IGNORED

Restarted my collection. Never again!!

Hey all,

Im back probably for good this time. Unless something tragic happens there is no way im selling my collection again. Here's a short intro as well...

Our family bonded over video games when we were younger and those were some of the best times we had growing up

I unfortunately had to sell my collection back in the day when I welcomed my new son into the world. We had No room for it and I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with not a lot of money to go around. Video game prices were just starting to spike, but with my limited time sold it off for fast cash to an interested party at a fraction of the value. 

Fast forward to now where I have to start from ground zero and it's been rough finding anything. What I've found so far I've had to work really hard to get and snag deals as fast as I could. I got a lucky trade which netted me most of the collection I have now. It's been dead lately but I'll continue to look whenever I can. 

I'll include a photo of what I have after about a month of really hard work. More importantly it's been amazing to re experience some of these games with my now six year old son. 🙂

So far I have the following consoles.

Xbox

SNES

N64

Wii

I've always owned a switch since launch and love it as well! 

I hope everyone is doing good today. And happy hunting!

Here is what I have so far. Hooray to restarting for good....

20210823_205820.jpg.0853e168899cd0c45b93ea6f2d8c4d94.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Any favorites you're trying to grab first? Or do you have a favorite console you're targeting?

Mainly targeting snes and n64. i'm starting to dabble in Wii as that stuff is pretty cheap to pick up right now. would love to get my hands on super mario rpg SNES. will probably be posting trades soon i have some duplicates and other items i need to clear out from the lots i picked up. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
23 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Welcome!

Good luck on rebuilding your collection. If you ever feel like you're not making progress, just remember this Japanese proverb.

ちりも積もれば山となる (Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru)

If enough dust accumulates, it becomes a mountain.

Crap, I need to dust my shelves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My advice to people getting into the hobby, or back in, just remember that it's not a race. Sure, prices go up but that doesn't mean the house is on fire. You can get good deals on ebay (20-30% off retail) pretty regularly if you sign up for alerts and wait for auctions. 

There's nothing wrong with having a refined collection. It's more important that your collection is a reflection of your gaming interests. Otherwise, who are you collecting for?

• Like 2

With how bad things are now, and you wanting to have the real deal and not some flash kit or half baked emulator box of some sort, the only quality advice I can give you haven't said already about bundle deals... treat it like you're a kid.

Seriously.

What do kids do to get games?  What effort do kids put into games?  How long will a kid stick with a game?

Think of that for a moment.  What do kids do to get their games?  Chores, and get well under minimum wage for it (and aside from that christmas/b'day)  And that effort is a lot of work for it, so, do something to earn your games outside of just your house budget.  And how long would a kid stick to it?...month to months as that's all the time they'd had between the next.

You'll be happier not getting ripped off hard, and at the same time having heaps of time to really dig into, play, enjoy, and dig further into enjoying and not just eventually finishing but mastering the game which few do anymore these days with insta-click free to play crap and dollar touch games.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You'll be happier not getting ripped off hard, and at the same time having heaps of time to really dig into, play, enjoy, and dig further into enjoying and not just eventually finishing but mastering the game which few do anymore these days with insta-click free to play crap and dollar touch games.

Very wise advice i'm really enjoying the games i have now with my kid and am always out looking for deals. i try to never spend full price on a game and am constantly looking for deals. Most importantly though i'm enjoying the games that i have. i'm not the collector who will go out and buy a bunch of games and never play them. I really enjoy games and the comfort they bring. my kid is very happy with what we have and we are constantly playing. every night we dig into a new game and just play because its hella fun! 

• Like 2

Good move.  I'm lightening the load here too, consistently and still at it.  Hard habit to break really, so trying to add little offload more because having stuff just sit isn't good if it isn't sold old owned goodies you kept as you had it all along.

I mean if things don't improve there are flash kits, but that kind of sucks because you have no value into the games, so the will to bother is minimal with no investment.