IGNORED

Thoughts on Mega Man 5 on the NES?

NostalgicMachine

9 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

Mega Man X 1-5 are games I've been meaning to play for a very long time. I would probably just get one of the compilations of them though, as I think there's a digital one for the Switch.

There is, but it's actually two separate games.  The first "legacy collection" has the parts 1-4 and the second has parts 5-8.

If you don't care about Mega Man X7 or X8, there are other compilations that have the first 6 games.  I think they're on PS2/Xbox/GameCube.

The new Mega Man X collection has a bad rep, it's supposedly plagued pretty badly by input lag, so probably not the best choice unfortunately. IIRC the PS2 collection is actually fine. 

15 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

Mega Man X 1-5 are games I've been meaning to play for a very long time. I would probably just get one of the compilations of them though, as I think there's a digital one for the Switch.

Do yourself a favor and stop after X4 😄

Ugh Legacy...  and awhile at it, also middle finger ugh Capcom with the MM and MMX collections on GC vs PS2.  Get the PS2 release.  Those idiots reversed the jump and fire buttons on the GC, PS2 too, but on PS2 they allow button mapping while on the cube you're stuck with broken unintuitive controlers that'll throw you into too many deaths and hits of damage thinking you're trying to jump or fire when it's the opposite.  Avoid at all costs.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh Legacy...  and awhile at it, also middle finger ugh Capcom with the MM and MMX collections on GC vs PS2.  Get the PS2 release.  Those idiots reversed the jump and fire buttons on the GC, PS2 too, but on PS2 they allow button mapping while on the cube you're stuck with broken unintuitive controlers that'll throw you into too many deaths and hits of damage thinking you're trying to jump or fire when it's the opposite.  Avoid at all costs.

Only the Xbox version of Mega Man Anniversary Collection has an option to configure the controls. And the PS2 version has some of its own issues that people rarely mention, like the noticeably longer load times (Mega Man 1 taking six seconds on GameCube and thirteen seconds on PS2, for example), large black bars on the sides of the screens in Mega Man 1-6 (noticeable even on a small CRT TV) instead of normal full-screen, and muffled audio in the two Arcade games (the audio for these games in the GameCube version is crisp and clear, sounding more like the Arcade originals). As far as extras go, the PS2 version has a Mega Man cartoon episode which has been released on DVD multiple times with all of the other episodes in better quality. Meanwhile the GameCube version has a history of Mega Man Interview video, which is a far superior extra. I personally never had an issue with the controls, since you use two buttons most of the time and Metroid Prime has similar controls (even in the included NES Metroid game).

Blame Atomic Planet for MMAC's flaws. They developed that collection.

image.jpeg.db6ecee0c985f5dddeab7866d3887e2f.jpeg

image.jpeg.610dc2d39bafce501dc00eef3bd9fc1f.jpeg

As for Mega Man X Collection, both versions are nearly identical and have an option to configure the controls in every game. So, the GameCube version is basically just as good. Also, unlike MMAC, MMXC was actually developed by Capcom, so no wonder the quality is better than MMAC.

Oh and while you're collecting Mega Man X games, get the GameCube version of Mega Man X: Command Mission. It runs at 60 FPS vs the PS2 versions 30 FPS, and also has more collectible Figures than the PS2 version (see my blog for more info).

image.jpeg.ba9872a1b10c135e844f5d6b1bdbd733.jpeg

image.jpeg.3244a29577c52e4a99893561a05c3b8b.jpeg

But back to the NES games.  Let's be realistic here. The best console to play Mega Man 1-6 is still the NES.

Edited by MegaMan52

I'll put this put this out, if I were to buy a MM game again on the Gamecube, and i would, it would be the 8bit-ish style throwback Network Transmission as it was just fantastic.

Now I got that GBA game I found for a couple bucks today MMBN2, kind of curious about it a little as I only played the first some.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, Sumez said:

The new Mega Man X collection has a bad rep, it's supposedly plagued pretty badly by input lag, so probably not the best choice unfortunately. IIRC the PS2 collection is actually fine. 

Do yourself a favor and stop after X4 😄

Play X5 and X6 improvement hack on emulator 

x5
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6131/

X6
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4035/

Edited by phart010
  • Wow! 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, MegaMan52 said:

Mega Man 5 is my favorite game in the series (with Mega Man 3 being a close second), and I remember posting several reasons why in your Mega Man 2 is overrated topic on NintendoAge which I'll list again below. 

I seem to remember people liking Mega Man 5 a lot in the early 2000's. It was up there with Mega Man 2 and 3. Nowadays it is probably one of the most underrated games in the series.

Reasons why Mega Man 5 is my favorite: 

Rush Coil is different - Now, I'm not saying this is a better version of Rush Coil but I'm glad they at least tried something a little different. 

Each level has something unique - Gyro Man's stage has an elevator section where you need to avoid spikes, Stone Man's stage has no less than three hidden rooms, Star Man's stage has low gravity, Gravity Man's stage has changing gravity, Wave Man's stage has both a section where you jump on bubbles and an auto-scroll section, Charge Man's stage has you riding both on top of and inside a train, etc.

Rush Marine was removed - Other than Mega Man II on Game Boy, Rush Marine isn't very useful in the games it's been in. Not only that, but Mega Man 5 only has one underwater level.

Beat is useful - Beat was introduced in this game, and you know what? He's useful, especially during the final battle.

The Super Arrow - I like the Super Arrow because it is basically a three in one item. You can ride on it, you can use it as a weapon, and you can use it on walls.

The Mega Buster is awesome - The charged shots look cool in this game and have a different sound effect than Mega Man 4. It's slightly disappointing they didn't re-use this game's charge shot sound effect in Mega Man 6, but at least it was used in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. People criticize the Mega Buster for being overpowered in this game, but the game doesn't force you to use it. You use other weapons on the bosses like the other games in the series.

Yes I remember that thread and your posts! All great points that still stand. I feel MM5 is underrated as well; 4, 5, and 6 are overlooked (and still my personal faves) via the first 3 IMHO.

I had no idea that MM3 was rushed and is basically a beta release, btw. Even the designers admit it. I never knew this until recently!

2 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

Yes I remember that thread and your posts! All great points that still stand. I feel MM5 is underrated as well; 4, 5, and 6 are overlooked (and still my personal faves) via the first 3 IMHO.

I had no idea that MM3 was rushed and is basically a beta release, btw. Even the designers admit it. I never knew this until recently!

Although MM3 was rushed, someone took the entire list of bugs/complaints from the developers and fixed them all in a patch. It’s called Megaman 3 improvement hack.

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

Although MM3 was rushed, someone took the entire list of bugs/complaints from the developers and fixed them all in a patch. It’s called Megaman 3 improvement hack.

I'll have to check that out. I preferred 3 to 2 myself, but there's just something about the later entries that feels more refined and polished. I love them all, truthfully.

8 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

I'll have to check that out. I preferred 3 to 2 myself, but there's just something about the later entries that feels more refined and polished. I love them all, truthfully.

Here it is:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/992/

Here is the bug fix log:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/nes/patches/992readme.txt

Looks like one of our own members here @MegaMan52has the top ranked video on YouTube for play throughs:

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Here it is:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/992/

Here is the bug fix log:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/nes/patches/992readme.txt

Looks like one of our own members here @MegaMan52has the top ranked video on YouTube for play throughs:

** IMPORTANT!! - Rush Jet/Marine glitch fixed. You can no longer access them "early" anymore.

Pass.  I love glitching the early access to Rush Jet.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:14 AM, twiztor said:

i think 5 is a pretty great game. Unfortunately, to me it just feels very "same-y". Where as MM3 introduced the slide, and MM4 brought in the charge shot, MM5 just felt like more of the same. i think that is the real reason it gets overlooked.

This would be my answer as well. A nice 'safe' entry into the series. Nothing special but also nothing too risky or wrong with it in my opinion.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:19 AM, JamesRobot said:

I dislike the charge shot.  I love the entire OG Mega Man series but 4 and 5 are my least favorites.  They're still both about a 8 or a 9.

2>3>1>6>4>5

Just curious, what is it about 6 (my personal fave on the NES) that stands out against 4 and 5 for you, dude?

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

Just curious, what is it about 6 (my personal fave on the NES) that stands out against 4 and 5 for you, dude?

Love the Rush suits.  I will use the Rush power armor for charge shots.  Feels more like an additional weapon and the shot is more powerful even if it has limited range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Love the Rush suits.  I will use the Rush power armor for charge shots.  Feels more like an additional weapon and the shot is more powerful even if it has limited range.

I agree and I didn't realize how much the Rush suits added to the gameplay, until I worked by way backwards to the other games again, lol. Everyone can fight me all day; 3 and 2 feel almost unplayable to me. There's so much missing when you're the rarity that enjoys the charge/slide additional mechanics of the latter three entries, etc.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

I agree and I didn't realize how much the Rush suits added to the gameplay, until I worked by way backwards to the other games again, lol. Everyone can fight me all day; 3 and 2 feel almost unplayable to me. There's so much missing when you're the rarity that enjoys the charge/slide additional mechanics of the latter three entries, etc.

The slide is cool, but the charge shot turns the series from a "run'n'gun" to a "stop'n'wait" for me.  I just want to plow that shoot button with my thumb all day long without having to wait all the time for my gun to be ready... 😛

40 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The slide is cool, but the charge shot turns the series from a "run'n'gun" to a "stop'n'wait" for me.  I just want to plow that shoot button with my thumb all day long without having to wait all the time for my gun to be ready... 😛

Well, nothing's really stopping you from "run'n'gun" though, right?  I mean, the charging your shot is optional...no one is making you sit there and charge your shot.

10 hours ago, Estil said:

Well, nothing's really stopping you from "run'n'gun" though, right?  I mean, the charging your shot is optional...no one is making you sit there and charge your shot.

Enemy invincibility frames is stopping it. When enemies gain invicibility right after taking a hit, mashing the shot button in their face becomes extremely ineffective compared to charging shots. I don't think it's ruining any games, but I'm not a big fan of the charge shot for this reason either.

Fortunately it's not bad in Mega Man 4 at all, which is one of the reasons it's the best in the series. Most enemies can still be taken down with quick shots, and only the bosses have any invincibility. But the later games get worse with it, and it's especially bad in the X games where you really want to be holding the shot button at all times while performing other actions.

• Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

I'm on the fence about it.  Maybe it was because of burnt out when I played it.  I started playing the anniversary collection on PS4 and made my way through 1 - 5.  I'm two bosses into 6 and have just kind of stopped.

I think I ranked them: 

1) 2 - this was nostalgia as much as anything for me.

2) 3 - I thoroughly enjoyed this and felt they added a lot of fun stuff to it.

3) 1 and 4 - These aren't bad by any means and this is just my personal preferences.  1 was really hard for me though and I absolutely spammed the heck out of the save button.

4) 5 - Granted I was playing the games pretty much back to back.  I'm probably in the minority here, but I am not a huge fan of the exploration in these games.  First because I have this uncanny ability to not find anything and Two not finding things really makes the game harder.  Also 5 just felt like Mega Man 4 part two to me.

With that being said I still think Mega Man is a great series and a "bad" NES Mega Man game is still a pretty darn good game.

It'd be unfair for me to rank 6 yet because I haven't finished it but right now I'd tie it with 5.