IGNORED

Sharedata Chiller NES Advertisement

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well, if you're intent on turning over every single rock in your quest for new information, then take this chip scrubbing and run with it 🙂  I hope we learn a lot from your research, but my only fear is that you will "have" to find proof of this game's release in order to validate said research, at which point you will have lost sight of what you were even searching for to begin with:  THE TRUTH.

Also, if you never find proof of this game's "release," how will you ever know when to stop?  How deep will you dig?  When will you give up?  Hell if I know, but I hope you uncover some cool new information in your travels...

Peace 🙂

Honestly, my interest is going well beyond Chiller at this point.  I'm interested in the company as a whole.  It's kind of a neat little rabbit hole.  So yeah, I don't need to prove or disprove anything to feel validated - consolidating information and drawing some semblance of a company profile is my end reward.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah it is a Game Axe Color. Nice to know I'm not the only one here who had one 🤣

Had?  I'm pretty sure I still have two.   Would have been happy with one, but was taking the first one with me one day in a plastic shopping bag and the bottom managed to rip out and drop it onto pavement before I got in the car.  System still works fine (video out via a Genesis 2 cable FTW), but both of the weird incandescent backlight bulbs were shattered, so I picked up another one for portable play.  Transformers was my only convenient game to play on that thing for years, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Remove the pic, I already reported you for harassment BTW

As mentioned earlier, no need to sink to that level of posting personal pictures of members from 20 years ago.

This board's mantra is/was that it would have more free expression than the old NA.  That picture was posted on NA and allowed to stand for the full length of the thread; I'll leave it up to the mods here to judge the posting of that pic in this instance accordingly.

2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm also wondering if their injunction might not be pseudo-related to their action(s) against Atari over the Tengen business with Tetris.  Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc., were being published on the NES by GameTek (IIRC), so perhaps Nintendo was just creating precedence for their position in the Tetris case where they had the console rights but Atari had different video game rights.  Sharedata clearly had the personal computer rights to those titles, and had for many years at that point, so why not cut them off at the knees before they could publish a competing product without license and potentially muddy the waters for Nintendo's plans to sue the pants off of Atari?  Pure speculation, but it lines up time-wise in regard to them beginning to build a case.

Speculation indeed, but something to consider nonetheless.  I can't seem to find any info about the injunction though, but I also don't know where to start looking either.  Court docs would likely shed some light on things in that regard.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Speculation indeed, but something to consider nonetheless.  I can't seem to find any info about the injunction though, but I also don't know where to start looking either.  Court docs would likely shed some light on things in that regard.

If we can get @fcgamer to link what article he pulled the screenshot(s) referencing it from, we might be able to just check the sources for the story versus having to blindly go wading through court records.  Companies can sue one another in virtually any court they see fit (sympathetic judge/jury shopping), so it could very easily turn into a wild goose chase if we don't have somewhere solid to start.

15 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Based on the injunction Nintendo got against them basically immediately following the public revelation that Sharedata was planning to release unlicensed games for the NES, I'd wager it was also to quickly bypass any further hurdles Nintendo might want to throw their way.  Pretty hard to stop Sharedata from releasing NES games if they're actually having their subsidiary do it for them.

The information is taken out of context, but to be fair, I didn't post the whole article.

The injunctions ShareData were hit with were from IJE, in regards to ShareData's Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc software for computers.

The injunctions were not related to Nintendo at all.

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

This board's mantra is/was that it would have more free expression than the old NA.  That picture was posted on NA and allowed to stand for the full length of the thread; I'll leave it up to the mods here to judge the posting of that pic in this instance accordingly.

Free expression is great until it infringes on someone else's rights.  He obviously doesn't want it posted anymore.  And it's not like he can run to NA and remove it from the archives.  In this case, you're simply being a bully, and if there's a shred of morality in you you'd just acquiesce to the reasonable request to remove it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

If we can get @fcgamer to link what article he pulled the screenshot(s) referencing it from, we might be able to just check the sources for the story versus having to blindly go wading through court records.  Companies can sue one another in virtually any court they see fit (sympathetic judge/jury shopping), so it could very easily turn into a wild goose chase if we don't have somewhere solid to start.

I'm not sure if the screenshots were from the Times article, but since I have that, I'll post it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b4nAr0T7ldQRpsrRgIRRNSXUyGAdCe5k/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102257403836446438292&rtpof=true&sd=true

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Free expression is great until it infringes on someone else's rights.  He obviously doesn't want it posted anymore.  And it's not like he can run to NA and remove it from the archives.  In this case, you're simply being a bully, and if there's a shred of morality in you you'd just acquiesce to the reasonable request to remove it.

He has no more "right" to have that photo taken down than Axl Rose had a "right" to force google to remove all his "fat pics" from worldwide internet search engines...

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

The information is taken out of context, but to be fair, I didn't post the whole article.

The injunctions ShareData were hit with were from IJE, in regards to ShareData's Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc software for computers.

The injunctions were not related to Nintendo at all.

I could have sworn that it said that Nintendo pursued and won the injunction against them, regardless of who it was protecting with the suit.  I knew it was about their software for computers, but my thinking goes along the lines of Sharedata already having a successful multi-years-long trade with those titles, some of which used the same CPU as the NES, so if they could hamstring their rights to the PC software, they could effectively block any/all ports they might want to make since they were entering the unofficial NES market.

Re-reading it, I guess it doesn't say at the end of the one blurb who sought the injunction, and the second blurb doesn't say what ruling was in favor of Nintendo.  Ah, well, so much for my dreams of Nintendo blatantly showing its mercenary tendencies, lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So tell me how exactly my statement is wrong?  He kept a cart.  It's not known whether Sharedata knew he did, but odds are they didn't.  I suggested that he (and probably other) CD employees may have had carts made for them to keep because there is always a possibility that this was done.  It's technically theft, so there won't be any evidence about it, but the possibility is there.  I think it's more likely that they're Sharedata rejects, but there's no way to know that for certain.

In the other post I posited that CD initially did the manufacturing for ShareData - this seems more plausible than ShareData opting to go all-in and buy more crap to assemble carts themselves, when in debt with interest rates of 30%, unable to sell their bread and butter computer game software, especially when ShareData was getting all their stuff from Color Dreams anyway, from shells to boards to lockout chip defeating technology.

So I don't think it was some concious effort of taking the cart, or theft by lack of return - it's more likely, it was just lying around the office as it was a project CD was working on.

15 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm also wondering if their injunction might not be pseudo-related to their action(s) against Atari over the Tengen business with Tetris.  Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc., were being published on the NES by GameTek (IIRC), so perhaps Nintendo was just creating precedence for their position in the Tetris case where they had the console rights but Atari had different video game rights.  Sharedata clearly had the personal computer rights to those titles, and had for many years at that point, so why not cut them off at the knees before they could publish a competing product without license and potentially muddy the waters for Nintendo's plans to sue the pants off of Atari?  Pure speculation, but it lines up time-wise in regard to them beginning to build a case.

It's not related to the NES stuff or Nintendo, pm me your email address and I'll e-mail you the article, though I'm not gonna post the whole article here .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He has no more "right" to have that photo taken down than Axl Rose had a "right" to force google to remove all his "fat pics" from worldwide internet search engines...

Actually, legally, he usually does.  Axl Rose is considered a "public figure," since he's a (reasonably) well known celebrity, whereas fcgamer is not.  As such, fcgamer has more of an expectation of privacy than a celebrity would, and in most legal arenas would win by default when pursuing legal recourse to keep his details private and out of the public record.  You had your fun, I got to see that someone else out there bought a GameAxe, no need to run in circles and be a dick about it, especially when you'll probably just end up with your post deleted and a warning added by a mod if you don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You are a terrible liar dude.  Just edit the picture out, it's entirely unnecessary, and clearly he doesn't want it out there.

Yeah, but it's NOT common in the NES realm.  Color Dreams was manufacturing these carts for ShareData.  If I were ShareData, I'd be trying to glean every bit of info that I could off of it so I could source the parts directly instead of through a middleman.  And if I were Color Dreams, I would do everything I could to make that as difficult as possible.  It's pertinent data that would hint at the purpose of the carts.  If you weren't just blindly hostile to the person who posted it, you might've seen that connection yourself.

I haven't actually read through the NYT article yet, although I did a bit of editing to make it readable (copy/pasted into Word and deleted the adverts).  I was referring to the other snippets you'd posted.  Or were they from the same article?  That may be part of the confusion on my part 😄

The other articles seem to be just that, short blurbs. I'll try to refind and message you the links later, maybe there was a way to register and see more but I couldn't find it.

• Like 1

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

Makes me wish I had some compromising photos of you kicking around.  Just to prove a point.

He shared that photo with the community himself - totally different.

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

You had your fun, I got to see that someone else out there bought a GameAxe, no need to run in circles and be a dick about it, especially when you'll probably just end up with your post deleted and a warning added by a mod if you don't.

I know you're right, but when someone personally calls you "irritating" after quoting a post that is completely on topic and sums up relevant facts concerning the topic at hand, well that's bear-baiting where I come from.

But I will remove the pic, since I've already 100% won the argument about blue Chiller not being released, isn't that right, @fcgamer?  Yeah, I knew you'd agree with me... 🙂

11 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm not sure if the screenshots were from the Times article, but since I have that, I'll post it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b4nAr0T7ldQRpsrRgIRRNSXUyGAdCe5k/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102257403836446438292&rtpof=true&sd=true

No, screens were from two shorter articles, the length being the screens

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

No, screens were from two shorter articles, the length being the screens

Cool, I'll save them as is then. 

Just now, guitarzombie said:

And now it went back to not only supreme cringe, but possibly the cringiest thread in VGSs existence.  It was fun while it lasted.  🤙

LOL!  I tried my best to keep it going, but you know, people gonna people.

3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

And now it went back to not only supreme cringe, but possibly the cringiest thread in VGSs existence.  It was fun while it lasted.  🤙

Try to find a long thread where fcgamer aka TRM is featured predominantly that doesn't end that way.... seriously search VGS, NA, Digital Press...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

after quoting a post that is completely on topic and sums up relevant facts concerning the topic at hand,

The chips bit is like the screens bit - it doesn't prove anything, either way, and shouldn't be interpreted as such.

Regarding quantities, if the thing was only sold via mail order, for four months, it easily could result in a situation where only a very few copies were sold.

Regarding the obtainment of the carts, yes that should be taken into consideration, but at least one cart was obtained from a random eBay auction, possibly two (I seem to recall seeing a second one sell by itself at auction back in the day as well).

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He shared that photo with the community himself - totally different.

On a site that no longer exists.  And even if it did, the fact that you'd have to dig through archives and long-dead posts to find it, and that YOU are posting it here for the FIRST TIME without his consent, AND he requested it be taken down after you did...the fact that you found it on the internet doesn't mean you have the right to distribute the picture. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Regarding quantities, if the thing was only sold via mail order, for four months, it easily could result in a situation where only a very few copies were sold.

How long was Action 52 sold by mail order, because there are THOUSANDS of copies out there.

No way in high holy hell did this game sell via full page ad in GAMEPRO for FOUR SOLID MONTHS and only result in five known copies.  No f'n way.   I know how strongly you want to believe in this, Dave, but sorry, no f'n way....

EDIT - I should say resulting in only THREE copies out there, because two of the known five are from an inside source... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Try to find a long thread where fcgamer aka TRM is featured predominantly that doesn't end that way.... seriously search VGS, NA, Digital Press...

You're not helping either dude.  You can't toss fuel on the fire and then blame the fire for burning.

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Regarding the obtainment of the carts, yes that should be taken into consideration, but at least one cart was obtained from a random eBay auction, possibly two (I seem to recall seeing a second one sell by itself at auction back in the day as well).

Without confirmation from past sellers, we have no way of validating any of that.  It doesn't prove or disprove anything.  The only ones we can consider are the ones who's provenance can be determined.  And the only copies to have any sort of provenance are @Ferris Bueller's cart, and @NESWORLD's cart.  The rest, unless someone chimes in, could have come from anywhere.  Also, who's to say the random eBay sellers weren't former Color Dreams employees as well?  Or ShareData employees for that matter?  While your recollections are interesting, they're simply conjecture, nothing more, nothing less.

• Agree 1