IGNORED

To Grade or Not to Grade?

Should I get my sealed PS3 games VGA graded for future resale purposes? (See post for details)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get my sealed PS3 games VGA graded for future resale purposes? (See post for details)

• Yes, absolutely!
    • Yes, but only on higher value items (please specify lower limit)
    • Yes, but only games that would grade highly
    • Maybe, it could be worth it, but the profit may not be worth the cost
    • No, it's not worth doing (vote here if you are okay with grading, but don't see it as being worthwhile in my case)
    • I'm personally against grading in general, so my voice is tainted (vote here if you have a personal bias against grading)
    • Other (specify in reply)

So here's the deal - I've decided to start paring down my collection a bit (wanna buy a house, so there's some fat that can be trimmed to make it happen), and I have a TON of sealed PS3 games that I landed for a couple bucks each.  I know it's not the best time to sell them yet, so I was going to hang onto them for a few years, but eventually they may get shipped out the door.  Since they're now in the "sell eventually" pile, I might want to maximize things by grading them.  I feel like it's the best time to do so, as their values likely won't get any lower than they're at, making the grading cheaper overall, and since I'm not in a hurry to cash out on them the turnaround time isn't a factor either.  However, I would likely grade them with VGA, as ethically I cannot bring myself to send a dime to WATA, which may affect the graded value as well (last I heard, WATA was still selling for more than VGA despite all their issues).  So looking at it from a future resale perspective, is it better to send them in to VGA, or just leave them ungraded.  Aside from the Resistance Trilogy and Puppeteer, none are really notable value-wise, at least at the moment, so it's hard to say if any would qualify as future risers.  So yeah, just trying to decide whether it's worth the effort and expense to send them off to grade.  Additionally, being Canadian, the shipping cost would likely be higher to send them in in the first place, which would need to be another consideration. 

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

Yes to higher value games,  or at least big title releases (resident evil, FF, oblivion,  assassins creed, etc). It's tough,  because normally I'd say anything 300 + could be worth it,  but if it's a longterm investment it's hard to tell what will hit that range in the future.  

Still, if you have lower value big name games in great condition, that might be something to consider.  Everyone likes a good display piece of those popular titles!

40 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Yes to higher value games,  or at least big title releases (resident evil, FF, oblivion,  assassins creed, etc). It's tough,  because normally I'd say anything 300 + could be worth it,  but if it's a longterm investment it's hard to tell what will hit that range in the future.  

Still, if you have lower value big name games in great condition, that might be something to consider.  Everyone likes a good display piece of those popular titles!

Some excellent points there.  I guess I should say that I'm not looking to cash out a decade from now, I'm thinking in one or two years at most.  I'm personally not driven to collect sealed games, but there are definitely some lower dollar "must have" games in the pile.  Uncharted 3 and GTA IV Complete Edition would definitely be considerations.  Maybe Madden 25.  But it's hard to say what people will end up getting the nostalgia bug for.

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I can tell you as someone who's looked into both VGA and Wata, and who lives in Canada - prepare to be eaten alive on fees.

Yeah, that's my biggest worry...that it'd be worthwhile south of the border, but the extra fees and shipping costs would eliminate the potential gains, or make them not worth the hassle.  A couple of local friends apparently sent stuff in two years ago and still haven't received anything back, so that's a concern as well.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
32 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, that's my biggest worry...that it'd be worthwhile south of the border, but the extra fees and shipping costs would eliminate the potential gains, or make them not worth the hassle.  A couple of local friends apparently sent stuff in two years ago and still haven't received anything back, so that's a concern as well.

If they come back with a big price on 'em they could be opened up and sifted through at the border, import fees on your own stuff, etc.. There's honestly no great option for your specific case, you'd need to be sitting on 6 figure games and have an in at the grading company or some monetary incentive to get it done fast.

script GIF

I say rip those suckers open and play them! The PS3 has some great games on the system. Let them breatheee. You can even record the contents for future collectors 🙂

I’m sure PS3 will be collectible one day but not sure if it will be two years. People are only starting to really gain some interest in GC & PS2.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Brickman said:

script GIF

I say rip those suckers open and play them! The PS3 has some great games on the system. Let them breatheee. You can even record the contents for future collectors 🙂

I’m sure PS3 will be collectible one day but not sure if it will be two years. People are only starting to really gain some interest in GC & PS2.

If I had any intention of playing them, they'd be opened already.  As it is, I haven't even fired up my PS3 in like 3 years, so odds are they're not being played anyway.    I'm planning to thin the herd out, and sealed games are worth more than CIB ones, so why would I open them at this point.   It'd be silly to literally throw money away.  If I wasn't looking to sell anything in the forseeable future though.  Funny you mention recording contents though, as I'm the one who started doing that on the NES...it's totally something I'd do, but again, I am at a phase in my life where I am looking to get debt free and buy a house, and am planning to trim some fat off the peripheries of my collection to make it happen.

1 hour ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I am pretty sure Wata doesn't grade PS3 so you don't need to worry about VGA prices being worth less (although I guess Wata could start grading them between now and when you sell). 

As a PS3 collector though I think there are < 20 games worth grading for the console. 

Well that's good to know.  Was unaware they didn't do PS3 yet, seeing as they do goddamn near everything else 😛 

But yeah, there's already great info here.  I may just play the wait-and-see game with them for the time being, as it may not be worth cashing out on them regardless of grading or not.  But I'll keep checking for further...no decision is getting made just yet anyway.

If your goal is future resale, I don't think anyone here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer on which games will be the highest value in 5-10 years. That said, I'd go for the games in the best condition. VGA 80+ and lower are essentially a waste of grading fees right now. 

Also, more modern games (wii/xbox/ps3 and newer) are seemingly taking off on certifiedlink during the seasonal auctions (probably because of speculators, but having dipped in myself, there's probably some genuine organic interest, too). So if you graded at VGA this year and sent them to CL, you just might have some luck.

Since you are residing in Canada, and your goal is to buy a house... Don't.

If you have supportive family and friends, I suggest that you talk to them about the idea of doing a t-shirt themed "Go Fund Me" type of event instead. There are those who'll do these in exchange of a small fee, but you do not have to pay upfront. And instead you give them a percentage of the number of t-shirts (or whatever you choose to sell) are sold.

Otherwise, wait and see if there are any reliable non-Heritage auction houses that can help you get them both graded and auctioned for a set fee. Because the right timing and auction house should result in a better return than you doing it yourself. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Since you are residing in Canada, and your goal is to buy a house... Don't.

If you have supportive family and friends, I suggest that you talk to them about the idea of doing a t-shirt themed "Go Fund Me" type of event instead. There are those who'll do these in exchange of a small fee, but you do not have to pay upfront. And instead you give them a percentage of the number of t-shirts (or whatever you choose to sell) are sold.

Otherwise, wait and see if there are any reliable non-Heritage auction houses that can help you get them both graded and auctioned for a set fee. Because the right timing and auction house should result in a better return than you doing it yourself. 🙂

I'm so confused haha. What does T-shirts have to do with houses? haha.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Brickman said:

He's saying to do a GFM in conjunction with a t-shirt printer and probably an artist friend.  Pay them a percentage of each sale for their work, and pocket the rest.  It's actually a pretty solid idea in all honesty, if my immediate family weren't poor and my extended family insanely cheap 😛 

• Haha 2

If you want to buy a house, you need to be saving money, not spending copious amounts on grading games.  If your plan is to buy a house in twenty years, then yeah, by all means, get them all graded now and sit on them; but if you want to buy a house while you're still young enough to enjoy it, this thread is barking up the wrong tree... 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Yeah, with all the advice rolling in a similar direction, I'd say it's not worth it at this time.  The fees associated, plus the additional shipping, are cost prohibitive.  That said, with the exception of maybe one or two titles, they're also not worth selling at this point, so I'll be trimming the fat from other parts of the collection first.  Maybe in a couple years I'll revisit the PS3 section of my library.

15 hours ago, Brickman said:

It has to do with the fact that people who want to buy houses do not have Go Fund Me as a way to campaign for that money. I mean that Google is evil here, but they do supply a list of companies that will help sell t-shirts as an alternative to doing a Go Fund Me.

Meaning... You choose a product, design it, write about your goals and why these need to sell, and they do the rest for a small percentage.  With me rethinking about doing this here. 😅

24 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

It has to do with the fact that people who want to buy houses do not have Go Fund Me as a way to campaign for that money. I mean that Google is evil here, but they do supply a list of companies that will help sell t-shirts as an alternative to doing a Go Fund Me.

Meaning... You choose a product, design it, write about your goals and why these need to sell, and they do the rest for a small percentage.  With me rethinking about doing this here. 😅

I’m still confused honestly haha.

People here just work and save cash for a house deposit and if they want it quicker they go get a second job.

I’ve never heard of people using a go fund me to put towards a house deposit. Plus why would people donate to a strangers house deposit?

Maybe this is some sort of popular US thing, because it doesn’t make sense to me haha.

10 minutes ago, Link said:

I'd find it hard to believe this is an accident or coincidence... @Brickman?

I actually didn’t know the wizard started it I just knew he has a video of him opening some rare games. So that was good to know 🙂

• Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

Are you flipping them immediately or just holding onto them? Grading prices are high right now, turnaround times are long, PS3 isn't especially hot, and in 5 years anything could be different. Comic companies like CGC might dominate the market or everyone might decide some cool new case or grading scale is the cool thing to have so there's no point picking a horse now IMO. If VGA separates out seal and box grades at some point like they're trying with VHS the market might look at all the existing graded junk as "old slabs" and not want them anymore. 5 years ago Wata didn't even exist and look at things now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Brickman said:

People here just work and save cash for a house deposit and if they want it quicker they go get a second job.

I’ve never heard of people using a go fund me to put towards a house deposit. Plus why would people donate to a strangers house deposit?

Maybe this is some sort of popular US thing, because it doesn’t make sense to me haha.

The Wizard of Oz actually consisted of Dorothy, Toto, Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the Unlucky Bowler who was waiting to finish his game.

In the end the Wizard said to the Unlucky Bowler, "Good news! Because the Cowardly Lion gained the courage he needed, the neutering clinic he went to gave me the balls you asked for!"

But in regards to what I was saying... These are a popular option for those who need help getting the money they needed, but cannot do it because they have limitations to deal with.

(In my case, my disability and lack of needed help.)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Brickman said:

I actually didn’t know the wizard started it I just knew he has a video of him opening some rare games. So that was good to know 🙂

That's the normal way to do it, yeah.  He's suggesting an alternative, and not just hitting Gofundme to beg, but to provide a product/service (in this case, t-shirts) to people who wish to help you out.  If I had some skill with art, I would actually consider that - selling prints and shirts and whatnot with my art on it.  But since I lack that skill, that'd mean I'd not only have to cut in the printing company, but an artist as well.  Though it does get me thinking about other possibilities in the same vein.  Every little bit helps after all.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:21 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, with all the advice rolling in a similar direction, I'd say it's not worth it at this time.  The fees associated, plus the additional shipping, are cost prohibitive.  That said, with the exception of maybe one or two titles, they're also not worth selling at this point, so I'll be trimming the fat from other parts of the collection first.  Maybe in a couple years I'll revisit the PS3 section of my library.

Modern games aren’t usually worth grading as an investment because the big money is being spent elsewhere. You might make some small profit here and there but this will likely be offset by all the headaches partaking in the grading process.

That’s not to say retro games are guaranteed profit either. No one can really be sure of anything when it comes to investing and projections on what prices will be in 5-10 years. “Everything will shoot up to the moon” is as much a myth as the Easter Bunny. 

• Like 1