IGNORED

A good game is one that sucks you in whilst testing it

fcgamer

You know the routine. You got a set of games in the mail or at the shop or wherever, maybe you're even just testing it before sending it out in a trade or for an online sale.

Then something happens. You get sucked into the game, and what should have been a thirty-second play suddenly turned into you trying to complete the game.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

For me, it's currently happening with Kick Challenger: Air Foot. Never played it before, yet I'm really enjoying the oddness of it.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to A good game is one that sucks you in whilst testing it

I ran into quite a few of these when building out my NES Collection. Some that immediately come to mind:

• Adventures of Lolo
  • Arkista's Ring
  • Krion Conquest

I lost many hours playing games that were new to me. The NES has so many underappreciated games. Hopefully I'll actually get back to cleaning and testing and can add some more SMS and 32X games to this list.

• Like 1

I ran into that experience almost weekly when I was flea market shopping out west before moving back here so between 2010-2012 as I came home with all sorts of stuff I'd find, or bundles I'd pick up.  You're cleaning one by one, testing one by one...damn...crap I just played that for a half hour and all 'that' needs to be dealt with still.

Those tend to be the few you hold onto when you start to part with far more.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I love getting drawn-in unexpectedly to a game when I test it, but for whatever reason I rarely find myself revisiting those games.

I remember getting Pipe Dream [NES] for Christmas one year and being completely immersed in it while testing. I've barely played it since then (despite how much fun I had with that initial impression), but I can appreciate the "single-serving" novelty of games in those situations.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Donkey Kong for the GB. I was never much of an OG Donkey Kong fan. On a field trip, I borrowed my friends copy and two weeks later, I returned it after 100%ing it. It was a fantastic game.

Also, while going for a complete GB set, I popped in Trax to to test it. I opened it during work hours and, oops, 30 minutes later I had to cut it off to get back to work. 

Xenon 2 is short but also a pretty good space shooter for the ole piss-green screen too. Worth checking out.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 5:37 AM, fcgamer said:

You know the routine. You got a set of games in the mail or at the shop or wherever, maybe you're even just testing it before sending it out in a trade or for an online sale.

Then something happens. You get sucked into the game, and what should have been a thirty-second play suddenly turned into you trying to complete the game.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

For me, it's currently happening with Kick Challenger: Air Foot. Never played it before, yet I'm really enjoying the oddness of it.

Sort of...Dragon Quest 11 is one game that most definetly was a "can't hardly put it down" kind of game, and for someone like me who bounces around doing different things like my newspaper archive, gaming, YouTube videos, and so on, that's a fairly rare thing!  I don't know if it's my Asperger's of what but it's hard for me to stay on one task for very long.  That is, I can't do like other gamers and say on one game for hours at a time (usually)...I like/tend to bounce/rotate around my different activities. 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Super Mario World was the first one for me. I first played it on vacation when the condo we were in had a brand new SNES set up. I played that game the entire week we were there. Even when I wasn't playing, I was thinking about playing. 

Diablo II was the next one. That was the first game I would be playing randomly and be completely unaware that I had spent the entire night playing. That was a hard addiction to break and took over a couple years of college.

Pokemon Go is the current one. The game is dumb and incredibly flawed, but it's simple and the grind is addictive. The collecting aspect definitely scratches a familiar itch. And it's fun when you run into people randomly that are already familiar with your trainer name.  

• Like 1

Strangely enough, FIFA 13 on the WiiU.  Not a soccer fan in the least, but instead of testing it for a few minutes I'd end up playing an entire match each time.

That turned out to be a good thing, because one of them froze up with a disc read error halfway through a match that I wouldn't have caught under my regular test scenarios.

• Like 1