IGNORED

What 'set(s)' do you collect? Console, dev team, publisher etc.

Nintegageo

5 minutes ago, croagunk said:

It’s a small set, but I’m collecting the Hamtaro games. I just need the DS one. Haven’t been able to find it locally, so I may have to order it online.

I'd been wanting Ham-Hams Unite for years, finally caved and bought a copy online but end up paying around $30. Now I just need to find time to actually play it...

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

I have a full CIB NES set except for SE and a couple of the big unlicensed. I have a full CIB SNES set except for a Super Copa box. I have a full CIB N64 set and a full GameCube CIB set (need 2 variants).

For Paper- I have a full Nintendo Power and Fun Club News set. I’m nearing on a full Gamepro set, pretty close to a full Game Informer set through the N64 era. Just need a couple NES hint books and 1 SNES hint guide for complete sets.  

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DarkKobold said:

Does anyone else feel like posting in this thread can be a "Come and rob me" kinda thing? Internet personas aren't that hard to track down...

That German streamer MontanaBlack got robbed recently I think, as did Trade 'n Games but both times those were high profile graded game targets. A sealed Punch Out is worth about the same as every single CIB Sega console game ever made put together these days, so it probably makes more sense to plan your Ocean's 11 heist around something that doesn't require a U-Haul and moving crew.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

@DarkKobold honestly, by that logic no one should talk their hobby online, post Instagram, even have a VGS account, et cetera. What's the point having a passion if you can't just talk with people who share that passion?

I guess that's my answer haha 🙂nope am not.

I mean, I have a pretty decent collection. However, I don't feel the need to post it on instagram or FB. I think a lot of people would argue that the "worst" people in the hobby (outside the WATA investor class) are the people who only buy things for the 'gram. My friends who own a video game store say that they have a class of customers that will buy something, post it to instagram, and sell it back to the store a month later.

Anyway, my point is, I feel like I can discuss this hobby and engage with fellow collectors just fine, without outlining exactly how big of a UHaul to bring when I'm out of town.

• Like 1

I mean did I post that I have a large collection? Yea, but also I post to Instagram and have my collection listed on RFGen and elsewhere. If I was paranoid or worried I obviously wouldn't be doing that. I have a pretty good security system as well as itemized personal property insurance so... I guess you can just take the precautions and hope for the best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doner24 said:

For Paper- I have a full Nintendo Power and Fun Club News set. I’m nearing on a full Gamepro set, pretty close to a full Game Informer set through the N64 era. Just need a couple NES hint books and 1 SNES hint guide for complete sets.  

Forgot about magazines. I have a full NP set. Only a few Fun Club Newsletters though. I have the first 50 issues of Tips & Tricks, and a ton of early GamePro and EGMs. Also a lot of strategy guides, books etc,  but there's no rhyme or reason to it, I just pick up whatever I see thats cool.

• Like 1

I currently have every officially licensed North American NES game except Stadium Events, and every unlicensed North American NES game except Myriad 6-in-1, Bubble Bath Babes, and Cheetahmen 2......this "set" was the old school definition of full North American retail NES set that I've been chasing forever.  In recent times people have started cutting out unlicensed entirely.  Although I do like the tidiness of that idea I don't necessarily agree with it, but maybe it's just because I come from the days of the Mike Etler list.

In addition to the licensed North American games I went ahead and acquired every licensed PAL exclusive game that wasn't released in the States as well.

I would like to get the Hong Kong exclusive Mah Jong cart and a copy of Stadium Events some day, in some form, to have one of every officially licensed game despite region...over time this has been what I've kind of focused on but I still have love for all my loose unlicensed crap that just sits around on shelves (except for Tengen, I play the hell out of all those ones...and Micro Machines by Camerica).

Every other system I just collect games I like and actually play......what a wild concept!

EDIT: I also collected every issue of Nintendo Power stemming from 1 to 63 (I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure 63 was my cutoff...because it was the last issue to have any NES coverage).

I also have every Sega Visions magazine because why not.

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

That German streamer MontanaBlack got robbed recently I think, as did Trade 'n Games but both times those were high profile graded game targets. A sealed Punch Out is worth about the same as every single CIB Sega console game ever made put together these days, so it probably makes more sense to plan your Ocean's 11 heist around something that doesn't require a U-Haul and moving crew.

This is legitimately my nightmare, lol. The number of times I've woken up with all of my games missing, just to wake up (for real), and everything is fine is.... probably not healthy. I haven't had the nightmare since I got a decent alarm system. So I have that going for me.

Also, my question wasn't to admonish people, but to see how everyone else felt about it. There are definitely way better collections out there, that deserve an Ocean's 11 level heist more than mine.

However, seeing that MontanaBlack had an entire security system, and all it did was record the person stealing the games definitely gives me less confidence.

Edited by DarkKobold

5 hours ago, Alder said:

I'd been wanting Ham-Hams Unite for years, finally caved and bought a copy online but end up paying around $30. Now I just need to find time to actually play it...

That’s a great one! Luckily I had that one and Ham-Ham Heartbreak since childhood. I’ve only had to pay up a bit more than I’d like to import Rainbow Rescue. I really enjoyed that one. It’s a shame they canceled the North American release.

4 hours ago, DarkKobold said:

This is legitimately my nightmare, lol. The number of times I've woken up with all of my games missing, just to wake up again, and everything is fine is.... probably not healthy. I haven't had the nightmare since I got a decent alarm system. So I have that going for me.

Also, my question wasn't to admonish people, but to see how everyone else felt about it. There are definitely way better collections out there, that deserve an Ocean's 11 level heist more than mine.

However, seeing that MontanaBlack had an entire security system, and all it did was record the person stealing the games definitely gives me less confidence.

Get a dog...mine would bite the cock off of any intruder.

• Wow! 1

My goal is a complete NES set, although I've also kinda accepted that I'll never have one. I just mainly just pick up whatever games I find that seem interesting or are ones that I know are rare. For smaller sets, I want to get a complete set of black box games and every Namco NES game. While these have a couple rare games, they're much more reasonable than a full set.

Other than that, I don't bother with complete sets. I just get only the games I want for other consoles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Sad state of collecting when so many have the urge for a full set but feel like they can't complete it because of the ridiculously inflated prices. 😞

Agreed.  I've felt that way for a decade now.  Before the NES scamming started late into 2011 and truly took off in 2012 I had been racking up heaps of games weekly at the flea market and a few online too because it was cheap and they were CIBs with no up charge.  I got over 330 NES games, then the shit hit the fan and I knew there would be no fixing it.  That's when I gave up and went into damage control and surfing the wave of greedy stupidity.

I made stack A and stack B right then and there.  The big stack B started out with, I put more time into cleaning/testing than caring/playing and it inflated more as I thought more.  A was stuff I always owned or got back from a loss a few years before that.  I let the idiots with their raging FOMO hardon going pay for me to jump towards the SNES and pop off stuff before that got idiotic, a few I just beat the bad behavior by like literally 2-4 weeks tops getting some $50 pick ups that went to $150-200 weeks later-- it was nauseating.  From there when that started going sour beyond just the really obscure stuff, I did the same one and went over to N64, Gamecube, some sega and sony stuff always riding the wave before the inevitable pricing wipeout.  After that I just got pissed off and annoyed at investors and scaredy cat a-holes who fed the beast without any thought or cares and broke my old promise to myself not to invest in flash kits.  It solved the problem, don't feed a shark, play on hardware and let them lose their collective asses. 🙂

I consider myself I got lucky, tactical, and capable of upgrade repairs on Virtual Boy in 2019 and got the entire set for the US for as cheap as I did.  Had I tried that 9mo later (march 2020) it would have been a lost cause too.

It is sad, pathetic and sad.  I just hope we're around to point fingers and laugh when this implodes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I mean did I post that I have a large collection? Yea, but also I post to Instagram and have my collection listed on RFGen and elsewhere. If I was paranoid or worried I obviously wouldn't be doing that. I have a pretty good security system as well as itemized personal property insurance so... I guess you can just take the precautions and hope for the best.

God damn your insta is fun to look at. You have a new follower.

• Like 1