Silverspoon Fridays #4: Super Metroid or Metroid Prime

SilverspoonGaming

Super Metroid or Metroid Prime  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Super Metroid or Metroid Prime

• Super Metroid
    • Metroid Prime

1 hour ago, MegaMan52 said:

i think the vast majority of people here are adults, and know what an attach rate is. No need to educate, sir. Also, as someone who's been gaming since 1990 and collects imports in addition to American releases, I obviously know when the GameCube came out (even in Japan) and when it's support (officially) ended.

My intention was not educate you, so I’m sorry if comment rubbed off that way. I am not questioning yours or anyone’s level of intelligence. Just presenting some info for the benefit of the entire community here. While all of the numbers and dates I have presented here are easily found online with a simple search, the analysis may not be as obvious unless someone were to piece it all together.

The only reason I mentioned the years when certain systems came out was that if anyone cared to question my attach rates then they would understand my method. When you do these types of analytical calculations, there’s always going to be some assumptions made, so if you were not aware of my assumptions you could probably calculate it differently and produce a different number.

I’m not claiming the number are absolute, they’re just ballpark figures that I thought people would value for this discussion. 

But alas, I was mistaken. You guys hate numbers that put Super Metroids awesomeness into question  😩 I can respect that.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, phart010 said:

My intention was not educate you, so I’m sorry if comment rubbed off that way. I am not questioning yours or anyone’s level of intelligence. Just presenting some info for the benefit of the entire community here. While all of the numbers and dates I have presented here are easily found online with a simple search, the analysis may not be as obvious unless someone were to piece it all together.

The only reason I mentioned the years when certain systems came out was that if anyone cared to question my attach rates then they would understand my method. When you do these types of analytical calculations, there’s always going to be some assumptions made, so if you were not aware of my assumptions you could probably calculate it differently and produce a different number.

I’m not claiming the number are absolute, they’re just ballpark figures that I thought people would value for this discussion. 

But alas, I was mistaken. You guys hate numbers that put Super Metroids awesomeness into question  😩 I can respect that.

All good, buddy. 🙂

Edited by MegaMan52

Well considering the choices, it's easy to pick Super Metroid.

I'm guessing you're talking you have the game on the original system, not some ideal later revision right?  Metroid Prime, depending on your take with the game, is broken or not and FIXED on the Wii Trilogy.  The bonehead move to waste the entire c-stick on lame visors instead of being able to equally and evenly strafe, lock, and fire like space pirates throughout the game do was really STUPID, and to cover it up calling the game a first person adventure for years.  Yet in MPT, you can do that, and the game is far far more of a pleasure there.

That said though, typically 2D games win out for exploration stuff, they're just more tight, responsive, and well thought out on what you can and can't get away at as they're systematically designed to put up temporary walls that make sense, not something obtuse to confuse.  It would be hard to throw the nod to Prime, there' s a reason why an entire genre is more or less now called a METROIDvania after all. 😉

• Like 1

Not even close for me and Super Metroid is the answer. Make no mistake...I think Metroid Prime is a great game and I'm happy to play it virtually any time (talking about the GC original)...but Super Metroid is just on a whole other level of excellence for me. I've beaten it so many times that I've practically gotten it memorized...and yet it still manages to be so incredibly enticing and rewarding to play even so.

Edited by Webhead123

On 6/18/2021 at 9:40 PM, Tanooki said:

Metroid Prime, depending on your take with the game, is broken or not and FIXED on the Wii Trilogy.

I hated all the major fights in Metroid Prime for this exact reason.  I felt particularly outgunned against space pirates for what felt like bad design.  I powered through to the end, but my enjoyment of this game took a huge dive when the space pirates showed up.

I never knew that this was improved in later editions.  If the trilogy ever gets re-released on Switch, I might give this another try.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, Super Metroid all the way for me. 🙂

I'm surprised people had problems with Prime's controls, but nobody has mentioned the bizarre control setup of Super Metroid. Both, for me, took a bit of time to get acclimated with, but I definitely had an easier time getting the hang of Prime's controls. Super Metroid's controls never felt natural or intuitive to me, especially the jumping.

Aso, Super Metroid uses 2D graphics, which have been obsolete since like 1995. No thanks.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I'm surprised people had problems with Prime's controls, but nobody has mentioned the bizarre control setup of Super Metroid. Both, for me, took a bit of time to get acclimated with, but I definitely had an easier time getting the hang of Prime's controls. Super Metroid's controls never felt natural or intuitive to me, especially the jumping.

Aso, Super Metroid uses 2D graphics, which have been obsolete since like 1995. No thanks.

Yeah, I never had an issue with Prime's controls and don't remember there being any major complaints about them when the game was released. I guess once people started playing Metroid Prime Trilogy they couldn't go back to the original GameCube versions of Prime and Prime 2, though I for one prefer the Wavebird over the Wii Remote for several games including Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess. Heck, even Super Paper Mario's controls probably would've been a little more normal if the game was released for GameCube as originally planned (like using a button to talk to characters and for using Bowser's flame, instead of up and down).

As for Super Metroid...well, it's an SNES game. As mentioned on the previous page, the SNES's entrees are almost always the favorite regardless of what franchise it belongs to. So with that in mind, it's no surprise that it is leading.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I'd pick Prime over Super for the same reason I picked SM64 over SMB3.

Given the chance to completely invest myself in either game for a predefined period of time, I would choose the experience that feels fresher from the get go and that's Prime in this case.

I see what you are saying in the case of SM64 because the game itself was so highly polished.

However, in general I would say the jump from SNES 2D to N64/PS1 3D is not always so clearcut it terms of which one feels “fresher”. There are many late release SNES games that were utilizing the full power of the system and represented the pinnacle of the 16bit era. At the same time there are instances with N64/PS1 in which the developers were just getting their feet wet in a primitive 3D era.

I think there are instances where newer doesn’t equal fresher. For me personally, PS1 graphics could often be painful to look at. As I’m older now, I have learned to appreciate them for what they are, but back in the day I remember really cringing looking at the 3D models and poor framerate in Chrono Cross, while at the same time not having any issue with Chrono Trigger 2D art.

49 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I see what you are saying in the case of SM64 because the game itself was so highly polished.

However, in general I would say the jump from SNES 2D to N64/PS1 3D is not always so clearcut it terms of which one feels “fresher”. There are many late release SNES games that were utilizing the full power of the system and represented the pinnacle of the 16bit era. At the same time there are instances with N64/PS1 in which the developers were just getting their feet wet in a primitive 3D era.

I think there are instances where newer doesn’t equal fresher. For me personally, PS1 graphics could often be painful to look at. As I’m older now, I have learned to appreciate them for what they are, but back in the day I remember really cringing looking at the 3D models and poor framerate in Chrono Cross, while at the same time not having any issue with Chrono Trigger 2D art.

I really meant fresher in the sense that I have played less of it. There's more I can discover.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:46 AM, rdrunner said:

I hated all the major fights in Metroid Prime for this exact reason.  I felt particularly outgunned against space pirates for what felt like bad design.  I powered through to the end, but my enjoyment of this game took a huge dive when the space pirates showed up.

I never knew that this was improved in later editions.  If the trilogy ever gets re-released on Switch, I might give this another try.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, Super Metroid all the way for me. 🙂

Yeah I quit on the Omega Pirate boss, no matter what I couldn't handl the 2-4+ of them at a time along with the big guy so I flipped it off.  Years later Trilogy came out, and you could use the wiimote like a FPS pointer (a mouse basically) and the game was just awesome.  That's the version I play if I want, still have the old prime on GC but it's basically just there in case I ever decide I want no Wii on the shelf anymore.  Careful though MPT came out in a normal steelbook release, then a ghetto one gamestop put out in a plain case, depending how you feel about it, you have choices.