IGNORED

Game Debate #34: Shovel Knight

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Nights into Dreams
    • Panzer Dragoon

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Also a great example of kickstarter bloat getting a developer stuck on working on the same game.
The additions they've made to Shovel Knight are cool, but I'd so much love to see them working on a brand new game, really putting their skills to use.

Most of those additions play like "a brand new game", IMO.

I guess I'm the jerk here, but 9's and 10s?  That game isn't perfect.  It's a pretty good game, so yeah I gave it that 6 up there, and not the only one.  It just feels like a cheap knockoff of a mix of mega man and a hint of SOTN mixed in, and quite honestly I couldn't get into it, and I've tried a few of the package variants too.  Something about it just gets between annoying and ultimately boring to me playing it, the shovel mechanic is nice, but the game just doesn't have staying power to finish it as it feels almost stale like I've already played it a LOT before even though I never have.  People want to play it up because of the obvious roots, the developers care and handling, but I just don't see how this game is a must own or without real flaws.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Well, personally, I prefer the "value added" to the existing product.

They signed up for it, it is good to see them deliver on promises made.

New gameplay is a good thing but i personally like to have that clear distinction between where one thing has ended and a new one begins. If they want to add something new they call it 2, 3 etc.

Same amounts of gameplay in total but i just prefer it categorised this way.

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Meh.  Can't get into it.  "In the retro style" is hard to pull off and Shovel Knight doesn't really do it for me.  Cave Story though...

I can agree with that, I can play and revisit Cave Story just fine.  So many try this retro style and it's more of a retro try-hard that usually has problems or that staged fake so called 'nes hard' complex which is a crock.