Which had the higher jump? Mario 1-2 or 2-3

Nintegageo

Which?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Mario 1 to 2
    • Mario 2 to 3

14 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Honestly, same. Though I was so young when the games were new I can imagine a serious 'wow'. The other thing is 3 was on the tail end o the NES so might not have seemed as nuts as other games or other consoles.

I do agree that SMB2 had some pretty legit wow factor. So many colors, multiple characters, more warps, that weird negative zone or whatever is called, just an overwhelming amount of new shit. Still, three was so unbelievably good that I never thought I'd go back to playing any previous Mario games ever again.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 5/5/2022 at 8:18 PM, MrWunderful said:

Mario 2 charge jump was the highest

On 5/5/2022 at 9:16 PM, Br81zad said:

I literally thought this was about how many pixels each version leaped. Lol

16 hours ago, rdrunner said:

So in World 1-2 there's the really high jump to the warp zone vs World 2-3 with just the long, low bridge...

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

Luigi had the highest jump, but Princess Toadstool can float, so I give her the edge.

I legit thought this was about jump-height, too...

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.9cb82dfc025edbcc093facb13eeeee54.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/6/2022 at 6:09 PM, Link said:

It was a really big freakin' deal at the time. So was SMB2 for that matter (Mario Madness!) and I'm hard-pressed from here to say which was more so. But from what I recall, people weren't at the time discounting SMB3 due to more advanced tech. It was sold out for a long time. The video store where my aunt worked had a Famicom copy with adaptor for rent because they couldn't get an American copy. Talk about supply chain issues! SMB2 had similar overwhelming demand; it was reported on the evening news.

I wouldn't even call it the tail end of the NES, a year and a half before Super Nintendo. The hype machine had a different shape then. I think that timeframe meant more then than it does now and we hear more about projects in development these days. 

I know I remember thinking SMB3 was gonna be the greatest game ever, and I'd still be playing it decades hence, in my grown-up bachelor mansion, on a big-screen TV... I wasn't entirely wrong. 

I have to agree. Sega Genesis was cool when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out but at that point in time with no Sonic yet a lot of what Sega was focusing on were arcade ports, sports and stuff more geared toward older kids and up. Other than Castle of Illusion I don't remember a lot of other cartoony platforming games in the early days so the NES still had a lot to offer for people who really liked that genre in 1990. Plus everyone I knew who had a Genesis kept their NES and still went back to play it too, including myself. Sonic the Hedgehog is the game that I think really attracted the younger kids such as myself to the system alongside good cartoon character games like Taz-Mania and even more Disney games. Having a Genesis and later an SNES too, that didn't deter me from wanting to have as many NES games as possible. Plus they were cheaper by then so I could get even more of them.

• Agree 1

On 5/6/2022 at 6:09 PM, Link said:

I know I remember thinking SMB3 was gonna be the greatest game ever, and I'd still be playing it decades hence, in my grown-up bachelor mansion, on a big-screen TV... I wasn't entirely wrong. 

Yeah, instead of the big screen, you're scrounging back alleys and thrift stores for a CRT. Any CRT. 😛

• Haha 1