IGNORED

Smashed game in mail

Knud

Ok so I bought from ebay sealed Mega man game and it was packed in a simple bubble mailer and it came absolutely smashed, what do you recommend I do about it? I am just really surprised by this, bought from a seller that has hundreds of feedback, 100% positive

D390356A-C9B2-4BA7-8426-871517495A41.jpeg

DDABB22B-E16F-4104-9ACF-4BF7BFD7D3BC.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I had a complete NES game shipped to me in a sturdy cardboard box.

When I received it, it looked like the box got ran over by a vehicle. I'm sure it was USPS's fault.

Worse, the game box and cart were extremely damaged. I told the seller about it and he offered me a partial refund for the damage.

Might be worth asking for a partial refund if you can live with the damage on the game.

• Disagree 1

I started a return and got the following answer from the seller: The game was also protect by two layers of paper bubble, anyway it was written in the description that the box was damaged, I m sorry if you didn’t read it … I can’t do anything for you

On the listing it had a small corner damage which was all right, but it was not wrecked

• Wow! 1

Happened a little too often for me 😞 

Usually I don't bother. It's technically the seller's responsibility, but some times it's not really their fault either, and I can't be bothered to take up the fight.
If you can, though, you should make an inquiry about it with your photo evidence.

12 minutes ago, Knud said:

I started a return and got the following answer from the seller: The game was also protect by two layers of paper bubble, anyway it was written in the description that the box was damaged, I m sorry if you didn’t read it … I can’t do anything for you

On the listing it had a small corner damage which was all right, but it was not wrecked

Okay that's just bs.

"two layers of paper bubble", wth is that gonna do? You need a sturdy cardboard box to protext a fragile box like that. You can't sell stuff like this and not be aware of that. 100% seller's fault.

Also if there are pictures on the listing, and the item you got is way more damaged than the pictures showed, then you didn't get the item you paid for.

Don't give up on this one, seller sounds like a jerk.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Okay that's just bs.

"two layers of paper pubble", wth is that gonna do? You need a sturdy cardboard box to protext a fragile box like that. You can't sell stuff like this and not be aware of that. 100% seller's fault.

Also if there are pictures on the listing, and the item you got is way more damaged than the pictures showed, then you didn't get the item you paid for.

Don't give up on this one, seller sounds like a jerk.

I wont give up, never found a paper bubble nor could i find it. But yes ok there was a single extra layer of bubble wrap on each side, but that does not protect anything. 
There is evidence in the listing of it before it was shipped. 

If you want someone to give you an accurate answer then you need to post the listing. This way people can actually see what the listing ssid and it's not just your word. I'm not saying you are lying, but it's best to work with the facts. Some listings may do shady stuff to hide damage.

If things are as you say they are, then open up a return with eBay and post your pictures and file it as "Item not as described" and call it a day.

I don't buy complete games often, but I would suggest if you do then ask the seller to ship in a sturdy box to avoid damage in transit. Accidents can happen, but sending a game with little to no effort packing the game properly is a recipe for disaster.

• Agree 1

Looking carefully at the photos in the listing your provided, it looks like additional squishing might have occurred to the bottom of the box, but that stuff on the left side appears to have mostly been there beforehand.  If you thought it was only a ding on the one corner and nothing else, the original images show something else, but the postal service did the rest of the job on the additional damage after the seller sent it packed poorly.  Regardless of what the seller says, so long as you escalate your case and let eBay make the call, you'll most likely get a return decided in your favor at the end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Knud said:

eBay should side with you regardless

• Like 2

If you can't deal with it, return it, there's no clear way to lose.

He admitted to not using a box
He admitted to using 2 sheets of bubble paper? (Didn't know bubbles and paper were hard sided/squeeze proof)
He even said it had some damage in the picture, which it does.

Picture on the listing front and back show the top/bottom seemingly fine, mostly just the left side bulged out from being squeezed at some rate.  He'll lose, end of story, as long as you explain it well.  Hell use my list, it's pretty damning as a list of reasons to not worm out of as it points out every error in his argument and listing.

EDIT: One more thing, just noticed it.  Maybe it's the angle?  The back of the box image is pretty straight on, all 4 sides look flat and tight.  The front shows, especially lower left, how popped out from the squish the box is.  Why would this not show on the other side unless he (a) had 2 copies or (b) took the image at different times and hoped no one would notice?

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

Btw, you can get GBA boxes looking quite nicely if you take out everything inside , fold it neatly flat, and put it under a heavy flat surface (anything completely flat with just a bunch of heavy books or whatever on top) for a a few days or even weeks.
I've had more than a few GBA boxes squished in the mail (and a lot which were sealed, too), and they came out not perfect but definitely a lot better off than they were when I got them

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 3

It is quite dubious, but yes i noticed some damage which i was fine with. But this was a bit over the top just getting it in this state + the seller denying any part of it. If people would be nice and sorry about it i would have just dropped it. But when this arrogant french guy just behaves this way i will not just leave it be.

I can probably get it in decent shape by folding it and putting some big books on top. His behaviour draws it out a part of me that just wants to just throw it back in the envelope with the super protective paper plastic and ship it back, if ebay sides with me which they usually do.

Thanks for the input guys

Not all sellers are proficient or collectors. Some don't realize how rough the shipping carriers can be when transporting precious merchandise. This is why I insert reminders. Like, "Hi. Please package carefully to prevent shipping damage. Shipping carriers can be rough with my mail. Thank you." More than often, I'll get a reply from a seller letting me know he/she will do that. Though if any arrives not exactly shown in the listing photos. Then I'll message the seller first and if he/she doesn't reply back in a timely matter. I'll open a return case. 

Yeah...Classic eBay...If it is a game I'm planning on playing/low dollar value, I usually just take it...figure it isn't worth the hassle to fight the seller.  When I do fight, I would say about 60% of the time, sellers accept the return without much push back...but that other 40%...ugh - "Not my fault - your problem is with the Post Office." "That's not what it looked like when I packed it up - You're trying to scam me!" and "What is your problem? The game still plays, right?" are the top 3 responses...Ebay lets me win 100% of the time tho - there is a line in the seller's agreement (or whatever) that says it is the seller's responsibility to make sure the item arrives undamaged, so yeah - buyer always wins...For a fun show and tell: About 3 weeks ago I bought "Bouncers" for Sega CD off eBay and I also bought "Snatcher" (for the uninitiated, Bouncers is <$40, Snatcher is >$1,000) and a week later, I received two packages in the mail, one smashed completely flat, the other in good shape...I opened up the smashed one and...

Spoiler

297657391_IMG_11141.thumb.JPG.aaae1b4c0aaa04b175a26356a317c8e7.JPG1950390938_IMG_11151.thumb.JPG.f86ebced7e39d913ffbff6290d0f086f.JPG531618737_IMG_11161.JPG.8850b8328908563424464c055b235bc0.JPG216095234_IMG_11171.JPG.3dccd9bb14fececc91aa5327b92489d3.JPG

Seller fought me for a bit ("Your problem is with the Post Office"), but ended up refunding without much hassle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1