IGNORED

Switch recommendations for a 5 year old

Now get brutal

Hey guys,

I’m looking for game recommendations for my son’s 5th birthday. Being almost 5 years old, he has pretty good platforming skills, but very little patience for unforgiving deaths and restarts. I’m mainly after Switch titles, as that system is the easiest for our family to play together, and easiest for my wife to operate if I’m not around.

A year or so ago, I began by starting him with Mario Kart 8, toggled on the auto drive and bumper rails and allowed him to become familiar with using a joystick. Before long he was driving on his own and navigating the menus from memory as he cannot read.

For Christmas 2021 I bought him a PJ Masks game for Switch, that has basic platforming and he quickly completed this, stating it was too easy and not that much fun. 

Next up was Lego Jurassic World. This took him a little while to understand, but the co-op in the Lego games is excellent and allows for me to help him through levels and free play if/when he is stuck. As of last night he is at about 97% completion, leaving only a few “collectables” left and he will have 100%’d his first game.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury was released in February of 2021. He has completed the minimum 50 cat bells to fight the final Bowser and just loves completing the final battle again and again and again. As for Super Mario 3D World; we have completed this as a family and have unlocked both bonus levels. He has been replaying each level and getting all the collectables (green stars and stamps) and is at about 75% completion.

So, what’s next?

He really badly wants to play Minecraft, but I’m afraid it will be terribly difficult, since he cannot read yet. The new Kirby game just launched, and I’ve heard good things, but I have not played it for myself yet.

Ideas?

My youngest son is 5 and he plays Breath of the Wild more than anything.  He is surprisingly good it it for his age.  He still needs my help for difficult enemy battles, and he isn't reading yet, so I help him with some of the story elements, but overall, he can play it on his own.  He also has played a lot of Mario Kart 8 and 3D World, but of course you have already mentioned those.  

Another suggestion would be Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.  That's another one that he has been able to play on his own without much help.  I sometimes step in to help him solve some of the more difficult levels.  That game has a invincibility item that becomes available if you die too many times in the same level (like 3D World).  So he has that option if he is having trouble.  

Super Mario Party is another good one that he can play without much help.  Although, with this game he will probably need help at the beginning navigating the menu and learning some of the games.  He might have trouble learning the "board game" portion of Mario Party.  My kids never really got into that.  They pretty much just play the individual games and take turns picking with game they want.  

I will also mention the Crash Bandicoot games (N-Sane Trilogy and 4).  He isn't very good at these games since they are a bit more difficult, but he still loves playing them and neither of those game are terribly expensive.  

This might work:

It is mostly an exploration game with some puzzles (only one of which I would rate difficult - although a young one would probably have a bit of difficulty with more - but they are motly pretty simple puzzles moving blocks around so any adult can help solve them).  There a couple of fetch quests and a side story that is revealed by collecting scattered diary pages.  No physical copy available so eshop is the way to go. No fighting and while there is dialogue is fairly simple and delivered slowly.

Another  two that might work are Mushroom Quest and the sequel Mushroom Savior.  Fairly simple Sokoban style games where you push blocks around.  Again no physical - just eshop.

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, Now get brutal said:

@TDIRunner Thanks for the suggestions! I have BOTW, but never thought he'd be ready for it yet.

I'm thinking he'd be into Captain Toad, as there are similar style levels within 3D World

Honestly, I figured BOTW would be too much for him as well, but it's crazy how quickly he got accustomed to it.  The fact that he watches me play it a lot probably helps.  He also has a 7 year old brother who helps him on occasion.  But if I had to guess, my 5 year old is probably better at BOTW than my 7 year old.

Another suggestion is Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.  It's very similar to BOTW, but it's more action oriented and button mashing compared to BOTW.  I can't get into the game myself because I prefer the adventure and exploration aspect of BOTW, but both of my sons enjoy HW.  

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
26 minutes ago, Now get brutal said:

I can toss him into creative mode - I'm just worried it will be frustrating without his ability to read. Then again, if he treats it like Legos 🤷‍♂️

I don't think there's much reading needed in creative mode.  

Just make sure it's regular Minecraft, not Story Mode (or the other one)

45 minutes ago, Now get brutal said:

I can toss him into creative mode - I'm just worried it will be frustrating without his ability to read. Then again, if he treats it like Legos 🤷‍♂️

My son is 5 and absolutely loves creative mode in Minecraft. He will spend an hour exploring the world and couldn't care less about accomplishing anything. There is no reading required for this mode since there are no goals to accomplish. You can fly and turn on invincibility if you want, so it's pretty chill.

9 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

My son is 5 and absolutely loves creative mode in Minecraft. He will spend an hour exploring the world and couldn't care less about accomplishing anything. There is no reading required for this mode since there are no goals to accomplish. You can fly and turn on invincibility if you want, so it's pretty chill.

Ah! I forgot about invincibility, that will be quite helpful!

Time to dump him into Minecraft then

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, G-type said:

Goose game was very popular with my kid when he was 5. He also liked Arms and Hello Neighbor.

As in the Untitled Goose Game?   Unless you just want to walk around and honk at people, I can see that being a very frustrating game for a 5 year old.