IGNORED

Had packages stolen from me, what should I do?

Kimbolemonslice

My apartment mail room was broken into a couple of days ago and every package in the room was tore open and stolen. The only thing they left was a random cookie jar... I lost $250 worth of eBay items. I filed a police report and talked to eBay support to see if I could get a refund. The support person said since the item was stolen it would not be a problem to get a full refund. The next day I see that they are requesting the refund from the seller, which I think is bullshit. It isn't their fault the packages were stolen. I was going to see if this has ever happened to anyone on here and if anyone has any advice. I was going to try my luck with USPS but they are such a pain to deal with for lost packages.

5 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Did they steal the cookies from the cookie jar?

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear. Does the apartment building have surveillance video? I would imagine this would be helpful with the claim.

Yes the camera was pointing right at the door I'm waiting for my landlord to send out an email about it, she hasn't been at the apartment since it happened

This is why sellers are supposed to buy insurance. It's the risk they take when they *don't* buy insurance.

It's up to the seller to get your packages from their place into your hands. It's 100% on them if the package is stolen from your front porch.

One of the reasons I prefer selling locally is because there's zero risk in lost goods.

Does it suck for the seller? yes.

Is it the sellers responsibility? also yes.

Is it the sellers fault? no. but it's part of the business of selling things online.

• Like 3

Just now, FooFghtrs33 said:

I have won cases as a seller where the person says it was stolen.  If the tracking shows delivered ... .the seller did their job.  I am not sure the nuance of this case, but I can tell you if the tracking shows delivered I suspect Ebay will side with the seller.  

It does, but after filing the police report and explaining everything they sent out the refund requests

What did the tracking info say about all packages?? If they show delivered then there is nothing epay can do anymore to anyone as everything was finished successfully. This indicates the packages were stolen after that. In this case this is the fault of apartment room's security. Can you explain how delivery works exactly in your situation?? You should definitely file a police report and report that incident to your landlord, neighborhood support or what have you. If there were cameras then definitely request the footage

Edited by VegaVegas

50 minutes ago, VegaVegas said:

If they show delivered then there is nothing epay can do anymore to anyone as everything was finished successfully. This indicates the packages were stolen after that. In this case this is the fault of apartment room's security. Can you explain how delivery works exactly in your situation?? You should definitely file a police report and report that incident to your landlord, neighborhood support or what have you. If there were cameras then definitely request the footage

If a package is considered stolen then the seller is responsible. The seller must have insurance on the package. If the seller has insurance then seller can recoup the money. You made a comment that its the fault of the apartment room's security. Legally No. 

You're contacting all of the incorrect resources for this, eBay, the seller and USPS don't care what happens to the package once it's delivered to the final address. I could be wrong about the terms of service for USPS but once the package hits its final address, it's considered delivered and anything that happens to it after that is not their responsibility. You should be contacting your landlord and they can claim it through their building insurance as a theft of property. Your home insurance may actually cover it as well.

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Bonanza125 said:

If a package is considered stolen then the seller is responsible. The seller must have insurance on the package. If the seller has insurance then seller can recoup the money. You made a comment that its the fault of the apartment room's security. Legally No. 

If the USPS labels it as delivered the seller will win the case. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You're contacting all of the incorrect resources for this, eBay, the seller and USPS don't care what happens to the package once it's delivered to the final address. I could be wrong about the terms of service for USPS but once the package hits its final address, it's considered delivered and anything that happens to it after that is not their responsibility. You should be contacting your landlord and they can claim it through their building insurance as a theft of property. Your home insurance may actually cover it as well.

Ooo very good point!!

Maybe renters insurance would cover it.

Edited by drxandy

This really sounds like something that should be dealt with by restitution via court conviction. This isn't on the seller, ebay or USPS to be totally honest. They all did there jobs to completion. It sucks you are out your items but it's not the fault of any of the people you are speaking of aside from the criminal who stole it. I hope you are able to be made whole by the legal system. This is 100 percent not something that should get pinned on the seller. That is just wrong.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kimbolemonslice said:

I called the renter's insurance company just now and they told me I have a $500 deductible to get my $250 of stuff back. 

Yeah, I was gonna say depending on your deductible it likely isn't worth claiming.  

Insurance for dwellings is more for the catastrophic levels of stuff, like a lightning strike or a tree branch or something.   I didn't bother making a claim when my house got broken into since I have a $1000 deductible and that's around the amount I was out stuff and door-wise (and a group of awesome NAers took care of the stuff I was out anyway).

Now if a tree flattens my garage then I'm gonna use it.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:01 AM, Kimbolemonslice said:

My apartment mail room was broken into a couple of days ago and every package in the room was tore open and stolen. The only thing they left was a random cookie jar... I lost $250 worth of eBay items. I filed a police report and talked to eBay support to see if I could get a refund. The support person said since the item was stolen it would not be a problem to get a full refund. The next day I see that they are requesting the refund from the seller, which I think is bullshit. It isn't their fault the packages were stolen. I was going to see if this has ever happened to anyone on here and if anyone has any advice. I was going to try my luck with USPS but they are such a pain to deal with for lost packages.

Do you live in Vegas by any chance? This happen to one of my coworkers the other day to, same scenario, open packages, camera pointing in the same direction. 

https://www.ktnv.com/news/crime/caught-on-camera-duo-suspected-of-stealing-mail-from-las-vegas-neighborhood

On 8/31/2020 at 1:25 PM, ThePhleo said:

This is why sellers are supposed to buy insurance. It's the risk they take when they *don't* buy insurance.

It's up to the seller to get your packages from their place into your hands. It's 100% on them if the package is stolen from your front porch.

One of the reasons I prefer selling locally is because there's zero risk in lost goods.

Does it suck for the seller? yes.

Is it the sellers responsibility? also yes.

Is it the sellers fault? no. but it's part of the business of selling things online.

So what you just said is technically the opposite of the truth.

It's not the sellers responsibility and insurance doesn't cover stuff after delivery was made.  The OP won't likely get anywhere with that.

Insurance is only good if a package is lost in transit or if there is damage to the package.  And the damage to the package must be judged by USPS (or whatever shipping company) to be the fault of them and not the sender.

I'm shocked to hear eBay would send out refund requests.  If it shows as delivered then the transaction is finished.  I'm guessing these are the type of requests that the seller is not obliged to accept.  

My advice to the OP is to talk to the building manager.  Also check if there was negligence regarding the security of that room.  Seems like this is a building security issue.

34 minutes ago, LaC said:

So what you just said is technically the opposite of the truth.

It's not the sellers responsibility and insurance doesn't cover stuff after delivery was made.  The OP won't likely get anywhere with that.

Insurance is only good if a package is lost in transit or if there is damage to the package.  And the damage to the package must be judged by USPS (or whatever shipping company) to be the fault of them and not the sender.

I'm shocked to hear eBay would send out refund requests.  If it shows as delivered then the transaction is finished.  I'm guessing these are the type of requests that the seller is not obliged to accept.  

My advice to the OP is to talk to the building manager.  Also check if there was negligence regarding the security of that room.  Seems like this is a building security issue.

If that's the truth then I don't know what to believe anymore in regards to this subject because I've had packages stolen from me three times in my life (luckily none of them collectibles) and all three times I've had the funds returned to me.