IGNORED

Let’s share some good fatherly advice

attakid101

Father’s Day just passed so I thought this might be a fun topic. Ever get any great advice from your dad? Are you a dad yourself? What’s some good advice you’ve given your kids?

My dad told me that hate will always hurt you more than the object of that hate. I think about that every time I’m tempted to hold a grudge.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

Father’s Day just passed so I thought this might be a fun topic. Ever get any great advice from your dad? Are you a dad yourself? What’s some good advice you’ve given your kids?

My dad told me that hate will always hurt you more than the object of that hate. I think about that every time I’m tempted to hold a grudge.

My Step Dad was a man of few words. One thing he always tried to drill in us was "take pride in what you do." It never mattered what the job was, whether you like the work or wanted to be their or not, "take pride in what you do".

Eventually I grew up and instead of being an angsty teenager who was annoyed at having to pick up pine cones in the yard or mowing the lawn, I got it. A job worth doing is a job worth doing well, and there's no point in creating a habit of laziness.

My biological Father handled advice a bit differently. He'd tell my brother and sisters these crazy stories of when he was a kid, how he snuck out in the middle of the night to go cruise with friends or how they'd run off in the woods to smoke weed (and probably did more than that.) He made us laugh but always ended on a regrettable note. It was his way of acknowledging he did have fun, but his behavior had consequences worse than the fun.

Oh, and my Grand Father was a cop. My Dad never realized it as a boy, but when he got a bit older, he was certain he didn't go to jail on many occasions because the other cops knew his Dad. I think my Dad felt a lot of guilt from that in his older years.  I know my Grand Father was quite strict but he never put shame on his kids and made them feel like a disgrace. My Dad remembered that when he got older and passed it on to us.

I know that's not advice, per se, but it was my Dad's way of encouraging us to stay out of trouble.

• Like 1

My father doesn't do advice. I did get some pretty wise advice from my first boss though. He was the father of my sisters best friend and gave me a job as a teenager. One was "Never lend money with the expectation you'll get it back." and the other was "If you listen to someone long enough they'll tell you everything you need to know."

Don’t take your health/wellness for granted. 

Let’s say a billionaire lost one hand in an accident. He approaches you and proposed to give you $10 billion to have one of your hands surgically removed one so he can transplant it to himself. Would you take the offer?

If not, then realize and appreciate the fortune that you already have. Young people would work so hard sacrificing their health chasing money. Older people would give up all of their money they worked so hard for just trying to get back the good health they once had.

Edited by phart010

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Let’s say a billionaire lost one hand in an accident. He approaches you and proposed to give you $10 billion to have one of your hands surgically removed one so he can transplant it to himself. Would you take the offer?

If not, then realize and appreciate the fortune that you have. Young people would work so hard sacrificing their health chasing money. Older people would give up all of their money they worked so hard for just trying to get back the good health they once had.

Or anyone who you are lucky enough to have a really good close relationship with such as spouse/significant other/family/friends/whatever.  On a related note I already gone on record that I wouldn't take a million dollars or even $10 billion for my kitty cat.  I mean what good is all that money if you can't live with yourself?

Here's some advice I actually came up with myself (at least as far as I know)...never listen to or take advice from someone who wants you to fail.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 10:46 AM, phart010 said:

Which hand... I mean... Either way, I'm thinking 10 billion dollars could go a long way towards a robo hand these days... Even 1 billion would be enough to finance a SICK robo hand probably... And then you got 9 billion to spare!

You could spend another billion putting on a flashy marketing campaign about how awesome it would be to have a robo hand! People would be hella jealous!

Then there are the OBVIOUS crime-fighting cyborg vigilante opportunities that open up... I mean, I'm talking myself into this honestly...

Fuck it, sign me up! Robo hand FTW! 🦾😎

• Haha 3

“No matter what made you to fail, it’s only you who can make your life worth living”

Sounds mean on a surface level, but it’s really solid advice.

On the nicer side:

”Whatever you do, always do it to the best of your ability”

Though he lifted that one from the Bible.

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, OptOut said:

Which hand... I mean... Either way, I'm thinking 10 billion dollars could go a long way towards a robo hand these days... Even 1 billion would be enough to finance a SICK robo hand probably... And then you got 9 billion to spare!

You could spend another billion putting on a flashy marketing campaign about how awesome it would be to have a robo hand! People would be hella jealous!

Then there are the OBVIOUS crime-fighting cyborg vigilante opportunities that open up... I mean, I'm talking myself into this honestly...

Fuck it, sign me up! Robo hand FTW! 🦾😎

People have trouble fathoming what 1 billion dollars is, let alone 10b. I'd chop my dick off without anaesthetic for 10b.

• Wow! 1

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

People have trouble fathoming what 1 billion dollars is, let alone 10b. I'd chop my dick off without anaesthetic for 10b.

Is there really a difference in $1b to $10b?

Forbes says there are about 2,755 billionaires in the planet, and 228 of them are worth $10b or more.

Mind you that isn’t cash value, that’s net worth of their stocks. They likely have a pittance (in comparison) of cash value, but at their level of worth the number no longer has any real meaning.

The difference of being a millionaire from a billionaire is roughly a billion dollars….millions just don’t even register anymore.

At $1b there’s nothing you can’t access anymore. Everything else above it is just a little community about the size of this forum.

Daughter want to listen to BTS? Just have them come over to whatever manor she’s in for a performance.

Hungry? Just have Gordon Ramsey pop in to whip up a beef Wellington.

Tired of then President spouting his mouth off on a certain topic? Have your people call his people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Is there really a difference in $1b to $10b?

Forbes says there are about 2,755 billionaires in the planet, and 228 of them are worth $10b or more.

Mind you that isn’t cash value, that’s net worth of their stocks. They likely have a pittance (in comparison) of cash value, but at their level of worth the number no longer has any real meaning.

The difference of being a millionaire from a billionaire is roughly a billion dollars….millions just don’t even register anymore.

At $1b there’s nothing you can’t access anymore. Everything else above it is just a little community about the size of this forum.

Daughter want to listen to BTS? Just have them come over to whatever manor she’s in for a performance.

Hungry? Just have Gordon Ramsey pop in to whip up a beef Wellington.

Tired of then President spouting his mouth off on a certain topic? Have your people call his people.

What you can’t access with the $1B is the control/feeling of the hand you gave up to get the money. Cant shake a friends hand or get around with quite the same level of mobility. Can’t feel a cats/dogs fur as your petting it or get satisfaction out of picking your nose 👃 

Edited by phart010
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

What you can’t access with the $1B is the control/feeling of the hand you gave up to get the money. Cant shake a friends hand or get around with quite the same level of mobility. Can’t feel a cats/dogs fur as your petting it or get satisfaction out of picking your nose 👃 

Um... Let's do a count real quick...

One... Okay, so far so good... Wait! What's this?! TWO!!! Woooooooaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! 🤯

Yeah apparently it turns out people gots TWO fuggin hands! So, if you sell one for TEN BILLION dollars you can still do ALL those fuggin things, lol!🤣

Trust me, there are people who have given up A LOT more for a LOT less than that... Some people are even born without hands altogether, where's their 10 billion?!

This question is so easy honestly, I'm thinking about chopping off one of my hands for FREE over here, just to prove the point! 😉

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, phart010 said:

Petting cats, or $1,000,000,000...

That is a tough call.

"Cats" is a euphemism, right?  No one likes the actual hell beasts that much, right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Petting cats, or $1,000,000,000...

That is a tough call.

"Cats" is a euphemism, right?  No one likes the actual hell beasts that much, right?

You can STILL PET THE DAMN CAT WITH ONE HAND!!!

What are people doing to these poor creatures, they need to get DOUBLE handsy all up in there? 🤣🙀

• Haha 2

This is a video game forum right?  You know it's much harder to work a controller without both hands right?  Sure there was that guy in Nintendo Power who could use his toes to work the controller...but that was back in the NES days when the controller had only five buttons!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Estil said:

This is a video game forum right?  You know it's much harder to work a controller without both hands right?  Sure there was that guy in Nintendo Power who could use his toes to work the controller...but that was back in the NES days when the controller had only five buttons!

Dude, accessibility options on video games have come a LONG way since the NES days, people without one hand or even two are able to play a WIDE variety of games no problem. Every heard of the Xbox accessibility controller? 

Buy Xbox Adaptive Controller - Microsoft Store

Ten billion dollars would set up my family for GENERATIONS!!! What planet are people on where stroking cats and playing video games with two hands is more important than the future of yourself and your family?! 😄

5 hours ago, OptOut said:

Dude, accessibility options on video games have come a LONG way since the NES days, people without one hand or even two are able to play a WIDE variety of games no problem. Every heard of the Xbox accessibility controller? 

Buy Xbox Adaptive Controller - Microsoft Store

Ten billion dollars would set up my family for GENERATIONS!!! What planet are people on where stroking cats and playing video games with two hands is more important than the future of yourself and your family?! 😄

What about guitar though? Screw the games , just because I'm literally swimming in a sea of them doesn't mean I actually play them.