IGNORED

Crime & Punishment -- USA Edition

On 4/6/2022 at 4:49 PM, avatar! said:

That seems almost counter productive on a few levels.  

1) While it may deter this thief it will not likely deter others.
2) Said thief (from above) might well return later and trash the outside of the vehicle in retaliation.
3) The owner still has to replace the window.
4) The flash bang may have left residue in the cab which now has to be cleaned up.
5) Depending on local laws it might be illegal.*
6) If a thief were to be injured he would likely be able to sue the owner.

While I can well understand the desire to get even with these pieces of  dog crap that do this stuff I don't think this is really the most effective thing to do - however satisfying it may be upon initial glance.

*In Colorado (which has a really strong home affirmative defense law) it is illegal to booby trap your car, business, or home with anything that can seriously injure or kill someone.

Edited by Tabonga

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

While I can well understand the desire to get even with these pieces of  dog crap that do this stuff I don't think this is really the most effective thing to do - however satisfying it may be upon initial glance.

*In Colorado (which has a really strong home affirmative defense law) it is illegal to booby trap your car, business, or home with anything that can seriously injure or kill someone.

I would agree. The problem with booby traps is that they're indiscriminate. While it's easy to say that someone entering without your permission shouldn't be there, that can't account for all circumstances (law enforcement entering for some reason, giving a maintenance guy access and forgetting the trap, etc.) At least with something like a gun the operator can make a determination as to the target.

Edited by Tulpa

Just now, Tulpa said:

I would agree. The problem with booby traps is that they're indiscriminate. While it's easy to say that someone entering without your permission shouldn't be there, that can't account for all circumstances (law enforcement entering for some reason, etc.) At least with something like a gun the operator can make a determination as to the target.

The Colorado law (somewhat disingenuously (IMHO) named the "Make My Day Law") rests on the assumption that anyone breaking into your (occupied) house reasonably poses a threat to the occupant(s) and is an affirmative defense,  So someone breaks into my house I have a legal right to use any force (including lethal) to protect myself and others in the house and I generally can't be charged with any crime.  The idea of a booby trap is usually to protect unoccupied structures/vehicles so that affirmative defense doesn't not apply.

Drunken driver convicted in crash that left daughter unable to walk sentenced to 26-plus years

https://www.yahoo.com/news/drunken-driver-convicted-crash-left-000557307.html

Kansas sentencing guidelines called for Jimmy Dean Landis to face a maximum potential prison sentence of 11 years, four months, on his most serious conviction, for aggravated battery while DUI causing great bodily harm or disfigurement.

But Shawnee County District Attorney Mike Kagay asked District Judge Steven Ebberts Friday to exercise his option of giving Landis a stiffer sentence.

Ebberts then did that.

He sentenced Landis to 21 years, eight months for that crime and to a total of four years, 10 months for other related crimes, putting Landis' total at 26 years, six months.

Conan Obrian Applause GIF

• Like 1

Screenshot-from-2022-04-17-23-30-46.png

The suspect in a South Carolina mall shooting in which nine people were wounded has been released under house arrest and ordered to wear an ankle monitor after a judge set a $25,000 surety bond. The suspect, Jewayne Price, is also barred from contacting any of the victims, Columbia police said on Twitter. Price will be allowed to travel from his home to work while he is under house arrest. Neither Price nor his attorney could immediately be reached for comment.

My reaction:

what the fuck GIF

Edited by avatar!

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Apparently the young woman was Hispanic and beaten by some 20 black teenage "girls" who called her all kinds of racial slurs. Absolutely horrible. While I know some will say "oh, well, this is a consequence of the pandemic" it seems to me this if far deeper. This shit will continue to happen until there are real consequences. Teens feel like they can get away with anything, and unfortunately, the law mostly lets them. I don't ever remember Boston being as unsafe and unfriendly as it is now...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

While I know some will say "oh, well, this is a consequence of the pandemic" it seems to me this if far deeper. 

I wonder if they would be so phlegmatic if it was their mother, wife, girlfriend, sister, daughter, etc. that this happened to. 

Let's hope the hapless victim makes a full recovery.

• Like 1

Downtown Crossing alleged juvenile attackers arrested again after fight at McDonald’s: Boston Police

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/04/25/downtown-crossing-alleged-juvenile-attackers-arrested-again-after-fight-at-mcdonalds-boston-police/

The juveniles that allegedly attacked a woman in Downtown Crossing last week were back at it again over the weekend, getting in a fight at a McDonald’s as one of them punched a worker in the face, police report.

The kids less than an hour later returned to the McDonald’s, apparently trying to fight the employees. One of the kids had a metal cane, which he was swinging at the restaurant’s lights. The group eventually took off running.

Then police officers found the juveniles at the corner of Warren and Edgewood streets. One of the kids is accused of calling an officer racial slurs — and said she was going to “(expletive) him up.”

As the officers tried to place her in handcuffs, she “began to swing at officers, making contact with Officer Centeio’s face and kicking Officer Marcel in the genitals.” The three kids were arrested.

The violence continued as officers at the scene attempted to apprehend the suspects. As one suspect was being arrested, another came up to another officer and allegedly spit on him, and in turn was arrested. Both were placed in the same police cruiser and started trying to kick down the doors.

As long as there's no consequences, these "juveniles" will continue to assault and vandalize, until someone someday kills one or two of them, or they in turn kill one or two people. That is absolutely how it will end, unless there's real intervention, but of course there clearly is not.

bp.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 3:53 PM, avatar! said:

Apparently the young woman was Hispanic and beaten by some 20 black teenage "girls" who called her all kinds of racial slurs. Absolutely horrible. While I know some will say "oh, well, this is a consequence of the pandemic" it seems to me this if far deeper. This shit will continue to happen until there are real consequences. Teens feel like they can get away with anything, and unfortunately, the law mostly lets them. I don't ever remember Boston being as unsafe and unfriendly as it is now...

https://news.yahoo.com/boston-juveniles-hurling-racial-slurs-173621929.html

Screenshot-from-2022-04-27-17-43-22.png

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chippewa-falls-eighth-grader-arrested-in-lily-peters-death-intended-to-rape-and-kill-her-prosecutor-says

District Attorney Wade Newell told the judge that, according to statements allegedly made to cops, the boy said his “intention was to rape and kill victim from the get-go when he left the house with the victim going down the trail.” Newell confirmed the boy is a 14-year-old eighth grader.

The boy, who has not been publicly identified, is being prosecuted in adult court for now but Newell said his defense team is allowed to make a request for the case to be transferred to juvenile court.

In my mind, this sociopath is a danger to society, can NOT be rehabilitated to society, and serves no useful purpose. Anyone want to try and convince me otherwise?? 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Tabonga said:

https://news.yahoo.com/columbus-man-accused-stealing-more-152428814.html

This f**ker and his band of low lifes caused somewhere between $1,309,500 and $2,722,500 worth of damage to people's vehicles -   for that amount they out to go to the slammer (if found guilty)  for a very very long time.

As someone who recently moved from Columbus, all I can say is "hell yeah!" This has been a huge problem there and it sounds like these jizzmuppets were a major factor

13 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

As someone who recently moved from Columbus, all I can say is "hell yeah!" This has been a huge problem there and it sounds like these jizzmuppets were a major factor

The other similar crime that is becoming more common is that the schmucks will drill a hole in the bottom of a gas tank to drain whatever is in there.  Replacing said gas tank will cost about $2000.

I admit to laughing when one of the converter thiefs improperly jacks up a vehicle and manages to drop it on themselves - often putting the criminal's career to a premature and sudden end.

9 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I'm getting Soprano-like vibes from this one. I'm guessing the human remains are most likely (and hopefully) not exactly from honest law-abiding citizens...

the sopranos hbo GIF

12-year-old boy shot after woman fires into crowd, police say

According to police, they took 35-year-old Latorya Lemons into custody for harassment earlier in the week...According to a police affidavit, Lemons was charged with two counts of harassment. She is accused of threatening to kill her ex-boyfriend. She was locked up and released on bond on those charges. After being released, police say she shot the child in North Memphis in a drive-by shooting that landed her back behind bars.

During her arrest, police report hearing Lemons yelling she would kill everyone in the household. FOX13 recently checked with the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office who informed us that Lemons is no longer in custody for either charge.

https://news.yahoo.com/12-old-boy-shot-woman-013440058.html

Wow... shooting a 12-year old and then still being able to bond out of jail! Amazing, and then later people wonder why violent crimes keep increasing. Oh, wait. That's right, I forgot, it's clearly "the guns", yeah, that's it 😠