IGNORED

Help with Pricecharting request - We did it!

EDIT: Just got an email that Pricecharting updated a date filter and percentage tracker for collection sets.  Not exactly what I had requested but in the spirit of it.  Thanks for updating my idea, everyone!

Hello, everyone. 

I use pricecharting for my collection tracking and submitted a request that I thought would be helpful to others.  I wanted them to have a sort/filter feature that can show just the standard retail release library for a region when looking at a console.  For example, the NES filter on pricecharting has become bloated with over 1,100 entries and determining the cost/price of completing the standard set has become more and more difficult.  There are a random selection of homebrews, games from other regions, after-market re-releases (like LRG), unlicensed games, etc. that have found their way on the NES page.  While tracking these items are important, being able to limit the noise and just look at the standard retail release library I think would be a valuable tool for every console for collectors.  

If you like this filter/sort idea, please up-vote on their request feature page:  https://pricecharting.userecho.com/en/communities/1/topics/1364-add-console-sets-for-original-retail-releases-as-a-sort-feature

I don't want the discussion to get bogged down with the accuracy/usefulness/efficacy of pricecharting, that's a whole other can of worms, but just to see if other collectors like this idea for the sort/filter.  Gamevaluenow had this feature and it was great to look at how many games I was missing for a set or what % of the library I owned, the price of a whole set, etc.  Unfortunately, GVN was sold to the goons at GoCollect and I haven't used it in a long time.  Pricecharting became my backup but I miss this feature of tracking system sets.  I now track the libraries I am trying to complete manually with spreadsheets, which has become tedious.  Having [accurate] libraries on a widely-used site like pricecharting would be a great tool for the community so I thought it was worth sharing.  

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

The Limited Run Games releases are part of the standard retail release library, they're licensed releases.

I respectfully disagree.  They're not official through Nintendo and are after market releases.  Also no seal of quality (although that was more marketing/monopolizing than anything else).  They're neat and I own several but I don't count them towards the library / standard retail releases 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

The Limited Run Games releases are part of the standard retail release library, they're licensed releases.

Would love to see your proof of that, Especially for something like this:

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nes/metal-storm-limited-run-collector's-edition

Edited by MrWunderful

It seems a bit interesting to not count a LRG release, meanwhile people require like, Nintendo World Championship or something bizarre like that as if that counts for anything. Would someone say that Double Dragon 4 or Neon From LRG doesn't count, but Final Fight Guy on SNES does despite never having a formal retail release?

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

I respectfully disagree.  They're not official through Nintendo and are after market releases.  Also no seal of quality (although that was more marketing/monopolizing than anything else).  They're neat and I own several but I don't count them towards the library / standard retail releases 

I'm going to apply your logic to other games that shouldn't count.

They're not official Nintendo - So all of the unlicensed Tengen and Camerica games don't count.

They're after market releases - Assuming the market is when the NES console was sold, that means all of the 1991+ games don't count, including Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, Battleship and Wario's Woods don't count.

No seal of quality - That means the first print of Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't count, that one was initially released without a seal.

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Would love to see your proof of that, Especially for something like this:

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nes/metal-storm-limited-run-collector's-edition

Did it get an official release through a retail channel? Yes.

Is it licensed by the original developer? Yes.

Is it playable on the original hardware? Yes.

I don't see what the difference is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm going to apply your logic to other games that shouldn't count.

They're not official Nintendo - So all of the unlicensed Tengen and Camerica games don't count.

They're after market releases - Assuming the market is when the NES console was sold, that means all of the 1991+ games don't count, including Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, Battleship and Wario's Woods don't count.

No seal of quality - That means the first print of Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't count, that one was initially released without a seal.

Yeah the licensed set doesn't include Tengen, Wisdom Tree, etc. Those are unlicensed.  Some people include them in the set and some don't.  I personally don't, but I'm less stringent on these since they were a product of the times during the consoles' lives and my religious parents got us a few Wisdom Tree games as kids (btw Spiritual Warfare is a good game)

1991+ doesn't count because NES consoles werent sold then? The NES toploader was released in 1993.  Are you suggesting the NES life was over in 1991 because the SNES came out?  Nintendo was still marketing it, selling consoles, and publishing games.  It's lifespan was still going for 3 more years.  

Seal of Quality was a just an example of going through Nintendo for official releases.  It was more of a marketing thing anyway like I already said. 

I'm talking about the original commercially available official releases for a console during its lifetime.  For example, there are the 251 North American Dreamcast games that came out during the life of the console.  I'm not going to add homebrews that came out in like 2015 to the north american set.  They aren't from Sega, they aren't getting rates by the ESRB, they're a decade-plus after the consoles life.  I'm going to go for the batch of original releases that are from its life.  For NES, Warios Woods was the final game during the consoles life and would be the cutoff.  Frogger for SNES, Just Dance 9,000 for Wii, etc.   

All this to say the "console set" definition is subjective but generally speaking the commercially available games during a consoles life are what makes up the sets that collectors go for.  Theres a whole part of VGS forums to defining console sets from the consoles life.  I'm not saying I am right and my opinion is the end all be all, but VGPC already has a bloated list of NES games that include all these homebrew, LRG releases, after-market, variants, unlicensed games, etc games and it would be nice to have a filter to not have to scroll through ~400 of these when working on the licensed NES console set.  It would also be nice to track completion % for a co soleibrary with these parameters. 

Other consoles listed om their site have games from Japan listed under the US/NTSC sets as well as the JP/NTSC sets.  Just want to be able to keep using their site and filter out the noise when looking at console sets

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

They are not licensed by Nintendo which has always been the determining factor. I would consider it to fall under unlicensed retail release. 

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

It seems a bit interesting to not count a LRG release, meanwhile people require like, Nintendo World Championship or something bizarre like that as if that counts for anything. Would someone say that Double Dragon 4 or Neon From LRG doesn't count, but Final Fight Guy on SNES does despite never having a formal retail release?

I don’t know of many people that count an NWC for the set.  Final Fight maybe up for discussion but it was manufactured by Nintendo and has retail packaging. None of the LRG stuff was licensed by Nintendo. Same applies for all the Game Boy stuff LRG releases now. 

As always people can define their own set list. I think the majority has decided what goes into a licensed set by now and it can be altered from there to fit ones needs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You started identifying it as the standard retail release library, now you're adding an additional qualification of licensed.

The Limited Run Games are standard retail NES releases but if you add (Nintendo) licensed as a qualification, they no longer fit.

In the OP it said filter out after market. Those releases are the definition of the after market release...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Social Team · Posted

Aftermarket means after the market of the NES consoles is over.  Hell, I'd say you can include any NES game was that was made after the first year or so the NES no longer being made because the MARKET still existed.  A console market doesn't end as soon as production ends.  BUT I think it's fair to say it "ends" when the last "official" release of a game happens.  If you want to carry this idea forward for more modern games I'd say it ends when the last "official" release of a physical game happens.  

• Agree 1

>_> extremities suck.

Look at the mass majority of stuff and categorize based on that, then leave room to acknowledge that extremities exist.

Nintendo has a software licensing program, therefor it stands to reason that software that doesn’t use this program are unlicensed, and software that does use this licensing are the standard releases.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Help with Pricecharting request - We did it!