IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - QBert

BeaIank

26 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't have any trouble with the controls at all. It's the execution that I have issues with.

Same here. I grew up with the Atari 2600 version which plays the same other than being way easier.

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think @ninjistar was working on moving it over. I'm guessing the 2019 records are still somewhere on the old site if you can find them.

It is in the works. Albeit sloooowly.

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Why can't we move that over and keep it going? Also, it doesn't show overall winners each year. Was 2018 the first tourney? And 2019 is somewhere else or didn't happen?

2018 was not the first tournament. See below on keeping it going...

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just pull a Doug and hope someone drops out so you can skip the entire regular season en route to a championship 😄

Well, asterisked championship anyways 😏

I guess it's moot since my archives are dust

Your archives are dusty, but they're not dust! Just a few weeks ago I began updating the "wins and points" table you made to bring it up to speed. We can't let all of that work and history disappear!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ninjistar said:

It is in the works. Albeit sloooowly.

Seems like you have a lot of projects, but I had an idea for another. For a lot of games like puzzles and racers, watching longplays is not really that helpful toward learning how to progress through absent strict memorization of a particular screen or segment. You'd also have to be a beautiful mind to watch someone play 2 hours of qbert or rad racer and actually gain much from doing so. It would be nice if there were shorter videos with some pointers for practice/overall strategy for when you first start learning a game. 

So I present a hypothetical series of videos hosted by Ninji entitled "GIT GUD." Play a game for like a weeks time like we do for this thread, then upload video for the next guy who wants to GIT GUD. More fun and helpful than reading guides online or scouring long plays videos. 

Edited by NESfiend

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Seems like you have a lot of projects, but I had an idea for another. For a lot of games like puzzles and racers, watching longplays is not really that helpful toward learning how to progress through absent strict memorization of a particular screen or segment. You'd also have to be a beautiful mind to watch someone play 2 hours of qbert or rad racer and actually gain much from doing so. It would be nice if there were shorter videos with some pointers for practice/overall strategy for when you first start learning a game. 

So I present a hypothetical series of videos hosted by Ninji entitled "GIT GUD." Play a game for like a weeks time like we do for this thread, then upload video for the next guy who wants to GIT GUD. More fun and helpful than reading guides online or scouring long plays videos. 

Back in the day we called it reading the manual. 😂

34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Back in the day we called it reading the manual. 😂

Who even kept, let alone read, their manuals? The wrapping paper your parents put on the game was more likely to survive the day you opened it than the manual. 

And its 2020 and they are all available with a quick Google search and I still don't want to read the damn things! #gitgudwithNINJI2021

Just now, NESfiend said:

Who even kept, let alone read, their manuals? The wrapping paper your parents put on the game was more likely to survive the day you opened it than the manual. 

And its 2020 and they are all available with a quick Google search and I still don't want to read the damn things! #gitgudwithNINJI2021

I was gonna say I just Google them if I don't know the game ahead of time. I'm not sitting on a full set of NES manuals.