IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

2 hours ago, Matchbook said:

You, my friend, are a legend!

You, my friend, are a flatterer!

I'm just a guy who still prefers NES over everything else and plays a little bit of everything. My skill level is probably well below all of the heavyweights in the weekly contests, but my knowledge base of the NES catalog is very broad and deep.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, NESfiend said:

You are a champ to take on bases loaded. I have done BL2 the last couple years and your strategy is about right imo. The games are very winnable generally. I found playing 2-3 games at night when I was 50% asleep to be just perfect. Too tired to succeed at much of anything else, but still have something to do half asleep to the news or a seinfeld rerun. Enjoyable when you are out of gas.

However you do it, I doubt you will have anyone wanting to take it from you. Really nice of you to take that on.

@the_wizard_666

That's how I handled Bases Loaded 1 last year - I did 4-6 games a day starting on Jan 1 and paced it over 2-3 weeks. You can imagine my surprise when that guy popped in on around Jan 10 last year and said he finished BL 1-4, Championship Pool, and like 10 other super hard or long games already.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted

for some reason my emulator, fceux quit working on my pc, so i guess i will dig out my dw2 cart if this is still available, also had some personal shit going on, but i will complete this for us here.  Just keeping you all informed as i, as i said had some personal shit going on.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 447/677 (bonus games - 52/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 452/677 (bonus games - 53/100)

Mendel Palace is done, I think.

For some reason, my NES version of the ROM kept freezing on my Everdrive on the boss at the end of the Sumo enemies' stages. So I had to switch over to playing the Famicom version, Quinty, which was more cooperative. Some of the levels and bosses are a bit different from the U.S. version, but both versions are the same length, roughly the same difficulty, and have the same annoying final boss.

Seems like this should be an acceptable version to complete for the purposes of this challenge, but I'll leave it to the judges.

5 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

This is on my backlog, the amount of times I’ve gotten to the last level but not finished it is stupid 

The jukebox stage? It's really annoying! Barbie's platforming agility is abysmal, and those platforms in that stage are so small. But the conveyor belt that runs 85% of the length of the stage that automatically runs you helplessly all the way back to the beginning of that gauntlet? That's just pure, "Our game is only 20 minutes of mediocrity long and people are going to be pissed that they spent $50 on it. Make the last level impossibly hard to keep the players busy longer!"

I have two basic pieces of advice on the jukebox. First, be patient and deliberate in your jumps. There's no timer, and virtually no enemies or hazards. Get into a good rhythm. Second, the falling... coins (?) that are your only hazard have a very predictable pattern, including a lengthy pause after a certain number have fallen. (I think it was after every four on the slow drops and seven on the fast dropping ones.) Only move past those hazards during the pause between series; it may look like you have space to slip between the slow-falling coins, but I think I take a hit every time because Barbie moves like a pregnant moose.

I'm amazed that I only fell once or twice into the conveyor belt. It was probably because I was just playing Conquest of the Crystal Palace. I was frustrated to realize that I wasn't going to be able to beat it last night, and I realized my completion-a-day streak was in serious jeopardy. But my platforming skills were pretty sharp by the time I switched to Barbie for a chance at a quicker completion.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I started 1943 and was quite enjoying it and wondering why no one was playing it. It has unlimited continues and palys fairly smooth. But then after a few levels the difficulty increased dramatically. Even more levels later I was starting to wonder when this would finally end. I refer to a guide and was flabbergasted by how many levels this game has!

I played it the past two days and made it to level 13 out of 24 and when I just wanted to continue I realized that my right hand still hurts from the constant button pressing and that I won't be able to continue this game for maybe a few more days.

25 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I started 1943 and was quite enjoying it and wondering why no one was playing it. It has unlimited continues and palys fairly smooth. But then after a few levels the difficulty increased dramatically.

You answered your own question there. I tried it a year or two back and always have really liked the game. But Ive probably seen less than 40% of it. It gets crazy hard fast. You are a champ for taking that one out. 

I have 2 games left to finish tecmo cup soccer. Should be able to finish it out this week. 

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I started 1943 and was quite enjoying it and wondering why no one was playing it. It has unlimited continues and palys fairly smooth. But then after a few levels the difficulty increased dramatically. Even more levels later I was starting to wonder when this would finally end. I refer to a guide and was flabbergasted by how many levels this game has!

I played it the past two days and made it to level 13 out of 24 and when I just wanted to continue I realized that my right hand still hurts from the constant button pressing and that I won't be able to continue this game for maybe a few more days.

I tried it a few years ago. I even got to the final boss gauntlet a few times and came close to beating it once or twice. You have to 100% obliterate several battleships in a row. I've seen something about a glitch to get extra power-ups, which would come in handy at the end. Might be worth reading into it before going any further.