IGNORED

What's this N64 thing?

OptOut

I've been doing a bunch of bidding on Yahoo auctions in Japan, rounding out my Japanese N64 collection. Finally finished that set (just missing on box) but that's another story!

Anyway, while I was there I saw this weird thing and figured, hey, gimmie.

IMG20211015172428.jpg.55f34421b03b16184129a9201a59ebb5.jpg

I believe this is the "front" of the thing, it's made out of metal, pretty heavy, and it has two N64 controller plugs coming out the front. The cables are not secured tightly, so you can adjust the length of the cables as you wish. There is also a label on there in Japanese, which I have also seen on some proto/development gear previously.

IMG20211015172452.jpg.aea98289bfe5212e8398d9890fa71968.jpg

On the "back" of the thing there is a hole with these connectors which are soldered directly to the circuit board.

IMG20211015172433.jpg.e15eb34571c14164ed37e32a2470702f.jpg

As for the rest of the thing, there's not much to see. Some holes that have dust in them, I'm guessing something was supposed to sit on top of this. It's filthy, but then again so am I, so who am I to judge? 😘

So, there we have it! I am assuming this is either some sort of development hardware for testing controller input or something, or maybe part of a kiosk?

Anyone have any better ideas?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Personally I think it’s part of a kiosk the holes on the top are where the feet would be on an N64 and you said it was made of heaving metal. Maybe encased somehow and the output and controllers interfaced with the back ports? Are there mounting holes on the bottom too?

The bottom has 4 holes, about the size of screw holes:

IMG20211015232154.jpg.9fcdf7f76370ed0904a35825557fc3f0.jpg

Two of the screw holes align with the holes in the top, whereas the other two do not:

IMG20211015232204.jpg.9b4ecc8de80a1eca220b276f1d511361.jpg

IMG20211015232208.jpg.ac43e54076c0574aed39bc20474aab2c.jpg

There is also a mysterious piece of tape with W 98 written on it! 😲

IMG20211015232215.jpg.28385ef348793ee6b9fec9b2a001302a.jpg

• Like 1

Immediately my brain jumped to the disney ddr game, but that's not right just had to throw it out there. Super interesting find, can't wait to learn what it is haha. Probably dev rather than kiosk because why with the extension cables? Controller testing? Kiosk wouldn't have a dev looking sticker unless that part was hidden.

27 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Sorry to triple post just super excited to see something cool, opty could you show the board/internals?

Yeah I may open it up if I find the time! Definitely not a Disney DDR thing, I already got one of those and it's just a regular dance mat plugs in like normal.

13 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

kiosk or dev, kiosk or dev...the japanese can aswer this question, how much was paid, lol!!!

It was about 40 bucks I think? Cheap enough to just get it on a whim, certainly, without knowing anything about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drxandy said:

I meant development gear for Disney ddr, not retail.

I think it's absolutely dev gear and possibly similar to the joybus

spacer.png

For connecting controllers to sgi Indy computers

Still digging but I wanna see them guttttts

Lol, fine, I'll dig out the Phillips head first thing in the morning! 😉

• Like 1

The more I hunt, the less I am sure. It's mainly because kiosks have 2 controllers and the dev stuff seems to have 4. The pictures of Japanese kiosks I've found online have short cables connected to the system.. maybe a trade show kiosk? I still want it to be dev gear though.

Edited by drxandy

47 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Maybe it converts N64 controller ports into those 4 pin connections at the top. You’d probably have another device that plugs into those pins

Well, what I'm thinking is you plug a computer into those connectors, and then obviously the N64 plugs go into the N64, so you can input signals directly from your computer into the N64... That would make sense if this is indeed some sort of development hardware!

I am a complete novice to these things but by googling data sheets of the components I can read, my guess is this is an A2D converter. So, whatever plugged into this might have took an analog signal and outputted it straight to the controller ports. Makes me wonder if this was used for something like an arcade peripheral, but the N64 connectors are weird. Obviously, the build quality is solid, but why would it be built that sturdy for home use? Was there ever a DDR style game for the N64 in Japan? I don't know. How about a very sturdy arcade joystick or two player combo? Possibly. It's hard to say. Maybe it is dev equipment but I just can't tell and as I said, I'm very much a novice at figuring out electronic circuits and parts, so my assumptions might be incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've been trying to think and Google for the last hour, looking for tradeshows or anything that might have a picture and my dumb brain is going this route:

N64 console sits ontop metal box, the plugs go into whichever ports on the 64, plugs connected to the interface board lets something other than a regular controller interact with the console. Now is it a computer? A different peripheral?

• Agree 1