IGNORED

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020-Game 9: The Cowlitz Gamers' Lost Adventure

Scrobins

28 minutes ago, M-Tee said:

There it is. The owner of the 2nd Adv. original cover art for a reason. 🙂

Did you need to play with the 2nd player active to reach it?

No, I didn't think that was allowed.  I'll probably give that a try once the Action 53 vol. 4 comes out.  I don't have a good 2 controller setup for my computer, so I'd rather wait to try it on the NES.

I'm still playing though.  I know I could get around 600 more points, but I doubt I'll be able to do it before the contest ends.

I'm done.  A higher score isn't happening tonight.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

Red's score's a total beast. I got closer to bertsampson's when I played through with savestates. But I know some stages I took a long time to exit, and I didn't get too creative in grabbing gold in the bonus rooms.

Love that y'all are enjoying/tolerating it enough to get that tight with it. 🙂

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, M-Tee said:

Red's score's a total beast. I got closer to bertsampson's when I played through with savestates. But I know some stages I took a long time to exit, and I didn't get too creative in grabbing gold in the bonus rooms.

Love that y'all are enjoying/tolerating it enough to get that tight with it. 🙂

Duder, do more of these!!!!!!  Make more 🤣

• The topic was unpinned
On 9/21/2020 at 12:57 PM, Scrobins said:

Is there an idea what a “perfect” score would be?

We kept perfect score calculated for cg2 because we wanted it to be possible to nearly max out the score counter without breaking it. Since Lost is much shorter, there's no risk of that. So, we haven't. I suspect a 1-player run's max wouldn't be a whole lot higher than what Red's pulling in. (Almost surely under 300,000 I'm guessing.) I'd need to count the killable enemies and bonus room gold.

Lost is a little more complicated. With cg2, the bonus rooms were designed so that a skilled player could collect all the gold alone (I think). In Lost, it's impossible because of the room and enemy layout.

Congrats on the final scores to everyone, btw. Very impressive. 🙂

Edited by M-Tee
  • Like 3

On 9/20/2020 at 11:57 PM, Scrobins said:

Is there an idea what a “perfect” score would be?

I played a bit more today and I'd guess it's slightly above 246,600. If I combined my best scores for every stage as if I did them in a single run, I believe that's what I would have gotten (I might be off by 50). That would be with all the possible gold and diamonds. The only way to improve it would be to finish the stages faster. There are a few stages that I think a better time might be possible, but I haven't been able to pull it off. Since each time unit remaining only gives 50 points, saving one or two time units in few stages won't increase the score dramatically.

Ah, yes, I'm pretty sure I got all the possible points from enemies as well.  I can even get an "extra" gold in the first bonus stage.  If you're quick enough, you can grab the last falling piece of gold from the Player 2 side after collecting the last piece on the player one side.  This would make the total possible gold 96.  I didn't go for it in the score I submitted, so that's why there's only 95 gold there.