IGNORED

Weekend spent in the gameroom NOT playing games... MINI UPDATE new XBOX shelves!!!

OptOut

Yo fellas, gameroom update for all y'all, I know how you like these! 😄

Normally a weekend spent in the gameroom means a bunch of sweet one-on-one time with a game or two of choice! However, this weekend I got to spend time with basically ALL of my games!

I already got my game room KINDA sorted out, and been adding to it with extra shelves and units here and there over the last couple years. But, you know how things go, you buy more stuff, you have to jam things in here and there, you get a big load of stuff in and so you kinda just put it on a shelf, although you KNOW that's not really where you want it... Eventually the games start to get out of order and overgrow, and you just gotta have a good ol' reshuffle! 😊

So, that's what this thread is about! My main concern was to make better use of the space I already have. I have enough shelves and units etc. dotted about the room and I think any more will just become oppressive, I don't want the room to feel like a total cave. So, most of my reorganization was focused on clearing and adding shelves within the storage I already have set up.

Another key focus was room to grow. I have no intention of slowing down my collecting any time soon, but I don't want to have to redo my entire room again every time I make a big addition to the collection. So, I have made sure to leave plenty of space on shelves that I KNOW I will be buying more stuff and adding to.

ANYWAY, enough of that, let's get to the pics! 😋

IMG20211212210927.jpg.1653f0754be619d8d54c937ec8e42147.jpg

This is the heart of the game room, naturally, and I haven't changed MUCH here. I did manage to find that old yellow plastic thing with the 5 box drawers so I cleaned it up and put it to use to give me more space to store some of my old systems and controllers, as well as my DS and Gameboy stuff. I'll probably decorate it with some stickers and put some more things on top of it over time!

IMG20211212211018.jpg.120b82b88338c3ba0a0af1a6662d41da.jpg

Behind the couch there's a cubby with a curtain. Previously I just had a bunch of junk and like empty boxes and packing material all behind there, but it was a MESS. I cleaned the entire thing out and chucked out a BUNCH of useless old trash (that was also where I found the 5 yellow box thing). I moved all of my packing materials, unused tubs and shelving etc. and other miscellaneous items into the enclosed space behind the sliding glass door.

Now I just have 4 big tubs in that cubby, holding systems and controllers for N64, GCN, Wii and XBOX stuff, as well as my handhelds. Each box is easily accessible, although this area has great potential for the future if I want to add shelves for extra overflow stuff, there's plenty of free space behind the curtain there.

IMG20211212211025.jpg.bd033f77d5de44059eab3ff94afc6744.jpg

This wall is as it was, haven't really changed anything. I DO think the units here are a LITTLE too cluttered and I can't really add anything else to them. Probably I will try and find some way to tidy these up a bit and move some of the clutter, but as of yet haven't settled on what I want to do.

IMG20211212211037.thumb.jpg.fa979b28e27d81ff8b3aa55527c933f5.jpg

Now we are getting into the real MEAT of the rearrangement! Previously, I used this shelving area to store the big tubs with all my systems and controllers. However, I realized that I was using those less and less as my gaming set-up got to how I wanted it, so I was really just wasting space having those giant boxes sit on my shelves.

Instead I have started from the beginning, NES and Famicom at the top, then SNES/SFC and then N64. As you can see, I have left a little room for FC and SFC to grow, N64 is basically done so I don't need much more space for that stuff. Bottom shelf is basically just junk, so I can grow into that space too, as necessary.

IMG20211212211117.thumb.jpg.2dc5ca1958f006cd5468ca1748cc8c26.jpg

Okay, so in the middle here, we are continuing on in a similar vein! GCN up top, followed by Wii. The middle two shelves there are almost entirely unoccupied, I just shoved a couple of things there to fill up the space. As my collection grows, this will be a prime area to expand into.

IMG20211212211142.jpg.225779db148b00b173e3d39748e6f828.jpg

I'm not BIG on tat, generally speaking, although I DID make sure to save space for this little Pokémon shrine here! Undoubtedly, I WILL end up changing this at some point, but I'm gonna enjoy it for now! 🤓

IMG20211212211252.thumb.jpg.579d5d809f6289219ddbe0eaf8e22c8d.jpg

Sega Megadrive stuff on the third set of shelving here! I am MAJORLY planning to expand my Sega collection in the coming years, I want this WHOLE thing full of Megadrive games eventually!

When the time comes I will remove all the non-Sega items from the lower half (which is basically just filler ATM) and fit MORE shelves in so that I can have the whole thing full of Megadrive games! 😍

IMG20211212210939.thumb.jpg.8520a908b8052f18966c7ffa0156ae8c.jpg

Finally, we complete our 360 degree gameroom tour with, appropriately enough, my XBOX and 360 games! This was actually the impetus for my ENTIRE gameroom reorganization actually. Originally I had my XBOX stuff in the top half of this bookcase, and my Sega stuff in the bottom half. However a big XBOX purchase recently basically threw that balance entirely out the window! Now, both my OG XBOX and 360 collection have PLENTY of room to grow! 🤩

I hope to have this entire bookcase filled with XBOX and 360 games in the next couple years. There's also a space next to this bookcase which I will probably fill with some small unit of some kind, or like a mini table or a stand or... Okay I'll stop now, lol! 😅

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my little gameroom tour here, and here's to the next X number of years collecting!!! 🍻

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 8
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 8

4 hours ago, CasualCart said:

That front-facing game wall is a sight to behold, @OptOut

I always appreciate when someone's collection is curated enough to pull that off without infinite display-space.

-CasualCart

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

I knew I liked the cut of your jib.  Jealous of that whole wall of front facing games.  Bold use of space.  

Thanks guys! 😊

Definitely couldn't let those BEAUTIFUL Japanese N64 covers go to waste! Plus, it's handy they went vertical with those covers, rather than horizontal like the rest of the world, so they look FAR better all lined up like that! 😍

My only real issue is selecting which games to display, as I can't show them all. Every now and then I swap a few around, maybe I'll have another big reshuffle on them soon, put some fresh faces up! 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Thanks guys! 😊

Definitely couldn't let those BEAUTIFUL Japanese N64 covers go to waste! Plus, it's handy they went vertical with those covers, rather than horizontal like the rest of the world, so they look FAR better all lined up like that! 😍

My only real issue is selecting which games to display, as I can't show them all. Every now and then I swap a few around, maybe I'll have another big reshuffle on them soon, put some fresh faces up! 😉

This post has tempted me to add more to my Japanese N64 collection...might have to hit you up in the new year 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shmup said:

This post has tempted me to add more to my Japanese N64 collection...might have to hit you up in the new year 🙂

Go ahead dude, Kimono OptOut San's Nintendo Sixty-Fourium is always happy to provide service for curious and adventurous clientele looking for a taste of the Orient! 😉 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

• The title was changed to Weekend spent in the gameroom NOT playing games... UPDATED Mega Drive shelf expansion!!!

After my little reorganization a month or two ago, and after finishing off my N64 set, I decided to shift focus to Japanese Mega Drive!

Been having fun with some awesome games for this system, but after buying a BUNCH more games it eventually came time to revisit the shelving for this particular section...

IMG20220319183338.thumb.jpg.293094bb13e3e086770048b19f1dc66e.jpg

It doesn't look like much has changed, but if you compare to the same picture in the OP you will see I actually took our and repositioned basically all of these shelves, as well as adding new ones! I think this really does make the most of my space! 😊

As for the future, well the Japanese Mega Drive set isn't CRAZY, just like 420 something games, and I have about 150 ATM. I am actually aiming for something like 220 games realistically, about half the set should be a cool mid-term target I reckon... Let's see how it goes, eh?! 😉

• Like 9
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, drxandy said:

Lookin real noiiiice! 

I like your cube, Wii, gameboy? And Pokemon stuff on the right too 🙂

Oh yeah actually that's my tiny little Virtual Boy collection!

IMG20211213212709.jpg.9c05f20f86055bf8c24cb1238b1b82f1.jpg

Not much to speak of, although then again there isn't much for that system anyway!

I got into VB last year, after wanting to try one for AGES! It never came out in the UK where I grew up, so when I finally got a chance to buy one local for a decent price I went for it!

Actually, for all the flak it gets, really unique system with some solid games! I'm a fan! 😎

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I don't suppose during the process you had a kitty sit down and watch you?  I've had to put together a few bookcases I got form Amazon a year or so ago and it was so kawaii whenever kitty would sit down and watch me.🥰

Yeah, Tiddles was chilling on the back of the couch, didn't you see him in the OP? 🤭

681436357_tiddlesroom.png.beb98da44e0ab26247bd3f4a0b567369.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

Yeah, Tiddles was chilling on the back of the couch, didn't you see him in the OP? 🤭

Oh it was YOU...  You just keep those filthy disgusting things as far away from me as possible...

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Weekend spent in the gameroom NOT playing games... MINI UPDATE new XBOX shelves!!!

Just a little update, went to B&Q today and got a new Bosch electric drill driver, and a little set of shelves to put up with it!

IMG20221217203910.thumb.jpg.b633b311a7c7cc1024bac664057e7b8f.jpg

I have been wanting to expand my XBOX storage for a while, my OG XBOX and 360 collection has expanded rather dramatically in the last year or two, and I've finally grown out of my first bookcase there!

IMG20221217203836.thumb.jpg.6496f3a04ba32850c765ce953a76f6a8.jpg

I decided to get a substantially smaller bookcase for the expansion, obviously to fit in the smaller space next to my entertainment centre there, but also to avoid making the room feel overly cluttered.

I am currently using it to mainly display a small number of larger items, but as time goes by it will inevitably fill with overflow from my XBOX collection. One other cool touch is that it has given me some additional vertical space to hang a couple things on I previously had no where to display:

IMG20221217220308.thumb.jpg.3001f0f2148f38f1d56a2e3d94f3e21f.jpg

Overall, pretty pleased with this small new addition! 😄

• Like 3
  • Love 1