IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - QBert

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

!#?@!? ladies and Gentleman! !#?@!?

This week our masters of video game will tackle a classic filled with bad words and swearing!
Behold, for Q*Bert is upon us!

These are the rules they will follow to show their masterful skills on Q*BERT:

• 1 player only
  • Choose whichever control setup you want
  • Play until Life 0.  As soon as you get to Life 0, you must stop playing the game and take your picture.  You may not play any of the game on Life 0 or your score will be disqualified
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 10,000
  • GENRE: Puzzle

Swear out like a sailor, players!

The contest ends Sunday, 07/05/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

1612629441_SageQbert.png.47e18cfd540d590

• Like 5

Events Team · Posted
1st Tablew/chairs 176,020
2nd 0xDEAFC0DE 123,060
3rd Gaia Gensouki 108,840
4th bertsampson 103,100
5th Gloves 78,440
6th Elkovsky 73,970
7th Bearcat-Doug 67,110
8th Richardhead 65,870
9th NESfiend 38,710
10th mbd39 31,880
11th CasualCart 30,270
12th 8bitdontquit 29,030
13th ninjistar 27,680
14th JamesRobot 25,240
15th Splain 23,620
16th skinnygrinny 12,500
17th SuperJimtendo 12,130
18th Jeevan 10,800

46 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This is like the Rubik's Cube of NES games. I could try it a million times and not get any better. Back in 2013, I barely hit 10k and I think I seriously tried that week.

I got 26k when we played last time and didn't even make top 8. Brock won with an unbelievable 138k.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewe30b.html?catid=31&threadid=163346

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I got 26k when we played last time and didn't even make top 8. Brock won with an unbelievable 138k.

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewe30b.html?catid=31&threadid=163346

If I end up posting a score it will probably be awful, but I doubt I could even get anything that comes close to the top 8.

• Haha 1

Good gravy, I'm out of practice; I think dying once on the first level was a good reminder of that. Then again, it's been nearly eight years since I wrote the guide, so... yeah. Anyway, this is where I stood on life 0 of my first continue on my lone attempt; I managed to make it to 5-1 before getting utterly destroyed. According to my old notes, though, I used my first continue on 8-2 (and another on 8-3) on my winning run back in 2012, so I'm sure someone could handily trounce this score. Incidentally, it's been awhile since I've done one of these contests, so I'm trying to remember—is a person only allowed to submit one score from their first run, or can one submit a better score later on?

At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I'd recommend looking at my guide on GameFAQs if you're wanting to up your Q*Bert game. My big revelation for finally beating the darn thing several years back was figuring out that the enemy spawn patterns are fixed for each level (with the exception of Coily spawns being skipped if he's already on the board), and I've transcribed all of those out for anyone who wants them.

Anyway, good luck to all, and I'm interested to see how people do on this one. 🙂

qbert-contest2020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1