IGNORED

Thoughts on Mega Man 5 on the NES?

NostalgicMachine

I'm surprised about that given how prolific Mega Man is, but the Makaimura franchise has some of the best games ever made, so it really should be at least as strong.

What are the 18 titles though? I guess they are including the spinoff titles

Ghosts n Goblins
Ghouls n Ghosts
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Wonderswan Makaimura
Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins
Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection

Gargoyle's Quest
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Demon's Crest

Maximo
Maximo vs. Army of Zin

That weird The Incredible Machine-like spinoff

This still leaves 6 titles? Do some of the ports count? NES GnG is different enough from the original, and still released by Capcom, but the MegaDrive and Master System versions of Ghouls were both by Sega. Goku Makaimura Kai could definitely count as a separate title. As for compilations, all I can think of is the PS1 one which was a part of a series of other Capcom franchises.

If we're including all of those, that still only takes us to 15. Man, Capcom have been pushing the definition here I think.

Edited by Sumez

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm surprised about that given how prolific Mega Man is, but the Makaimura franchise has some of the best games ever made, so it really should be at least as strong.

What are the 18 titles though? I guess they are including the spinoff titles

Ghosts n Goblins
Ghouls n Ghosts
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Wonderswan Makaimura
Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins
Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection

Gargoyle's Quest
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Demon's Crest

Maximo
Maximo vs. Army of Zin

That weird The Incredible Machine-like spinoff

This still leaves 6 titles? Do some of the ports count? NES GnG is different enough from the original, and still released by Capcom, but the MegaDrive and Master System versions of Ghouls were both by Sega. Goku Makaimura Kai could definitely count as a separate title. As for compilations, all I can think of is the PS1 one which was a part of a series of other Capcom franchises.

If we're including all of those, that still only takes us to 15. Man, Capcom have been pushing the definition here I think.

I think since Capcom created the series, the IP is theirs and even if Sega developed a game in the series, it’s considered a Capcom title since they’d still be collecting royalties. So you would count the Master System one. There’s also obscure ports like the x68000, the supergrafx, probably pc versions, arcade versions, etc

On 7/24/2022 at 12:54 PM, Sumez said:

Enemy invincibility frames is stopping it. When enemies gain invicibility right after taking a hit, mashing the shot button in their face becomes extremely ineffective compared to charging shots. I don't think it's ruining any games, but I'm not a big fan of the charge shot for this reason either.

Fortunately it's not bad in Mega Man 4 at all, which is one of the reasons it's the best in the series. Most enemies can still be taken down with quick shots, and only the bosses have any invincibility. But the later games get worse with it, and it's especially bad in the X games where you really want to be holding the shot button at all times while performing other actions.

I never knew this, and I hardly use the charge shot if I'm being honest!

23 hours ago, Sumez said:

I think not a direct straight port, but something that brought more to the table probably counted.  Like GnG on GBC gave an added mode and save feature.  The GBA one gave a mix of the SNES and Genesis game rolled into one 'arrange' mode version of the game and has to be replayed if you want to see the other stage on a split course per stage.

After that still coming up short, probably GQ2 on Gameboy Japan only got, the original arcade versions of GnG and Ghouls too, and there were 2 half baked but legit GnG titles thrown on Android/iOS I think a decade ago now too outside of the arcade ports of those 2 originals.

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

there were 2 half baked but legit GnG titles thrown on Android/iOS I think a decade ago now

Definitely missed those two. In that case I think the only ports that are being counted are the NES and PS1 ones, and possibly the SuperGrafx one.

Anyway that's enough derailing. Now let's identify the 158 Mega Man games 🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MDM702 said:

I liked NES Megaman growing up but rarely ever finished them multiple times besides the third one. IMHO the NES Megaman games are OK, but I feel they are too alike. The only Mega Man game that is an all-time favorite for me is the first Mega Man X. Even the later X games get redundant just like the original NES titles, but the first is the most memorable and engaging for me. I didn't like how Zero was utilized in the SNES sequels. I honestly felt gyped how you couldn't use him anywhere and how he could get damaged and lost. MMX4 did better in that regard. Probably the best of the 32-bit MMX games. Also, I thought the PSP remake of MM1 is better than the original in my opinion.

Somehow I like x2 the best. I recognize the greatness of the original MMX though

X2>X3>X

X2 - seems like it has the best balance with a dash of difficulty. 

X3 - has the most replayability for me. 

X - played as a kid, and I really like the bosses and levels,, but the difficulty is too forgiving.

Own X4, have not played,, and have not contemplated playing the rest.