IGNORED

Best Offer lowballs getting accepted

Not sure if it’s a sign of the Times or what, but lately a good amount of my lowball best offers are getting accepted on eBay. 

Granted, they are not insultingly low ball- usually 10to 25% below true recently sold retail. I do have a beer or two and throw out a 50% offer that gets snatched up tho as well. Most are 100$+ dollar items. I would call it 1 in 4 accepted offers shock me a bit. 

Market getting cold? 
people arent “AS” greedy as I assume? 
They like my screen name?

Curious if anyone else is seeing the same. 

A lot of stuff that would sell all day seems to be sitting. A local seller has Alpha Sapphire gba cib for 200 I offered 150 2 weeks ago, price is now down to 160. Pokemon games usually just sold. I gave up having them as saved searches and just saw it as a bonus to get one. I see lots of "hoarder" collections for sale where its just shelves of shovelware I guess they thought they would retire on it

I have gotten a few things (non gaming) via bidding that were way underpriced and no one else bid on them.

I think a lot of people's disposable income is being considerably reduced by the pfice increases in so many things.  And people are likely worried about inflation continuing* for the foreseeable future and trying to cut back on expenses even if they still have some disposable income.

Sellers have likely noticed this and are perhaps more willing to get whatever they can.

*For whatever reason -  let's not get into the causes - but people have every reason to think the price increases are going to keep coming.

Edited by Tabonga

I'm seeing something similar @360collector both on ebay, and also local facebook marketplace I largely deal with now.  Things are just starting I guess to fall apart under it's own weight coupled with all the domestic governmental bs that has chipped away at peoples livelihood compounding it.

I've picked off a few SNES games I wouldn't have earlier this year for better prices, both from a lower set offer or just people waffling on it at a natural close.  I got two SNES games that had been around 120-150 for around 90-95 recently, another had been doing 70 I got at 50.

Got a $60 genesis game for $40 (oddly vgpc says I paid 49 I didn't), and paid $25 on another that's worth $45(vgpc again says I paid $35...wtf?!)  VGPC broken.

I don't know if it's because I'm shopping for Wii U strategy guides, but I've been pushing my luck with offers and getting them accepted right away.

Wii U guides may not be the best point of reference though, since nobody is shopping for them. There's no interest in them due to the system in question, and there's no interest from resellers as they're already too uncommon and expensive to be worth buying up. People seem to be eager to just get rid of them.

I'm seeing a few more values drop.  3-4 mo ago I priced my metal slug 7 DS game that's complete in box, the full one with the added poster/mini-dvd/outer sleeve at $100 which was on the low average end.  Now I looked it up again today seeing a copy at a store, seems $70 is fair, another item yet again that lost 1/3 of its value.

Seems there is a trend going here, other stuff I saw at this store had stickers that were older prices from a few months ago as I checked, and paid prices again were like a 1/3 lower more or less.  I think even if we are/aren't in a recession, we are currently seeing some kind of an used games recession. 😉

I'll also add that I follow certain searches on eBay that I've long given up on but I'll still watch some auctions if the starting bid was originally really low.  I've been surprised at where some games have ended up. I definitely think that market is cooling off.

If you've gottem and want to get rid of them, you might be waiting a while before the pump comes back and that might even be just an inflationary one in a couple years.

• Like 1

Artificially inflated games are definitely dropping. I'm finishing up my Wii U set and have a couple of the "heavies" left over. Funky Barn is at $70 but one was listed on eBay in great shape for $50 and my best offer of $40 was accepted quickly.

I'll get Devil's Third and Turbo when those inevitably drop. Lots of people in Facebook groups trying to hype those to the Moon but the joke will be on them soon. Devil's Third is already down from $500+ CIB to $350.

Edited by bowser
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

You guys are making me want to lowball some games 😍 I’m bidding on lots of old computer games, Japanese and US, and I’m still often losing auctions or paying out the butt so not everything is down 😞 

What are you looking for exactly?

And I think we can agree the puffed up stuff where there were/are 100s of thousands of copies that went into the 100+ club will fall off that house of cards, but definitely if it's stupid rare like a Myraid cart, a competition cart(DKC, starfox, nwc), those distro/demo/kiosk bits, and other minimal print run stuff won't crack, level, maybe a light drop, but crack...nope.  It will all retract some, but the fake as F put up stuff from even people paying $30 on a Super Mario World cart to paying $150 on a Knights of the Round, they'll crack, some harder than others since they were higher in price than they should more than others.  It's happening, but I'm kind of hesitant to get positive about it, yet.  If this fear of recession happened in the fall into winter yeah sure, but this could be just a worse than usual summer slump and stupidity could return in the late year as well.

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

What are you looking for exactly?

Lots of rare/historic computer games and Japanese promos. Popular stuff might be cooling off because so much of it shot up way too quickly while people fomo'd their life savings and the world refused to run out of Pokemon games for sale. Just some random neat auctions from the past couple weeks I'm pretty sure are all by far all time high prices:

rNwix4d.png

opnb9MB.png

yVDpqFt.png

Bring on global economic collapse baby.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

You guys are making me want to lowball some games 😍 I’m bidding on lots of old computer games, Japanese and US, and I’m still often losing auctions or paying out the butt so not everything is down 😞 

After seeing the replies to this thread, catch me in the eBay offers being a menace to society lowballing the shit out of everybody. Powerupvideogames is gonna put out a hit on me. 

I’ll just be creeping in my mom’s basement with all the other neckbeards chilling with all this disposable income ready to start taking down heavies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I use the auto decline feature typically set around 60-70% but will often accept my lowest set OBO depending on the item. If I got the item for cheap I am much more inclined to just let it go. Having said that, people will still regularly hit the BIN instead of sending me an offer which seems really strange since I will almost always take off something. 

@DefaultGen You got a really really unique taste there, so yeah that isn't going to budge I would imagine much if at all, probably just go up anyway because anyone serious already was serious, not some toe dipping reseller, investor, or me-too collector with more money than common sense.

When I asked, I have a few boxed up PC games, I'd probably let some of them go but wasn't sure what you were getting at.

@Andy_Bogomil Good call, I'm there with you, locally that is when I put stuff up on marketplace.  If someone lowballs I'll ignore it or counter, but uniquely I have an ace on the hole in town that pays 60% (something more if super hot/easy moved) on video games and 50% on toys.  So if someone comes at me with like a 75-80% of what I ask I'll deal, but if it's near/at/below the 60% mark I end the conversation.  It's so not worth my time and gas money to meet some rando somewhere to get what I could waiting in a save retail store to get paid same/better in $20s immediately. 🙂  I know most people don't have that luck, but still, there just is a point where it can just sit back on the shelf or if it takes a year in a box for trading to someone else.

In the CIB market (mostly SNES/NES/N64/GB) I have definitely seen some auctions go for way less than I was expecting over the past 2 1/2 months...And I've had a few "lowball" (like 20% below pricecharting) offers accepted on games that 6 months ago would have only been on eBay for about 10 minutes before they sold...However, I'm still not seeing a good breadth of games come back into the market...a few years ago it seemed like you could pretty much buy anything at a "reasonable" price...now I feel like I've been waiting 8 months to even just see a CIB copy (within $100 of what I'm willing to pay) of Peace Keepers (SNES), Fighter Destiny 2 (N64) or DuckTales 2 (NES)...Or maybe I just have too many games and my focus is too granular...🤔...Nahhh...

For real tho - lots of softness in the market right now, wouldn't be surprising to see a 10-20% pullback over the next year or so (and more like 65-80% pullback in the sealed/graded market - If that hasn't happened already...I don't really keep up with that stuff)

• Like 1

I have also been getting a bunch of offers accepted from sellers but there has been a decline in buyers though. I think its a combination of a few things. First we are in July the middle of summer. Usually the season which gaming stuff picks up is after Thanksgiving. Second I think the interest level in used video games this year has declined over last year. Also more people are looking to sell stuff online compared to years ago. There are other reasons which can be people aren't at home as much, people are aging out of video game play, and also finances. People need money cause of bills to pay or just moving so they aren't looking at buying. This type of trend is not good for people looking to flip. If you are buying bulk lots and expect a quick return you could be waiting months.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Still hitting 50% offers on the regular (some less!) 🤑

just soaking up crazy deals drenched in the casual speculators tears. So satisfying. Let the bottom fall out!

I appreciate this thread, because I've since been lowballing like a fiend and picking up a bunch of stuff I should have bought years ago.