IGNORED

Building collapse in Surfside Fla. - this is probably going to have a high body count.

Tabonga

Part of a 12 story apartment building collapsed in Surfside* - hopefully some survivors will be extracted from the rubble - since it happened at night the apartments were almost certainly full of people sleeping.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/partial-building-collapse-in-surfside-prompts-massive-fire-rescue-response/2479570/

*They keep changing the location - first it was Miami, then Miami Beach and now Surfside.

Edited by Tabonga

• The title was changed to Building collapse in Surfside Fla. - this is probably going to have a high body count.

What an ugly scene.

Miracles happen in these kinds of things though, I’m sure the people there are working hard to save as many lives as possible. I’ve seen a teenage (maybe preteen?) boy crawl out of the rubble in one video already.

I’ve also heard of only one confirmed death so far, but I’m praying for the body count to stay that low.

May there be pockets of safety for everyone, and may the building stand while the rescue goes on.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Watching the video, seems like a pretty sure thing that few if anybody survived in the collapsed sections.  They went down fast.

Well apparently there were 23 survivors pulled out of 9/11 WTC buildings. All from below the 22nd floor. Possibly even more survived the initial collapse but didn’t get medical treatment before they were pulled out of the rubble. 

I hope the lack of all the additional upper floors like the WTC means less rubble to crush people in this tragedy  

Edited by phart010

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I saw this this morning.  Terrible news and the second time a structure collapses for no apparent reason here in Miami.  I believe only one person died from this building's collapse, which is a miracle. 

There's no way.  They've only found 1 body but 99 are missing.

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Well apparently there were 23 survivors pulled out of 9/11 WTC buildings. All from below the 22nd floor. Possibly even more survived the initial collapse but didn’t get medical treatment before they were pulled out of the rubble. 

I hope the lack of all the additional upper floors like the WTC means less rubble to crush people in this tragedy  

There is a huge difference in construction of a high rise like the WTC and a residential complex. A whole different set of engineering rules, life safety systems and seismic mitigation, so its not exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

I did hear a couple of things just now - apparently they are tunneling into the debris and while they can't hear voices they are hearing some noises that sound like someone beating on a pipe with some tool.  

I would think they would have some search and rescue dogs there by now - those dogs are incredible at locating people (either alive or dead).

I also heard that there were problems reported with the building doing a lot of settling - apparently it was built on "reclaimed" land - which is usually a swampy area that has a bunch of crap filled in - makes for some unstable land - especially for a large building such as this one.

48 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I did hear a couple of things just now - apparently they are tunneling into the debris and while they can't hear voices they are hearing some noises that sound like someone beating on a pipe with some tool.  

I would think they would have some search and rescue dogs there by now - those dogs are incredible at locating people (either alive or dead).

I also heard that there were problems reported with the building doing a lot of settling - apparently it was built on "reclaimed" land - which is usually a swampy area that has a bunch of crap filled in - makes for some unstable land - especially for a large building such as this one.

Where do you get your sources?

MDFR is usually sent out when rescue dogs are needed around the country as far as I can remember. I'm pretty certain they've had rescue dogs there working around the clock.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's no way.  They've only found 1 body but 99 are missing.

They are still searching and the likelihood is they'll find many more dead.  I just learned there is that building has a twin in the area.  I'd be very nervous to stay there after seeing this happen.

8 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Hope the toll is low. 

But thank god for Californias aggressive building codes. I cant imagine multi-story residential constriction in Florida in 1981 was well regulated. 

FL learned their lessons from hurricane Andrew in 1992, but you don't just carpet bomb every building before then and rebuild. BTW, how many existing buildings in CA were built before 1981 when earthquake building codes were much more ineffective?

CA's about due for a massive 1857-like earthquake from the San Andreas fault. Let's see how great those building codes do in the face of a 8.0+. Even most "earthquake-proof" buildings will be functionally totaled and need to be torn down or significantly repaired. The primary intent of building codes regarding earthquakes is to save lives

2 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

FL learned their lessons from hurricane Andrew in 1992, but you don't just carpet bomb every building before then and rebuild. BTW, how many existing buildings in CA were built before 1981 when earthquake building codes were much more ineffective?

CA's about due for a massive 1857-like earthquake from the San Andreas fault. Let's see how great those building codes do in the face of a 8.0+. Even most "earthquake-proof" buildings will be functionally totaled and need to be torn down or significantly repaired. The primary intent of building codes regarding earthquakes is to save lives

Hundreds of thousands. 

And I literally live on the san Andreas fault. On top of it!  My house was built in 1962, but i sheeted it and did all the earthquake retro fits to the foundation. So im not that worried. 

I explicitly remember loma prieta in 89. It was a 7.0 and the only damage my childhood home (about 5 miles from san andreas fault) sustained is broken dishes. And that house has zero sheeting, or retrofits. 

They have been talking about the big one for so long 🤣🤣

we dont get out for bed for anything under 6 on the richter

They force most residential remodels to come up to current code, and with the outrageous market and flips a good amount get bulked up. 

Edited by MrWunderful

10 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Where do you get your sources?

MDFR is usually sent out when rescue dogs are needed around the country as far as I can remember. I'm pretty certain they've had rescue dogs there working around the clock.

Just the radio reports  (unless you think that I am for some reason dealing in whole cloth here - I am always willing to listen to more accurate information if someone has it - I am well aware that the earlier the information is in a situation like this the more fluid it may be)- most of which I heard repeated this morning - the building apparently was sinking several millimeters a year - which shouldn't be occurring in a building that old.  I am assuming that if indeed the site was on  landfill that would be well documented.  (It is not unusual at all for cities on coasts to have reclaimed lands - a good chunk of San Francisco sits on such land -which generally becomes like jello in an earthquake).

As  I said I thought that they would have had dogs there - by now - I have not heard either way but they can't cover mention everything in brief clips.  

Edited by Tabonga