IGNORED

What 'set(s)' do you collect? Console, dev team, publisher etc.

Nintegageo

i've got 14/14 NA Virtual Boy games (loose) plus a CIB Hyper Fighting

i've got 31/31 NA Sega 32x games (loose) plus a Darxide repro

but mainly i focus on first party, non-sports, non-party Nintendo games. not the most glamorous set, but i enjoy having all the Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc. games. Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Yoshi still in progress, but i'm in no hurry. Undecided on Wario.

i also get sidetracked a lot.

• Like 2

Finished N64 and then NES loose. Going for SNES now. Like @twiztor I get sidetracked occasionally. I only need 2 more to complete the Virtual Boy loose set but one is Jack Bros and after completing the NES loose I’m done dumping a ton of money on one game for awhile. It’s nice to be back to not needing rare games and spending $50 and getting 10-15 games out of it. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

I finally achieved a full N64 set this year!  I also started getting some cib gameboy games within the last week.  I collect NES/SNES cib/carts, really want cib of both, but $$ ya know 😉  Settled on some carts for now.  I did however find someone willing to work with me on a very nice copy of Hurricanes CIB for the snes so there is that, and the ISS for SNES I don't think I will ever get cib as I didn't really wanna spend the money for the cart only I got, but it was the nicest I found in the months I was searching.

• Like 2

Sets are too painful, yet I sit on a Virtual Boy one that's 14/14 for US, plus a boot of the proto Bound High, Hyper Fighting (game only), then JP V-Tetris too.  I'd like to add Space Squash, and lots of other goodies the VB had for it too in the US.

Beyond that, sets by chance, not by choice really exist with what I have.  Like having all the Mario, Megaman, Castlevania, etc style games for NES, Gameboy, SNES, etc sticking with a franchise for the life of the hardware maker.

Never made sense to really double down and go all out owning 300~N64 games or 1000s of something else just to have it sit and rot.

• Like 2

Set fillers are so expensive right now. $350 for Frankenstein: The Monster Returns just to check the box, jeez. I pick at the Atari and Activision sets and one day might go after PS1 or PS2 but money and spacewise sets are a bad value for me compared to individual wants right now, and I love sets.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Set fillers are so expensive right now. $350 for Frankenstein: The Monster Returns just to check the box, jeez. I pick at the Atari and Activision sets and one day might go after PS1 or PS2 but money and spacewise sets are a bad value for me compared to individual wants right now, and I love sets.

You SURE I can't interest you in a Japanese N64 full set? 😛

• Sad 1

Well I go for CIB European sets with Australian exclusives on certain platforms and usually try to go for a version with English text on box/covers if it exists (I won't claim to necessarily truly have full sets or be close to them as there could be weird imports and games that I don't know of). Here are the CIB sets that I have or plan on finishing (for European with Australian exclusives) in random order:

• Mega Drive - 5 games missing
  • Super Nintendo - full set (well without Starwing Competition manual and certificate)
  • Game Boy - box full set with couple of manuals and one cart missing (half-ish of SCN set)
  • Neo Geo Pocket - 1 game missing
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color - 1 game missing
  • Pokémon Mini - 1 game missing
  • N-Gage - full set with mostly German copies cause I got them for cheap
  • 3DS - missing over 100 games but I'll get there
  • Master System - 75 games missing
  • Vita - missing 90 games (I'll also own Limited Run Games Vita full set when Super Meat Boy is fulfilled, although one game is from eBay, so I guess I won't be getting Revenge of the Bird King 🥲, not exactly sure how strict LRG is about that bonus game though, so fingers crossed)

On most other platforms I've tried to pick out the interesting games from the mix and not likely to go for any "full" sets.

As for series... oh boy. I collect so damn many series but I'm rarely caught up with all games in any one series. I still consider series collecting as one of the most fun and rewarding aspects of game collecting. I even like variant collecting for some specific series or specific releases but am not so balls to the wall about it generally.

• Like 1

I only collect for cart based systems.

Ones I already achieved; N64, 32x, Sega Master System

Ones Im still going for;

NES (I had 676/677 at one point but needed money for college so back down to 620ish)

SNES/Genesis

Jaguar (Ive only needed 2 more for that for years now, should get on that) 

Colecovision/Intellivision/Atari 2600, 5200, 7800

Switch

Im never really going strong for any one of them at this point if I see something I dont have I just grab it in occasion.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

Attempting full US sets for:

NES (7 remaining: Samson, SE, 3 Panesians, Myriad, & Cheetamen II, about half are CIB)
SNES (1 remaining, Exertainment Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer combo, about half are CIB)
Game Boy (not color) (Cart only set is complete, not crazy enough to actively collect the cardboard)
N64 (All carts collected, need 2 boxes and 2 manuals for a full CIB set, Stunt Racer & Sculptor's Cut. Also have almost all US variants CIB)
Wii U (Mainly because it was so easy, I think two have come out since I "completed" it, I need a Just Dance game and Axiom Verge or something)
Virtual Boy (13/14 loose, just need Jack Bros)
Sega Master System (Have all carts/cards in box, just need about 10 manuals)
Sega Genesis (Only buying in box, need about 120 more)
Sega PICO (I only need 12 more)
Sega Game Gear (Cart only set is complete, not going after those boxes)
Sega Saturn (All CIB, need about 38 more)
Sega Dreamcast (All CIB, need about 120 more)
Atari Lynx (Was mostly just by happenstance, I only need 8 more now)

I also collect every TMNT game. I have almost all of them CIB. I need the Radical Rescue box, and some imports and maybe a few odd C64, Amiga, or PC games.

I'm considering fullsets for:

Game Boy Color (I have 220 or so)
Game Boy Advance (I only have around 120 so I doubt I go after this set)
Gamecube (Have around 350 already, but it's getting harder to find any I don't have wild)
Sega 32X (I only need 17 more, but they are all pricy)
Sega CD (To be honest it's a little daunting and I still need around 100)
TurboGrafx 16 (I need about 80 more but it seems daunting)

But I do actively collect for the above mentioned possible fullsets as well as any games that interest me on Wii, DS, 3DS, Switch, Famicom/SFC/Disk system,  Playstation 1 & 2, any Xbox consoles, Atari consoles, other old school stuff like Odyssey, Intellevision etc, Weird CD based consoles from the 90s like 3DO and CD-i, standalone handhelds especially Tiger handhelds, and big box PC games. Oh and Neo Geo Pocket Color. 

As well as memorabilia, toys, and anything else that interests me really.

EDIT: Should add that I actively seek boxes and manuals to complete my NES and SNES games. I'll grab boxes for other loose games I have too when I see them and the price is right but I'm not about to start actively hunting Game Boy boxes, lol.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 4

How do you guys get the majority of your collection? I have a hard time finding lots on ebay anymore, and it always seemed like a waste to pay shipping on every single game. I've been slowly gaining games across all platforms for the last ~10 years, only selling duplicates. I'm at around 3700 games so far, almost all local, but no sets are close to being complete.

I've been pretty opportunistic since I haven't felt justified in spending too much. Having said that, the sets I'd most like to focus on are NES (minus SE) and GBC, cart-only. I'm a little over halfway for both. I'd like to eventually do GBA cart-only as well, I'm around 350 right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

For NES? I have a sealed copy I got from eBay for $200. A long time ago but I didn't think it went up that much. There were 2 copies listed when I checked, both at $200 and similar condition, I should have bought both.

41 minutes ago, Alder said:

How do you guys get the majority of your collection? I have a hard time finding lots on ebay anymore, and it always seemed like a waste to pay shipping on every single game. I've been slowly gaining games across all platforms for the last ~10 years, only selling duplicates. I'm at around 3700 games so far, almost all local, but no sets are close to being complete.

Used to be locally. Now every local store has nothing I need, and when they do get something I might need, they usually reach out and lmk. 

So now it's the 'Bay with the occasional VGS or Instagram deal.

Administrator · Posted

I used to say I was a never a set collector - and I suppose that is still true regarding consoles, but I collect other types of 'sets.'  With the exception of Atlus games, I'd wager most of my sets are somewhat uncommon to what most people around here are after.  I've been collecting the items below:

1.  Atlus games - developer, publisher, etc.  I have several hundred games but still many more to go.

2.  PlayStation 2 US Trade demos.  I finally completed this set within the last year or two!  42 of them are known at this point. 

3.  Japanese PlayStation 1 demos/taikenbans/nfs discs/etc.  I have ~500 of them at this point and still have a couple hundred to go. 

4.  Japanese PlayStation 2 demos/taikenbans/nfs discs/etc.  I have ~400 of them and estimate about 100ish needed

And then I have some other sets I'm loosely going after, just not quite as hardcore:

* PS2 US demos (have about 300+)
* PSP US and Japan demos
* Xbox Japan demos/nfs discs/special items (have a few dozen of these)
* Other Asian / Non-US region NFS discs - Korea, Asia, Taiwan, etc
* Japanese promotional DVD-Video discs for advertising / promoting video games.  I have a few hundred of these - still in the process of cataloguing so I'm not sure the exact count.

At some point within the last year or two I crossed a threshold of having over 1,000 japanese region PlayStation demos across the various PS systems - there are way more of these than most people realize ha!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

For NES? I have a sealed copy I got from eBay for $200. A long time ago but I didn't think it went up that much. There were 2 copies listed when I checked, both at $200 and similar condition, I should have bought both.

There's not even a copy to buy if you wanted to spend $350 on one right now. You can spend $1000 for the only CIB available though, a deal!

1 hour ago, Alder said:

One at a time baby. I haven't really bought lots since I was collecting NES carts over a decade ago and I've only become pickier with time. It's tough to find a lot that has all stuff I want right now, is all in nice shape, as complete as I want it, and is selling for enough of a discount.

I'm only going for 1 full set and that's Atari Lynx, 35/71 games thus far

For most other systems I have a curated list of games I want. These systems are

3DO (almost done)
Wii (Almost done)
DS
3DS
NES (looking to own about 60-70 CIBs, mostly the black box set and a bunch of Capcom and Konami)
SNES (looking to own about 10-15 CIBs)

Looking to own every NA release of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms II (missing Amiga, Genesis and I'd like the 3.5" floppies of the DOS version)

• Like 1