IGNORED

Which had the higher jump? Mario 1-2 or 2-3

Nintegageo

Which?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Mario 1 to 2
    • Mario 2 to 3

I'm assuming we are talking about the jump in enjoyment over the previous game and I'm also assuming that we are talking about the US versions of the games.  In that case, I say the jump from 1 to 2.  But that should be obvious coming from me considering I enjoy SMB2 more than any other Mario game.

If we are talking about the Japanese games, than I would say that it's very easy to pick 2 to3 over 1 to 2.

I clicked based on improved quality over the previous title and kept it to the US version too.

At first I almost clicked/saved on SMB1-2 but I went with 2-3.  SMB1 set the basic starter template, it also pushed the capabilities of the NES without going into special chips(mapper) of any sort yet again it was basic.  The jump to 1-2 was utterly tiny in Japan, but huge in the US.  SMB2 gets dumped on by trolls, but the game was a huge boost in visual quality, audio quality, created the gameplay mechanics that influenced SMB3 and all later games along with setting up many staple enemies, also set the idea of worlds having more of a theme in change too.

Yet despite all that SMB2 to SMB3 really did it more, largely, though in one respect it sadly took a backwards step, quality character sprites, especially Mario...ugh poor Mario.  Mario goes from like an 8bit version of the cartoon dude in the ads and tv show, to something that's more crude, harsh, detail sucked out of its face with now black dot beady eyes, it's just blander.  But that aside, that's largely it.  SMB3 was a huge jump with the amount of completely different zones, a huge pile of abilities gained from those suits, multiple world maps, a quite wide and diverse soundtrack, challenge battles(hammer bros), far more use of unique looks, designs, colors, audio, just all around depth across the board pretty much.

• Like 1

Which "2" are we talking about? The American "Super Mario Bros. 2" kinda offsets the comparison, considering it's such a massive change in style, and we all know why that is, so there's no reason to elaborate on it. It's not really a "jump" as much as it's an offshoot.
It would be like asking what's the biggest jump between "Street Fighter 1 to F-Zero" and "F-Zero to Street Fighter II"

But going by the actual Super Mario Bros. 2, the answer would be self explanatory, since SMB2 is basically an expansion pack to the first game, with SMB3 being a full blown sequel to them both.

Edited by Sumez

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

SMB2 ... created the gameplay mechanics that influenced SMB3 and all later games along with setting up many staple enemies

I'm a little confused.

Which mechanics? It was the first game where you could pick things up, but not the same method as SMB3. What others?

Which enemies? Besides Bob-ombs, unless you mean other series like Paper and Party.

7 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Sorry, I was half asleep while writing that.

I actually just meant impressive-ness. Like, which one had the higher jump in graphic, gameplay, secrets, etc. Which one was 'wow'-ier.

You still haven't specified which version of Super Mario Bros. 2. It doesn't sound like you're aware different regions of the world got vastly different versions of the same game and the actual version Japan got has no change at all, it's literally just more levels in the same engine.

5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Did you know the real Super Mario Bros 2 is actually a game called Doki Doki Literature Club?

Doki Doki Panic

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Link said:

I'm a little confused.

Which mechanics? It was the first game where you could pick things up, but not the same method as SMB3. What others?

Which enemies? Besides Bob-ombs, unless you mean other series like Paper and Party.

Yes they mechanic is different, but the inspiration is from there.  Instead of bop em on the head and then grab n' go, it's just pick up and use as a weapon.  It's similar but not.

The enemies I've seen return off the top of my head would be Pokey, shy guy variants, snifits, ninji, and Birdo is all over the place too.  They've popped up in main line stuff in some cases, others the RPG, sports, kart, etc spinoff series games.

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

3 is the "wowiest" of them all, so I'll go with 2 to 3. Also, I'd rather play 1 than 2 any day.

Honestly, same. Though I was so young when the games were new I can imagine a serious 'wow'. The other thing is 3 was on the tail end o the NES so might not have seemed as nuts as other games or other consoles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Link said:

That's I say that's a joke son

foghorn leghorn classics GIF by Looney Tunes

His people are completely literal. Jokes are going to go over his head.

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

The other thing is 3 was on the tail end o the NES so might not have seemed as nuts as other games or other consoles.

It was a really big freakin' deal at the time. So was SMB2 for that matter (Mario Madness!) and I'm hard-pressed from here to say which was more so. But from what I recall, people weren't at the time discounting SMB3 due to more advanced tech. It was sold out for a long time. The video store where my aunt worked had a Famicom copy with adaptor for rent because they couldn't get an American copy. Talk about supply chain issues! SMB2 had similar overwhelming demand; it was reported on the evening news.

I wouldn't even call it the tail end of the NES, a year and a half before Super Nintendo. The hype machine had a different shape then. I think that timeframe meant more then than it does now and we hear more about projects in development these days. 

I know I remember thinking SMB3 was gonna be the greatest game ever, and I'd still be playing it decades hence, in my grown-up bachelor mansion, on a big-screen TV... I wasn't entirely wrong. 

• Like 1