IGNORED

Music Debate #112: BTS

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Reminiscent of @Bearcat-Doug loving Britney Spears but being nonplussed by Dua Lipa.  Is that because these artists are truly worlds apart, or because we're now a bunch of (mostly) middle-aged white guys?

I like Halsey, but she hasn't come up in one of these yet.

Just now, Gloves said:

Sure, but then what is the difference here? Have you listened to BTS' entire catalogue? Maybe there's some gold in there; gotta turn off your eyes and listen with this stuff IMO. Maybe there's something catchy in there, I dunno, haven't sat and listened.

It's certainly possible, but at this point in my life, I don't have the desire or need to spend lots of time searching for new music that I like.  I drove to Florida last month, which is a 13 hour drive each way.  I listened to a playlist of music that I setup myself.  I never skipped a song or heard the same song twice the entire trip.  There already exists enough music for me to listen to and enjoy for the rest of my life (with a HUGE range of styles and genres).  Taking several hours to listen to the entire catalog of a new group that has a 99% chance of having no music I would enjoy anyway just isn't time well spent for me.  If that means I'm getting old, no problem there. Getting older has never bothered me.  

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

She's in one of the BTS songs linked 😅

Which just proves that they can ruin anything. Even Halsey can make mistakes. 😂 I'd likely give a high vote to Taylor Swift or Kelsea Ballerini if they came up. Hayley Williams of Paramore and Lzzy Hale of Halestorm are awesome too. Avril Lavigne would be a sure 10. I'm just not into Dua Lipa. 

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

It's certainly possible, but at this point in my life, I don't have the desire or need to spend lots of time searching for new music that I like.  I drove to Florida last month, which is a 13 hour drive each way.  I listened to a playlist of music that I setup myself.  I never skipped a song or heard the same song twice the entire trip.  There already exists enough music for me to listen to and enjoy for the rest of my life (with a HUGE range of styles and genres).  Taking several hours to listen to the entire catalog of a new group that has a 99% chance of having no music I would enjoy anyway just isn't time well spent for me.  If that means I'm getting old, no problem there. Getting older has never bothered me.  

This is certainly a common human experience.  Your parents gravitated to the music they grew up with.  Same for your grandparents.

Hell, we're on a forum dedicated to the games from our childhoods.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

What I've managed to suffer through already shouldn't even be called music. I'd rather listen to a mash up of a screech owl and someone scratching on a chalkboard.

And my parents will have said precisely the same thing about the Backstreet Boys, old man.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Which just proves that they can ruin anything. Even Halsey can make mistakes. 😂 I'd likely give a high vote to Taylor Swift or Kelsea Ballerini if they came up. Hayley Williams of Paramore and Lzzy Hale of Halestorm are awesome too. Avril Lavigne would be a sure 10. I'm just not into Dua Lipa. 

I'm not attacking your taste; we all have our own personal preferences.  It can just be an interesting exercise to examine our own (often inconsistent) methodologies and patterns.  For example, I do not especially care for Guns n Roses and ACDC even though I dig the Scorpions and Van Halen.  Understanding those feelings would be an interesting exercise.

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm not attacking your taste; we all have our own personal preferences.  It can just be an interesting exercise to examine our own (often inconsistent) methodologies and patterns.  For example, I do not especially care for Guns n Roses and ACDC even though I dig the Scorpions and Van Halen.  Understanding those feelings would be an interesting exercise.

Good point on AC/DC. I've never really cared for them either and I love bands like GnR, Black Sabbath, Metallica, etc.

31 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

yeah, at this point the vast majority of what I listened to is bands that I already loved before 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

What I've managed to suffer through already shouldn't even be called music. I'd rather listen to a mash up of a screech owl and someone scratching on a chalkboard.

59 minutes ago, Gloves said:

And my parents will have said precisely the same thing about the Backstreet Boys, old man.

I cant relate here, my parents loved the music I listen(ed) to….that being said I listen to classic rock and hair metal and my parents graduated high school in the mid to late 80’s soooooo

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I cant relate here, my parents loved the music I listen(ed) to….that being said I listen to classic rock and hair metal and my parents graduated high school in the mid to late 80’s soooooo

I like classic rock too, but my parents never seemed to listen to much beyond what was the popular music when they were young. I listen to a bit of everything old and new.

Ultra pop... not my thing at all but there is worse stuff out there. I don't see this as any different from boy bands from the past or any other overly manicured/manufactured music. World class production, endless budget, and a group assembled so that kids can all have a favourite in the band. A lot of influence musically from other genres like stuttered lyrics from rap etc.

• 1 year later...