IGNORED

Best Offer lowballs getting accepted

Sadly, the couple of things I've been after recently, while I haven't totally lowballed (10-20% discount requested on items that haven't sold BIN multiple times and keep getting relisted), I just don't get responses from these people.  I wouldn't mind paying what they're asking for the main RPG book I want ($12.95), save for the fact that they want an equivalent amount in shipping, which I know for a fact is more than double what the parcel post they're offering actually costs (having bought a simliar book last week).  I guess it's just not meant to be.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Sadly, the couple of things I've been after recently, while I haven't totally lowballed (10-20% discount requested on items that haven't sold BIN multiple times and keep getting relisted), I just don't get responses from these people.  I wouldn't mind paying what they're asking for the main RPG book I want ($12.95), save for the fact that they want an equivalent amount in shipping, which I know for a fact is more than double what the parcel post they're offering actually costs (having bought a simliar book last week).  I guess it's just not meant to be.

Dont give up. Overall I probably only hit 10 to 15% of the best offers I throw out there. I just blanket ebay with so many, the 10-15% i do get end up saving me more money than I would If I offered higher relative value less times. 

for years I have operated off of only paying values I am “ok” with paying, regardless of actual or perceived value. Thats what I generate my best offers off of. If it doesnt turn out its not meant to be. 

3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

100% on this post.  I've bumped into that as recent as just yesterday looking up an anime CD soundtrack I wanted.  We all know what media mail or even really a 5-6oz bubble mailer costs...and it's not like $8-10 range.  I can only guess the level of stupidity involved there, it's not like the old days where you'd hide profit in the shipping to avoid fees.  And if it's a handling charge, that's pathetic, and lazy.  I would rather go without, even if it's the only item, than reward the behavior, and it's just what I do -- ignore it.

3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

If you aren't familiar with it you might want to check abebooks.  Their shipping charges are usually in line for media mail rates.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Tabonga said:

If you aren't familiar with it you might want to check abebooks.  Their shipping charges are usually in line for media mail rates.

As a last resort, sure, but I've stayed away from AbeBooks for years simply because the people selling on there are nearly always insane with their prices compared to other outlets.  Sure, the shipping is reasonable, but when they're starting a common book at $45 when you can pick it up for half that or less on eBay, or even Amazon, the sellers sticking to actual media mail rates becomes much less important.

20 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Dont give up. Overall I probably only hit 10 to 15% of the best offers I throw out there. I just blanket ebay with so many, the 10-15% i do get end up saving me more money than I would If I offered higher relative value less times.

Update:  The item timed out again, got relisted, so I re-sent my offer (since I'd only caught the first relisting with a couple of hours to go) again.  This morning I actually got a counter offer that was only a buck more than I had offered, so I bit and went ahead and sealed the deal.  Then found another re-list and did the same thing, only to have it time out too, lol.  I'll keep an eye open for it to show back up again and see if they're willing to accept a lower offer the third time around, lol.

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

As a last resort, sure, but I've stayed away from AbeBooks for years simply because the people selling on there are nearly always insane with their prices compared to other outlets.  Sure, the shipping is reasonable, but when they're starting a common book at $45 when you can pick it up for half that or less on eBay, or even Amazon, the sellers sticking to actual media mail rates becomes much less important.

I have actually had really good results at abebooks - some times there does seem to be a bandwagon effect (well if someone else is asking a ridiculous price it is ok for me too do it also.... go figure).  For common stuff I often find things below ebay prices (it always surprises me how ebay sellers will want more for a used book than it goes for new on Amazon).  I always check all three sources (along with a couple of others at times) before popping for something (if I do).   I really miss halfprice.com.