IGNORED

What is your Accent like?

T-Pac

On 6/27/2021 at 6:34 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't think there's a Cincinnati accent although some people do have a touch of a southern accent given that Kentucky is on the other side of the river.

That "southern touch" seems to occur as far north as Columbus at least, though I think it really depends on how much interaction you do with folks from KY/WV. I just know that my uncle, who has lived his entire life in Cbus and whose wife's family is from WV, sounds and acts more like he's from Texas/etc. than he does like he's from Ohio.

For me, it's the midwestern, though my wife maintains that I sound more "southern" than she does despite us being from the same general region.

I'm not sure I've ever heard "ope" but I often hear "oop!" as a slightly short version of "oops!". Is that the same kind of thing?

Edited by koifish
ope ?

4 minutes ago, koifish said:

I'm also curious if people say "soda" or "pop". Maybe it's that I never really tried thinking about it, but I feel like I've seen people call it both things in OH, not unlike how in Pokemon Red/Blue, they call it "soda pop".

It seems like most people around here say pop, but I've always called it soda. I never got into that Cincinnati thing of saying "please?" instead of saying "what?" either. I always thought that sounded weird.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It seems like most people around here say pop, but I've always called it soda. I never got into that Cincinnati thing of saying "please?" instead of saying "what?" either. I always thought that sounded weird.

I have no clue what you're talking about.  Can you give an example?

10 minutes ago, koifish said:

I'm also curious if people say "soda" or "pop". Maybe it's that I never really tried thinking about it, but I feel like I've seen people call it both things in OH, not unlike how in Pokemon Red/Blue, they call it "soda pop".

I say "soda" but I can confirm that in the South, you here "coke" as a generic use for a soft drink a lot.  What you might not know, is probably 25-30% of us Southerners feels it's lazy and refuse to call everything "coke", but we aren't at all unified on what to call it.  Soda is the most common, you'll hear "pop" on a rare occasion but it's often also just called a "drink" or "can" depending on the context.

There is also the general trend for people to add an "s" at the end of many stores which harkens back to the days when every store was owned or named after a person.  There's a reginal department store called Belk (which coincidentally, my wife knows the wife one one of the owners, who is the son of the founder) and it is not "Belk's", it's "Belk".  Regardless, if a name of a shop is likely named after someone, will get an "s" at the end, regardless if it's correct or not.  Furthermore, their are others who picked up on the trend so much, they actually call places like Wal-Mart or Target, "Wal-Mart's" and "Target's".  This doesn't tend to happen with restaurants or gas stations by my observation.  It's just department stores and larger stores.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

A NY accent?  No.  I understand cultural accents and thats one thing (Irish, French, etc).  But in NY theres a good correlation between how stupid someone is and how thick their accent is.  Also Long Island accents are incredibly obnoxious.

That's old fashioned thinking, my man. All accents are equal, you should embrace yours and your identity ...

If you disagree now, ask me about it in twenty years , people will be begging to record and document folks like you with your accent .just saying

57 minutes ago, koifish said:

We would call it soda, pop or soda pop - if we said coke it was taken to be a cola of any brand name.

This is a clip from "Little Big Man" featuring the notorious gunfighter known as "The Soda Pop Kid".

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

That's old fashioned thinking, my man. All accents are equal, you should embrace yours and your identity ...

If you disagree now, ask me about it in twenty years , people will be begging to record and document folks like you with your accent .just saying

NO ONE is gonna beg to record a NYC/Long Island accent.  They're pretty prevalent in media.

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

A NY accent?  No.  I understand cultural accents and thats one thing (Irish, French, etc).  But in NY theres a good correlation between how stupid someone is and how thick their accent is.  Also Long Island accents are incredibly obnoxious.

Fran Drescher built an entire career on being an attractive woman with a grating voice.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, G-type said:

Fran Drescher built an entire career on being an attractive woman with a grating voice.

Yeah, she puts it on more than whats her real voice is though.   I just find it very grating.  But MOST people here dont have that strong of an accent.  I can only think of about 3 people where its pretty strong.  Special cameo by Mick Foley next to a 360 controller.    

On 6/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, LifeGame said:

French Canadian so yeah...but my spoken english is pretty good (i think) so most people dont even notice

Oh they notice us. Around Montreal, most anglophones are surprised to learn english is my second language.

But when I go to Ottawa and speak to a store clerk in english, they answer in french lol.

So, french-canadian here. Celine Dion has a bigger accent than I do.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg

5 hours ago, RH said:

There is also the general trend for people to add an "s" at the end of many stores …This doesn't tend to happen with restaurants or gas stations by my observation.  It's just department stores and larger stores.

I never thought about why, but your theory makes sense. In Chicago, people do it to grocery stores. It is belongs on Dominick’s (now defunct), Pete’s, and Mariano’s, but also gets added to Aldi and Jewel. But not Fairplay — doesn’t sound like it could be a name.

5 hours ago, RH said:

I have no clue what you're talking about.  Can you give an example?

Basically if someone didn't catch what you said they will say "please?" instead of saying "what?" or "could you say that again?" like a normal person. It seems to be more common with older people. I don't hear many young people saying it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Link said:

I don’t have one

If you're an American and think you don't have an accent, you probably have the "Standard American"/"Broadcast English" accent that tons of us have growing up in the 80's/90's (when cable television made a "neutral American" accent even more prevalent than it already was)

But it is definitely an accent.

• Thanks 1

You know, this brings up an interesting thought.  Let's say that in the next 100-200 years, we don't all nuke the planet and general technological progression continues.  At that point, I'm sure there will still be many languages, however, technology will likely have seeped into the 90% of the population where media is easily accessible and likely influences.

At that time, will "accents" be gone because for any given language, you've probably been subjected to so much common-sounding media, whether you're in the US, Australia or England, we've been listening to each other for so long that common dialects and accents are lost. 

Of course, there would still be accents for people who primarily speak one language and then speak a second one.  That can never go away so long as there are multiple languages.  Regardless, dialects and accents exist because 150+ years ago, common interactions with people even 100 miles away were far less common than they are today.  I can be on a business meeting with someone in the UK, and then turn around that night and watch YouTube videos from a guy in New Zealand.  This has little affect on me, but having the mass population, for years, dialogue and interact with each other should eventually reverse the dialects and accents.

It's easy to say "that will never happen" but given the state of the world and, again, we don't technologically set ourselves backwards somehow, it's not entirely impossible that dialects might slip away in 5-6 generations.

They will decrease, but they won't go away, unless people like @guitarzombie rule the world.

My father grew up in a heavily Pennsylvania Dutch area; my mother claims that when she first met him, he had a string accent from that region, yet it was long gone by the time I was born. With that being said, every once in awhile, I'll hear him say a word that slips back to that accent.

French, Spanish, and Romanians are all just speaking sloppy Latin.

Media exposure isn't everything. American films are big in Britain, yet when my friend tries for an American accent, it's horrid, nails on the chalkboard horrible. Americans had a healthy dose of UK English via the British invasion, are we talking like them?

Accents will die out when everyone forgoes it, people like @guitarzombie who hate their accent for odd or insecurity reasons, rather than embracing it. It's the same situation with minority languages, or immigrants who have children that don't learn the ancestral tongue, and it's a damned shame, steeped primarily in ignorance.

But if locals continue to speak as they always did, I don't think multimedia will totally obliterate accents, otherwise bit would have happened by now.