs
  • Soul Bubbles

Other games I still need to play more, but were interesting:

• The World Ends With You
  • Ghost Trick Phantom Detective

I highly highly HIGHLY recommend Ghost Trick!  It is one of my favorite DS games and I absolutely love it.  Recommend 1,000%

• Thanks 1