IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It supposedly got upgraded to Level 3 because the cases "more than doubled" which is apparently a trigger on the chart, but 9 cases a day in a county with 200k people isn't exactly an outbreak.

I mean if that's the sole criteria they based it on then yeah that's nuts.  I guess at this point it's about to get out of control in this state anyways so it's not like the levels really matter.

Just now, Doctornick said:

I mean if that's the sole criteria they based it on then yeah that's nuts.  I guess at this point it's about to get out of control in this state anyways so it's not like the levels really matter.

That was the reasoning I got from the press conference. The numbers don't seem to be a issue until they say the cases "more than doubled" to make it sound far worse than it is.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That was the reasoning I got from the press conference. The numbers don't seem to be a issue until they say the cases "more than doubled" to make it sound far worse than it is.

Yeah that would be misleading as hell, I've pretty much stopped watching news on it because it's so depressing.  I hope everyone is ready for this to continue/revert back to lockdowns through the end of the year, all because people are selfish and ignorant.

• Like 2

Rats continue to be a problematic spin off of things:

https://www.newsweek.com/gangs-hungry-violent-rats-take-over-streets-us-cities-1511505

With city budgets already strained this can only get worse.  Rodents even under the best of times are hard to control since every one you manage to kill just makes room for one more since their reproductive rate is so high.   

It's been really quiet in here lately, I'm curious how things are going in other parts of the country.  Are masks required where you are?  Have any businesses closed back down or moved to carryout only?  

Also it's weird that the lag I was talking about is starting to show up again.  The people on TV told me Covid was getting better and only seemed to be increasing because we are testing more people.  Either way I hope you're all safe and distancing as best as you can.

• Like 1

South Central PA here. We've seen a small increase in cases but overall things are holding steady. Masks are "required" when you're in public but there's always a couple John Wayne's every time I go out who think no wearing a mask is the equivalent of forging the West. 

Businesses have closed for 2 weeks when they found staff has COVID but there is no state wide contact tracing. Nursing homes have really ramped up protection so we are seeing far fewer insta deaths which we saw a lot of at the start of this ( I know 2 personally ).

I think the most interesting thing if the graph. It's almost like something happened between May 30th and June 15th that had an impact on your COVID cases.Screenshot_20200713-093732.thumb.jpg.1af3387dd4ce39a3366b483f22be1335.jpg

Especially in places like LA. 

Screenshot_20200714-093009.thumb.jpg.0abeffb384eddae4d9a19c413126bdb2.jpg

I guess the world will never know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

South Central PA here. We've seen a small increase in cases but overall things are holding steady. Masks are "required" when you're in public but there's always a couple John Wayne's every time I go out who think no wearing a mask is the equivalent of forging the West. 

Businesses have closed for 2 weeks when they found staff has COVID but there is no state wide contact tracing. Nursing homes have really ramped up protection so we are seeing far fewer insta deaths which we saw a lot of at the start of this ( I know 2 personally ).

I think the most interesting thing if the graph. It's almost like something happened between May 30th and June 15th that had an impact on your COVID cases.Screenshot_20200713-093732.thumb.jpg.1af3387dd4ce39a3366b483f22be1335.jpg

Especially in places like LA. 

Screenshot_20200714-093009.thumb.jpg.0abeffb384eddae4d9a19c413126bdb2.jpg

I guess the world will never know. 

No possible way for us to figure it out, just one of the great mysteries of the world.  Thanks for the reply too, it's always better to hear from actual people instead of our wonderful news sites out there!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doctornick said:

No possible way for us to figure it out, just one of the great mysteries of the world.  Thanks for the reply too, it's always better to hear from actual people instead of our wonderful news sites out there!

In typical fashion, the positive cases and deaths on the graph are going down, but the chart says +1142 and +5. 

spacer.png

This is worth a read too since it follows up on my comment from the other day.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200714/dewinersquos-coronavirus-county-alert-map-slammed-as-deceptive-confusing?template=ampart&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

In typical fashion, the positive cases and deaths on the graph are going down, but the chart says +1142 and +5. 

spacer.png

This is worth a read too since it follows up on my comment from the other day.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200714/dewinersquos-coronavirus-county-alert-map-slammed-as-deceptive-confusing?template=ampart&__twitter_impression=true

Thanks man, planning on giving it a full read shortly!  I don't understand the level 3 being applied to anywhere outside of the heaviest zones (pretty much any large city here), but in all honesty I think the mask mandate should be statewide before our problems do spill over into the smaller counties.

Edited by Doctornick
I can't spell
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Thanks man, planning on giving it a full elread shortly!  I don't understand the level 3 being applied to anywhere outside of the heaviest zones (pretty much any large city here), but in all honesty I think the mask mandate should be statewide before our problems do spill over into the smaller counties.

I don't get it either. Notice there is no green on the map. It's not even an option. That kind of stuff bothers me when it looks like it's being intentionally skewed to look worse than it is.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Those are "+" to the total, not versus the previous day's daily increment.

They could have chosen better wording, but both the chart and the numbers are accurate for what they actually represent.

The mask issue points out one of my biggest fears in this country which are people who are anti science. 

Idk why a person's political affiliation has to reflect on their ability to digest scientific information. 

As someone who is rather fiscally conservative, it makes no sense why the right isn't pushing for masks. It would allow for businesses to operate at normal capacity sooner, including the service and hospitality industry which makes up a huge portion of our economy.

It's all this far right, librarian bullshit they adopted during the Obama administration that ended up polling so well. And then they throw god into it like he has a dog in the fight? 

It's like there is a think tank devoted to pleasing the stupidest people in the world. They have no concept of a logical fallacy or inductive reasoning as a whole, and they're exploited by strawmans, violations in the Law of Syllogism and Deduction.

Sorry to rant but it makes me frustrated as someone who has conservative values, I can not identify as a republican. The party has gone too far right. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The mask issue points out one of my biggest fears in this country which are people who are anti science. 

Idk why a person's political affiliation has to reflect on their ability to digest scientific information. 

As someone who is rather fiscally conservative, it makes no sense why the right isn't pushing for masks. It would allow for businesses to operate at normal capacity sooner, including the service and hospitality industry which makes up a huge portion of our economy.

It's all this far right, librarian bullshit they adopted during the Obama administration that ended up polling so well. And then they throw god into it like he has a dog in the fight? 

It's like there is a think tank devoted to pleasing the stupidest people in the world. They have no concept of a logical fallacy or inductive reasoning as a whole, and they're exploited by strawmans, violations in the Law of Syllogism and Deduction.

Sorry to rant but it makes me frustrated as someone who has conservative values, I can not identify as a republican. The party has gone too far right. 

I am on the same boat as you. I Think its because conservatism will only actually get you so far, and they are so deep in the hole they have to Fall back on governing by fear, voter suppression, gerrymandering etc. to maintain power. 

That being said, science is fucking science. 

Masks physically stop spit from flying out of your mouth. End of story. 

All these idiots screaming about Masks being mind control and whatnot makes me so sad and embarrassed for them. 

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted

I'm not an expert on infectious diseases, so I'm relying on those who are rather than just making my own ill-informed judgment about what to do.  And by FAAAAR, the overwhelming majority of scientists, health professionals, academics, and so many more, or telling me in no uncertain terms, that wearing a mask when in public, will:

(1) help to prevent the spread of COVID
(2) reduce the burden on our medical/hospital infrastructure
(3) reduce the burden on testing capabilities
(4) S A V E    L I V E S

And, naturally speaking, the items above will help the economy and help our infrastructure to be able to handle the onslaught of non-covid matters as well.

I don't know about you all, but I'm ok with a minor inconvenience in certain public locations, in order to save lives and help our economy.  I find it a bit odd and confusing when some of the people who were VERY angry about forced shutdowns to businesses, are now refusing to wear masks which will help comply and keep businesses open.  These are very strange times.

We should all know by now, that obviously masks aren't the ONLY / end-all be-all answer to COVID, and obviously we are working many other angles to this.  People are working on vaccines, studying the virus, bulking up testing, working on drugs to help with symptoms --- SO much is being done right now to fight this virus.  And most of us individuals can't really do much in some of those areas, but what we can do, is trust the experts who are begging us to wear masks in public around people, because it is something that we CAN do to make a difference.

I honestly, genuinely feel, that I am making a difference and potentially saving lives when I'm wearing a mask out in public.  I'm not embarrassed about it, or ashamed by it, nor has my ego taken a hit for being seen as "weak" or "afraid."  I'm proud of it.  I'm proud to at least try and do something.

• Like 4

Similar to what Corey said about masks and spit, I could have easily reached that conclusion as well, just by thinking for a few seconds.

I feel the problem started because the experts lied to us about it, out of the gate. Once the trust is broken, it's hard to get it back.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Similar to what Corey said about masks and spit, I could have easily reached that conclusion as well, just by thinking for a few seconds.

I feel the problem started because the experts lied to us about it, out of the gate. Once the trust is broken, it's hard to get it back.

I understand what you are saying, but that "confusion" has been long debunked and explained over and over and over.

I think it is abundantly clear at this point, or at least it should be, that masks will help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I understand what you are saying, but that "confusion" has been long debunked and explained over and over and over.

I think it is abundantly clear at this point, or at least it should be, that masks will help.

For people like you or me, sure. But just look at recent movements such as the flat earthers, the anti vaxxers , etc - I think we'd quickly denounce this stuff as bs too, but so many don't. So it just added a whole other dimension to the situation imo.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Ok, fair enough.  Well, that's unfortunate.  I can't really do anything about what happened in the past, nor can I reach some of the anti-maskers.  All I can do is try to continue to be positive and encourage people to wear them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

Ok, fair enough.  Well, that's unfortunate.  I can't really do anything about what happened in the past, nor can I reach some of the anti-maskers.  All I can do is try to continue to be positive and encourage people to wear them.

Yeah, I think that's sadly the most we can do.

Here in Taiwan, a large portion of the anti mask crowd are old gits, anti social distancing crowd spans all ages though. Today I practically elbowed a woman in the tits while putting my change away at the shop, she was so close to me.

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

For people like you or me, sure. But just look at recent movements such as the flat earthers, the anti vaxxers , etc - I think we'd quickly denounce this stuff as bs too, but so many don't. So it just added a whole other dimension to the situation imo.

Yep. For people who are anti science, it doesn't make sense to change your opinion based on emerging information. Mask the sick was a practice done all over the world for decades so that what the WHO recommend. It turned out there was a long incubation period where a person is pre-symptomatic (mean time 11 days) so the news changed to mask everyone, since we couldn't identify the sick fast enough. 

Those types of ppl you listed don't change their minds, they dig their heels in. So instead of using the lastest data to make good decisions, they double down and start connecting dots that don't exist. There's no way they can discern any difference between the WHO and CDC so when the WHO comes under fire to pandering to China, that magically discredits the CDC as well. 

• Like 3