IGNORED

Collector's Universe (owners of PSA) has Purchased WATA

RH

Deniz worked his ass off to create something from nothing.  This notion that he didn't earn his success is nonsense and anyone who thinks that has no clue what they are talking about.

Sure I roll my eyes at some of his marketing speak, and I'm sure to make fun of him directly to his face whenever I see him. I for one am happy for him and think it is awesome that a kid I first met when he was like 14 years old has done so well for himself.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ApebitMusic said:

As a card collector myself, I do not like PSA. Lots of shadiness, grading counterfeits as genuine, etc. I am a much bigger fan of CSG and SGC. 

I don't see myself ever submitting to WATA again (only did once). 

VGA or the new CCG company for me. 

For the record...

Both AFA and VGA (branches of the same company for those who did not know) have a history of grading counterfeits as authentic. But they are also a company that is not being paid to authenticate what they are grading, along with the fact a lot of collectors have also been duped (i.e. Toy Toni's Star Wars stuff).

Which is why I still support them even though I am currently trying out CAS as my 'go-to' grading service. Plus I don't trust CCG because I used to collect graded comic books, and have issues with that part of their grading business.

29 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Deniz worked his ass off to create something from nothing.  This notion that he didn't earn his success is nonsense and anyone who thinks that has no clue what they are talking about.

Sure I roll my eyes at some of his marketing speak, and I'm sure to make fun of him directly to his face whenever I see him. I for one am happy for him and think it is awesome that a kid I first met when he was like 14 years old has done so well for himself.  

Is it true that he was able to get his collection because his father let him sell off the fathers collection? If you dont want to say I understand. I heard that back in the NA days and was always curious if true. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

For the record...

Both AFA and VGA (branches of the same company for those who did not know) have a history of grading counterfeits as authentic. But they are also a company that is not being paid to authenticate what they are grading, along with the fact a lot of collectors have also been duped (i.e. Toy Toni's Star Wars stuff).

Which is why I still support them even though I am currently trying out CAS as my 'go-to' grading service. Plus I don't trust CCG because I used to collect graded comic books, and have issues with that part of their grading business.

I sent VGA a PC game a few years back and they refused to grade it because they were unsure of the packaging/seal, so they sent it back ungraded. They did grade the other PC games I sent so they do have some sort of authentication protocol, but the game in question was indeed authentic because I got it brand new from best buy. The sticker under the seal had some creases in it.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

The personal, character assassination attacks against Deniz are uncalled for.  I encourage people to criticize WATA all they want here, but that's a bit different.  I don't know him personally, and so I can't really make an assessment, but everyone I know who DOES know him personally, says he is a good guy who does love video games.

WATA and the big machine of what is happening, is a lot bigger than just him.

I have some serious concerns about what is happening in the market, as well as some the activities from WATA, but none of those give me reason to attack Deniz as a person.  

Even if I did know him well, spouting a bunch of personal attacks and name calling against someone who isn't even here to defend himself, isn't the best either.

Criticize WATA and his decisions / involvement all you want, but I don't believe there is any reason to call him a douchebag, fraud, and poseur.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted

I'm not saying he's untouchable and can't be criticized.  But I think the specific personal nature of the comments given, were probably a bit unfair, to be honest.

I do not debate some of the severe concerns with WATA, and perhaps his decisions / involvement is not insignificant.

All I know, is that everyone - I mean literally EVERYONE who I have talked to, who does know him personally, says he is a decent guy and not some evil nemesis fraudster only out to ruin everyone.  Does that mean he is perfect? no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gulag Joe said:

I sent VGA a PC game a few years back and they refused to grade it because they were unsure of the packaging/seal, so they sent it back ungraded. They did grade the other PC games I sent so they do have some sort of authentication protocol, but the game in question was indeed authentic because I got it brand new from best buy. The sticker under the seal had some creases in it.

That is a totally different thing. CGA has a strict policy that says that if the seal (i.e. tape, etc.) looks like it might be a re-seal, they will reject it if the person submitting it does not want to receive a "Qualified" sub-grade. Which is very much annoying because I was directly told that they will do the same even if the factory itself told them why it was done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I'm not sure why you all are bitching and not out there putting up your graded games for sale, this is good for you lol

Agreed, lol

And it doesn’t matter how he got his money, he built up a business, increased its value and sold it. Good for him. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

That is a totally different thing. CGA has a strict policy that says that if the seal (i.e. tape, etc.) looks like it might be a re-seal, they will reject it if the person submitting it does not want to receive a "Qualified" sub-grade. Which is very much annoying because I was directly told that they will do the same even if the factory itself told them why it was done.

Yea they did indeed ask me if I wanted them to open it and do the whole qualified thing. I declined.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

And all it takes is one graded Mario 64! Forget your graded NWCs and Stadium Events, they are worthless!

NWC Gold @ $1m on Ebay (smpratte's one that's been up for years) was the best deal in games earlier this week. If a gray cart is $180k and a Mario 64 is $1.5m (and thus earlier mint Zeldas, Marios, etc. are multiple millions by extension), NWC Gold should've sold instantly for $1m when that auction was over.

But you guys missed your shot, he upped the price to $2m today.

m7u5T89.png

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I'm not sure why you all are bitching and not out there putting up your graded games for sale, this is good for you lol

Here’s the basic formula:

- people jumping out of the hobby => not bitchin’

- people still wanting to collect => bitchin’

Edited by GPX
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

NWC Gold @ $1m on Ebay (smpratte's one that's been up for years) was the best deal in games earlier this week. If a gray cart is $180k and a Mario 64 is $1.5m (and thus earlier mint Zeldas, Marios, etc. are multiple millions by extension), NWC Gold should've sold instantly for $1m when that auction was over.

m7u5T89.png

I... I don't blame him, and I feel dirty for admitting that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

m7u5T89.png

2 million for a 5.0?

HOT TAKE: That will never sell at that price in that condition. 

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

Here’s the basic formula:

- people jumping out of the hobby => not bitchin’

- people still wanting to collect => bitchin’

I'll agree to this.  The very TL;DR reason why people can complain though is basically, as someone who does have collector goals, there is stuff I want and I am fully aware that that stuff will go up in time.  But when people who 100% look at collectibles as investments enter the market and push prices up to a point where they make national headlines, it attracts FOMO investors.

All of these buyers are competitors.  I can't prove this next statement but it makes it perpetually harder for the game-loving collector to get those games they love not just because they are more expensive but even if/when a crash occurs, there will be a lot of "bag holders" that will sit on their $10k purchases until the day they die just to save face.  That $10k game may plummet one day to $2k, but they are tying up the inventory because they don't want to be the guy that lost $8k on a game.  It's best to imagine it still holds it's value as it's tucked away in your dresser drawer with your socks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

2 million for a 5.0?

HOT TAKE: That will never sell at that price in that condition. 

To be fair though, what standard should any grading company hold against a piece like that?  It was chopped up with a dremal, an ink jet was used for the label and those things were simply hodge-podged together.  I'd be shocked if any of them every got a 7.0.

9 minutes ago, RH said:

To be fair though, what standard should any grading company hold against a piece like that?  It was chopped up with a dremal, an ink jet was used for the label and those things were simply hodge-podged together.  I'd be shocked if any of them every got a 7.0.

True. I think with that in mind, grading standards should make an exception for rare instances such as this, similar to how trading cards prior to 1981 are given slightly more leeway in regard to condition. A game like NWC Gold would certainly beckon the need for a pop report in order to rationalize such a price for something graded so low. I mean, come on, this ain't no Mario 64!