IGNORED

What Do You Call a U-Turn?

Aguy

I was watching a show with people from North Carolina and when they had to make a u-turn in the middle of the street and they called it "making a louie", which I'd never heard of. I've heard of making a "uey", pulling a stinky, or (according to my wife) flip a bitch.

What do you call it in your neck of the woods?

Social Team · Posted

U turn or the phrase "pull a U-ee" - Ohio

I can't believe some of these terms.  Also @fcgamerI think you would LOVE this NPR show called A Way With Words, https://www.wvxu.org/show/a-way-with-words You can listen for free and they have two times that are ~12 hours a part so you can find a time that would be convenient for you I bet.

• Thanks 1

I always just say "make a u-turn", but if I here slang, U-ee seems most frequent and I've lived in the Carolina's my whole life.  I have heard "Lui" which I just assumed was a combination of Left and U-ee.  I've never heard of any of these other alternatives.

Edited by RH
  • Agree 1

Social Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, drxandy said:

I can't spell it so I'm going phonetic, you-ees (u-ie) are illegal here, we have the mysterious "Michigan left"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left

Youie like Louie would be how I wanna say it

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

It has TWO U-turn maneuvers in it so you are allowed to do U-turns at designated locations.   We have SuperStreets/RCUTs here in Ohio.  But in general you can do U-turns legally unless marked or outlawed by city ordinances.  In the City of Cincinnati U-turns are allowed unless signed or if you are in a zone business district.  So make sure you keep a zoning map on you.  Most just think it's illegal, business districts are everywhere so odds are good it's not legal.

Spoiler

shutterstock_28869241.jpg

Edited by FireHazard51

3 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

It has TWO U-turn maneuvers in it so you are allowed to do U-turns at designated locations.   We have SuperStreets/RCUTs here in Ohio.  But in general you can do U-turns legally unless marked or outlawed by city ordinances.  In the City of Cincinnati U-turns are allowed unless signed or if you are in a zone business district.  So make sure you keep a zoning map on you.  Most just think it's illegal, business districts are everywhere so odds are good it's not legal.

Hide contents

That's how it is around here.  100% legal, unless you see that specific sign, which is typical of busy, or narrow, intersections in towns and cities.  Now a 3-point turn... that's a bit different.

Social Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry if this was harsh @drxandyI deal with explaining these kinds of things with the public and had a rough RCUT project not too long ago.  People freak out about it and I'm just like.....IT'S JUST TWO U-TURNS!!!  It's not scary or complex, it's just a simple U-turn that you people do all the time in rural areas.

Social Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Haha I'm not invested in these things, you are fine. Still waiting for the pot tax to go to the roads 🙃

Why Are Ohio's Roads Better Than Michigan's Roads  It's like 98% of our budget goes to maintaining our existing roadways, culverts, and bridges.  I still think we can do a better job so I cringe at what Michigan does.

635652584157022880-aroads.jpg?width=660&

Spoiler

Some road salt in that wound, you guys have a higher gas tax so you are doing less with more money....

2021-gas-tax-rates-and-2021-state-gas-ta

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Same here. Louie definitely means a left turn for me. Never even heard of flip a bitch or pulling a stinky. I'm from Illinois. 

I've always lived in Southern California but I think I heard "pull a stinky" from my dad who grew up in up in upstate New York. I think it refers to when you make an illegal U-turn, you may burn rubber as you accelerate out of the turn.