IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - QBert

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Elkovsky said:

Good gravy, I'm out of practice; I think dying once on the first level was a good reminder of that. Then again, it's been nearly eight years since I wrote the guide, so... yeah. Anyway, this is where I stood on life 0 of my first continue on my lone attempt; I managed to make it to 5-1 before getting utterly destroyed. According to my old notes, though, I used my first continue on 8-2 (and another on 8-3) on my winning run back in 2012, so I'm sure someone could handily trounce this score. Incidentally, it's been awhile since I've done one of these contests, so I'm trying to remember—is a person only allowed to submit one score from their first run, or can one submit a better score later on?

At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I'd recommend looking at my guide on GameFAQs if you're wanting to up your Q*Bert game. My big revelation for finally beating the darn thing several years back was figuring out that the enemy spawn patterns are fixed for each level (with the exception of Coily spawns being skipped if he's already on the board), and I've transcribed all of those out for anyone who wants them.

Anyway, good luck to all, and I'm interested to see how people do on this one. 🙂

U can up your score whenever you want!  Usually just edit your original post is what everyone does.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Elkovsky said:

Good gravy, I'm out of practice; I think dying once on the first level was a good reminder of that. Then again, it's been nearly eight years since I wrote the guide, so... yeah. Anyway, this is where I stood on life 0 of my first continue on my lone attempt; I managed to make it to 5-1 before getting utterly destroyed. According to my old notes, though, I used my first continue on 8-2 (and another on 8-3) on my winning run back in 2012, so I'm sure someone could handily trounce this score. Incidentally, it's been awhile since I've done one of these contests, so I'm trying to remember—is a person only allowed to submit one score from their first run, or can one submit a better score later on?

At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I'd recommend looking at my guide on GameFAQs if you're wanting to up your Q*Bert game. My big revelation for finally beating the darn thing several years back was figuring out that the enemy spawn patterns are fixed for each level (with the exception of Coily spawns being skipped if he's already on the board), and I've transcribed all of those out for anyone who wants them.

Anyway, good luck to all, and I'm interested to see how people do on this one. 🙂

qbert-contest2020.jpg

Nice to see you back at Q Bert!

You can post as much scores as you want during the week.

Edit : Sorry, didn't see Jeevan post!

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, Jeevan said:

can we lower the participation score?  😏

I blame the high participation score on @42 foot tapeworm. Bea is making him play more than the thirty seconds he's put in the last two weeks if he wants his 3 points. Which set of controls are people using? I'm only getting to 1-3 because I cant get either of them. I tried the default controls and turned the controller sideways so the dpad is pointed in the right directions. Seemed to help a little, but 15 min of this was enough for a Monday. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I blame the high participation score on @42 foot tapeworm. Bea is making him play more than the thirty seconds he's put in the last two weeks if he wants his 3 points. Which set of controls are people using? I'm only getting to 1-3 because I cant get either of them. I tried the default controls and turned the controller sideways so the dpad is pointed in the right direction. Seemed to help a little, but 15 min of this was enough for a Monday. 

I use the default controls because they're the same as the Atari 2600 port that I grew up with so they're long since burned into my muscle memory.

The game is still stupid hard. I don't understand how people get these huge scores. I haven't even been able to clear level 2.

Edited by mbd39

47 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I blame the high participation score on @42 foot tapeworm. Bea is making him play more than the thirty seconds he's put in the last two weeks if he wants his 3 points. Which set of controls are people using? I'm only getting to 1-3 because I cant get either of them. I tried the default controls and turned the controller sideways so the dpad is pointed in the right directions. Seemed to help a little, but 15 min of this was enough for a Monday. 

you might be right! she doesnt like laziness.

29 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I use the default controls because they're the same as the Atari 2600 port that I grew up with so they're long since burned into my muscle memory.

The game is still stupid hard. I don't understand how people get these huge scores. I haven't even been able to clear level 2.

i think i made it to stage 3 last time we played. and the only reason i put myself through the torture is because i was trying to keep up with sandafloor but he went hog wild.

Graphics Team · Posted

Honestly I'm just stoked to be above the 'participation' standard haha. This game is brutal - I've had it for a while but never really gave it a fair shot until now.

And a fun fact that I recently learned - the guy who designed the Q*Bert character is related to my grandmother. I think he's her cousin's son or something.

-CasualCart

1080028580_CasualCartQBert17120.jpg.bc30d3390949e86711faa49fad32f7cc.jpg

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
On 6/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, Richardhead said:

I really like that Sage-Bert. 

Gloves said he was "unsettling" haha. As I drew it, I was wondering if it would turn out adorable or disturbing, and by the time I colored it in I was pretty sure I had created an abomination. Long live Sage-Bert.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, NESfiend said:

You had a top 8 score in one of those old contests. You going to put one up for old times sake?

Honestly, probably not, and it would break my continuous streak of not posting a score in the NES Weekly Contest for exactly 6 years, LOL. No joke, my last score posted was Dig Dug II contest 29 of June 2014.

Q*Bert is a game that I enjoy playing, though I'm not particularly good at it. Usually, there's always some experts of the game popping up during Q*Bert's week. @Elkovsky definitely being one of them already out.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If I finish in the top 5, I'll hit 100 points on the overall leaderboard. 🤔

Sunday score, Monday done for the week, Tuesday contemplating playing more. Typical Doug week!

Edit: ends with big score update this weekend. 

7c812c75623223c824d608ba871042cfd819538780f8d1b434332b47f1e29fe2.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 6/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, mbd39 said:

I got 26k when we played last time and didn't even make top 8. Brock won with an unbelievable 138k.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewe30b.html?catid=31&threadid=163346

My ears are burning

On 6/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, 42 foot tapeworm said:

sanda floor can score one million points in tgis game.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:54 PM, guillavoie said:

Which also proves my theory that he suffers from some mild kind of autism.

Hey!

Dammit, my kids are being dropped off at the parents' house tomorrow so maybe I can make something happen.  Don't even know where my toaster is packed up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2