IGNORED

What is your Accent like?

T-Pac

9 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Didn't you just admit to using a British accent?  In addition to your regular use of "mate", "bloody" and "take the piss" 😅

Nope. Some people have described it as sounding Irish, but let's ask @OptOut to describe my accent, as a real Brit 😉 I've never changed my accent once, or tried to lose it, and if you examine my writing on the other languages I speak, you can also see that accent is literally the least important thing for me.  Try again buddy.

Regarding word choices, I actually don't regularly use bloody, the other two I do use quite a bit, but two of my best mates over here are both English, so I really don't see the point in banging on about it.

Take the piss is brilliant, has a funny history to it as well, an expression more people should embrace and use.

Fun fact: Soccer was originally a British term, though they later wanted to distance themselves from it, as the term became popular in America.

Let's keep talking Reed, this is one of those topics where my knowledge is likely far superior to yours. We can talk all night 🤠

Edited by fcgamer

10 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

But it is definitely an accent.

Sure, and that would be evident if I went to another country. But I grew up in Jersey and live in Chicago and the comment is usually “you don’t have a _____ accent.” The fact that the name for it is ‘standard’ or ‘neutral’ is part of why, at least in casual conversation, it’s not recognized as one.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:29 AM, RH said:

I say "soda" but I can confirm that in the South, you here "coke" as a generic use for a soft drink a lot. 

That is super annoying for someone like myself who is in the (Diet) Pepsi Generation.

16 minutes ago, Estil said:

That is super annoying for someone like myself who is in the (Diet) Pepsi Generation.

Yeah, I actually corrected my son today.  He came home with his mom from the grocery store and told me "Dad, we bought you a coke!" and placed a Mountain Dew on my desk.

Et tu, son... et tu.

Edited by RH

1 hour ago, RH said:

Yeah, I actually corrected my son today.  He came home with his mom from the grocery store and told me "Dad, we bought you a coke!" and placed a Mountain Dew on my desk.

Et tu, son... et tu.

Was it this kind of Mountain Dew? 😄 

PS: Just try to listen to this without air banjoing and/or dancing/taping your foot to it! 😄 

For the record, this is the Coke product equilvant...

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Estil said:

Was it this kind of Mountain Dew? 😄 

PS: Just try to listen to this without air banjoing and/or dancing/taping your foot to it! 😄 

Lol, no.  But that is where Mountain Dew gets it's name and, I think, why it also had a strong association with NASCAR, which got it's early starts with running Mountain Dew up and down the South-East.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Link said:

Sure, and that would be evident if I went to another country. But I grew up in Jersey and live in Chicago and the comment is usually “you don’t have a _____ accent.” The fact that the name for it is ‘standard’ or ‘neutral’ is part of why, at least in casual conversation, it’s not recognized as one.

It is definitely recognized as "an accent" -- it is just within the United States it is a "non-regional" accent.

(versus someone having an accent that very distinctly tells you where they are from, possibly down the the city and social class)

• Like 1

I was born in the Alaska, raised for most of my youth in Hawaii and then moved to live in Texas for the past 21 years. I'm also a student of English Literature, so...yeah. If I have an accent, I'll be damned if I could tell. A wee bit of "Southern drawl" has crept into my speech patterns here and there, despite my best efforts. Mostly, I blame my wife, who is a native Texan and not ashamed. But then, I'm sure I also suffer from bouts of Pidgin on rare occasion, a holdover from my time in the islands. Wachu like, bra? You like go?

• Like 1

I find it interesting that the US has regional accents. You don’t have that in Australia. Either someone has a strong accent or not so strong accent but that won’t tell you where they’re from. It could mean they’re from the country but even then city people can have strong accents.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I find it interesting that the US has regional accents. You don’t have that in Australia. Either someone has a strong accent or not so strong accent but that won’t tell you where they’re from. It could mean they’re from the country but even then city people can have strong accents.

Tasmania has a distinct accent doesn't it?

31 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Don’t think so, I’ve met heaps of Tasmanian’s and I’d never be able to tell where they’re from. Plus those guys are weird, they can be their own country haha.

Interesting.  Had watched a show, recently, set in Tasmania and I thought the accents had a fairly distinct twang compared to what I'd think of as a "standard" Australian accent.

(though possible it may have mixed in New Zealand actors that were putting on an Australian accent, or something)

Edited by arch_8ngel

11 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Interesting.  Had watched a show, recently, set in Tasmania and I thought the accents had a fairly distinct twang compared to what I'd think of as a "standard" Australian accent.

(though possible it may have mixed in New Zealand actors that were putting on an Australian accent, or something)

Could have been the more country (not sure what you call this word in the US) style Australian accent. But that’s not particular to Tasmania or could have had some Kiwi actors like you said. What was the show?

17 hours ago, Shmup said:

Could have been the more country (not sure what you call this word in the US) style Australian accent. But that’s not particular to Tasmania or could have had some Kiwi actors like you said. What was the show?

The Gloaming was the one that stands out most. (set in Tasmania)

But it shared a main actor with The Luminaries (which was supposedly focused on the New Zealand Gold Rush), though I don't peg him has having a Kiwi accent.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Shmup said:

Australian accents are great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The Gloaming was the one that stands out most. (set in Tasmania)

But it shared a main actor with The Luminaries (which was supposedly focused on the New Zealand Gold Rush), though I don't peg him has having a Kiwi accent.

Haven’t heard of this show, looks great I’m going to check it out.

Somewhat strong Kiwi/New Zealand accent. When I used to go to US for holidays (want to go back so badly), there were more people than I'd like to say that didn't really understand what I was saying at times. The funniest one to me that I didn't recognize until it was pointed out to me a few years back is that I say butter like 'budda'. We just don't really emphasize t's and r's in normal dialect here. The most notable differences would be the way we say 'can't' and 'dance'. When I was in US last someone looked like they were going to get angry when I said 'can't', because they thought it was a different word that isn't really said in public often. 😆  

No... I do not sound Australian. 

Not self-promoting my videos (at all), here's what I sound like if anyone's curious: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMn46BWo8CfYpPL2KOsMPjQ 

Edited by NZCollector

18 minutes ago, NZCollector said:

When I was in US last someone looked like they were going to get angry when I said 'can't', because they thought it was a different word that isn't really said in public often. 😆  

Were you not saying it in a sentence in which the other word would contextually make no sense whatsoever? 

2 minutes ago, Link said:

Were you not saying it in a sentence in which the other word would contextually make no sense whatsoever? 

It wouldn't have made any sense no! I was saying something like 'I can't find my way to X restaurant, do you know where it is?' Definitely wasn't swearing at the guy 😆

Edited by NZCollector