IGNORED

Resident Evil PS1

3rdStrongestMole

6 minutes ago, CMR said:

I always thought the clunky controls added to the atmosphere.  You got to tap those buttons to get that zombie off of you.

Oh, shit. That's helpful lol. I would have gone through the manual but the game looks like it has literally never been touched so I left the manual in its place 😂

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Welcome to tank controls lol. I actually love the controls in the RE games, though RE1 is obviously the clunkiest of the bunch. You'll get used to it, I'm sure. Suffer through RE1 so you can play RE2, the best game in the series.

Good to know.  I always suffer through games (except Jurrasic Park on genesis which I deemed unplayable)... I'm sure I'll get used to it.

If you have never played an original style RE game before, I totally understand why the controls might seem odd.  For those of use who have played them since day one, the controls feel completely natural.  Many people often forget this, but when playing with the fixed camera angles that RE uses, tank controls make perfect sense.  In fact, the game would be nearly unplayable without tank controls.  

I honestly feel bad for anyone who didn't play the games years ago and has to acclimate to the controls today.  I completely understand if they can't get used to it, but they are missing an amazing game.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guests · Posted
12 hours ago, Gloves said:

Welcome to tank controls lol. I actually love the controls in the RE games, though RE1 is obviously the clunkiest of the bunch. You'll get used to it, I'm sure. Suffer through RE1 so you can play RE2, the best game in the series.

Same here, I don't mind the controls at all. I get used to it rather quickly. I played them as they came out which maybe adds to my acceptance of it. But yeah, classic Resident Evil is so dang good.

Edited by Guest

REmake on Gamecube keeps the controls.

Would agree it's better than the original but the original isn't bad or anything. We're not exactly talking about NES Dragon Warrior 1 here.

Oh, hey, if you're playing RE1 on PS1, is it the original version, the Director's Cut version, or the Director's Cut with Dual Shock? The latter has a different and..."interesting" soundtrack.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

REmake on Gamecube keeps the controls.

Would agree it's better than the original but the original isn't bad or anything. We're not exactly talking about NES Dragon Warrior 1 here.

Oh, hey, if you're playing RE1 on PS1, is it the original version, the Director's Cut version, or the Director's Cut with Dual Shock? The latter has a different and..."interesting" soundtrack.

It's the original version. I really like the feel of the game as far as the... aura? The controls are getting easier, too. Sometimes slipping up on the controls in the tense moments makes it interesting, anyways. 😂

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I can't remember if the GameCube remake changed the controls, but I'd recommend skipping the original and playing that one. It adds new features and enemies that make it even more fun.

I might try that once I pick up a Gamecube down the road... which I've been meaning to do anyways. But this is a game I watched my childhood friend play on PS1 (it was back when your friend wouldn't let you have a turn, even after he died, so I was stuck observing) so I thought I'd go as original as possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I might try that once I pick up a Gamecube down the road... which I've been meaning to do anyways. But this is a game I watched my childhood friend play on PS1 (it was back when your friend wouldn't let you have a turn, even after he died, so I was stuck observing) so I thought I'd go as original as possible. 

Definitely a very cool and revolutionary game, even with the d-pad tank controls. Hope you enjoy it! After playing the original, you'll be blown away by the GC version if you ever do play it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If you have never played an original style RE game before, I totally understand why the controls might seem odd.  For those of use who have played them since day one, the controls feel completely natural.  Many people often forget this, but when playing with the fixed camera angles that RE uses, tank controls make perfect sense.  In fact, the game would be nearly unplayable without tank controls.  

I honestly feel bad for anyone who didn't play the games years ago and has to acclimate to the controls today.  I completely understand if they can't get used to it, but they are missing an amazing game.  

I'm going to power through it for now. The more I think about it, there's another game i played with similar controls but I can't put my finger on it. It's still hard af, but I'm gonna do what I can. I just wish the damned analog stick would work on it, but I guess I need the dual shock version of the game for that to work? Showing my lack of playstation knowledge here. 

17 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I'm going to power through it for now. The more I think about it, there's another game i played with similar controls but I can't put my finger on it. It's still hard af, but I'm gonna do what I can. I just wish the damned analog stick would work on it, but I guess I need the dual shock version of the game for that to work? Showing my lack of playstation knowledge here. 

Yeah, they added the analog controls in for the Dual Shock version. It's crazy to think the console didn't launch with analog controls, but it's true.

Interestingly, in MegaMan Legends 2 when Data (your monkey sidekick) helps suggest which control option to use, he'll ask if you've played MegaMan Legends and if not, have you played Resident Evil?  If you answer yes to the later he'll suggest Type C controls (I'm presuming it's the same kind you'd use in RE).  I wonder if anyone actually did the Type D controls (they are really weird)?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Estil said:

Interestingly, in MegaMan Legends 2 when Data (your monkey sidekick) helps suggest which control option to use, he'll ask if you've played MegaMan Legends and if not, have you played Resident Evil?  If you answer yes to the later he'll suggest Type C controls (I'm presuming it's the same kind you'd use in RE).  I wonder if anyone actually did the Type D controls (they are really weird)?

Oh dang! That's actually a really cool bit of information.

38 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

As @DoctorEncore mentioned, there is a Dual Shock version.  If I were playing that version, I would stick with the D-pad, but that's just me.  At least with that version, you have the option.  Either way, I prefer the Director's Cut version over the original.  

36 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Oh dang! That's actually a really cool bit of information.

Here's the full control type questionaire if you or anyone is interested.  And if no one is interested or cares well, tough frickin' titties I'll post it anyway! 😄 

CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION QUESTIONAIRE:
(with Analog off):
Data: Want my help?
1. You played "MegaMan Legends," right?
[Yes]: Go to Question 2
[No]: Go to Question 4

2. Good!  Were you able to move around with no problem?
[Yes]: Go to Question 3
[No]: I think Type C is best for you--try it out!

3. Do you like using the directional button 
more than the L1/R1 buttons?
[Yes]: I think Type A is best for you--try it out!
[No]: I think Type B is best for you--try it out!

4. I see...Have you played "Resident Evil"?
[Yes]: I think Type C is best for you--try it out!
[No]: Go to Question 5

5. Do you get motion sickness?
[No]: Go to Question 6

6. Do you like to be challenged?
(with Analog off):
[Yes]: I think Type B is best for you--try it out!
(with Analog on):
[Yes]: Go to Question 7

7. You like me, don't you?  Please tell me you like me!
[No]: I think Type D is best for you--try it out!
Edited by Estil

8 minutes ago, Estil said:

Here's the full control type questionaire if you or anyone is interested.  And if no one is interested or cares well, tough frickin' titties I'll post it anyway! 😄 

CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION QUESTIONAIRE:
(with Analog off):
Data: Want my help?
1. You played "MegaMan Legends," right?
[Yes]: Go to Question 2
[No]: Go to Question 4

2. Good!  Were you able to move around with no problem?
[Yes]: Go to Question 3

3. Do you like using the directional button 
more than the L1/R1 buttons?
[No]: I think Type B is best for you--try it out!

4. I see...Have you played "Resident Evil"?
[Yes]: I think Type C is best for you--try it out!
[No]: Go to Question 5

5. Do you get motion sickness?
[No]: Go to Question 6

6. Do you like to be challenged?
(with Analog off):
(with Analog on):
[Yes]: Go to Question 7

7. You like me, don't you?  Please tell me you like me!
[No]: I think Type D is best for you--try it out!

Lolol it's almost like they just threw in type D as an f-u at the end

21 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Lolol it's almost like they just threw in type D as an f-u at the end

I think so too; I wouldn't be surprised if someone oh, I dunno did a YT video/challenge of going through hard or very hard mode on Type D.

And in the first Legends game, Data helps you out by getting you a Range Booster Alpha (Mega Buster part) and says "Am I a good boy or what?"  You better say yes or he'll take it away from you!! 😮 

Edited by Estil

33 minutes ago, Estil said:

I think so too; I wouldn't be surprised if someone oh, I dunno did a YT video/challenge of going through hard or very hard mode on Type D.

And in the first Legends game, Data helps you out by getting you a Range Booster Alpha (Mega Buster part) and says "Am I a good boy or what?"  You better say yes or he'll take it away from you!! 😮 

Holy shit 😂😂 I never put any time into those Legends games, but I like decisions being meaningful in video games. There are so many great games that miss out on opportunities to punish players for poor decision making.