IGNORED

eBay Seller Cancels My Winning Bid To Relist For Higher

I have never run into anyone so greedy. This morning I had the winning bid at $262.07 for a star code Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! which indicates it is a promotional copy. This is a really good price, especially with all the hype around the value of this game right now. I'm a collector so it wasn't being resold. I won this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/274073053480?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

Then I paid for it, an hour later I got a cancellation notice and a refund, then I saw this relist at $300:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mike-Tysons-Punch-Out-NES-Star-Code-Variant-Very-Rare-/274077962646?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Seriously, this guy got negative feedback on his account for $38, is that worth it? Or maybe he had it worked out with the buyer to pay more once the invoice was sent. The Buy It Now price on the initial listing was for $375 but the auction ended with only 2 bids on it.

His username is freddietool525_1.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

22 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I have never run into anyone so greedy. This morning I had the winning bid at $262.07 for a star code Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! which indicates it is a promotional copy. This is a really good price, especially with all the hype around the value of this game right now. I'm a collector so it wasn't being resold. I won this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/274073053480?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

Then I paid for it, an hour later I got a cancellation notice and a refund, then I saw this relist at $300:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mike-Tysons-Punch-Out-NES-Star-Code-Variant-Very-Rare-/274077962646?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Seriously, this guy got negative feedback on his account for $38, is that worth it? Or maybe he had it worked out with the buyer to pay more once the invoice was sent. The Buy It Now price on the initial listing was for $375 but the auction ended with only 2 bids on it.

His username is freddietool525_1.

It looks like you are in Canada and he is in the US. Possibly the real reason is he didn't want to ship to Canada. 

Not excusing the bad behavior, but I doubt he cancelled your transaction for $38. 

2 minutes ago, LaC said:

It looks like you are in Canada and he is in the US. Possibly the real reason is he didn't want to ship to Canada. 

Not excusing the bad behavior, but I doubt he cancelled your transaction for $38. 

Then he should not have those 98 or so countries listed in his 'Ships to" section

1 minute ago, TylerBarnes said:

Then he should not have those 98 or so countries listed in his 'Ships to" section

Agreed.  He is obliged to ship it.

It is certainly possible the lower bidder backdoored you.  You can call Ebay and ask if they would look at his messages and see if someone backdoored you.  Both parties can get banned for that.

I get messages like that from time to time from the lower bidders.

Man that really sucks!  It's also annoying when somebody wins your auction with no plan to actually buy it.  I listed something not long ago and it sold for a high amount so I was really estatic, but then I noticed the buyer had like 2 feedback and one was negative talking about the guy sent the item then he claimed he didn't get it and paypal sided with him so the seller was without his item and money.  I immediately decided hell no I wasn't going to sell to him as I'm sure he was just gonna pull the same scam so I reached out to him about it and he never responded so I had to dispute and wait 7 days before I could file an unpaid auction claim and get my final value fee refunded.  Luckily he didn't fight back on it, was worried he would and I'd be out my final value fee but he didn't say anything and I got it back.  Man Ebay is a bitch sometimes 😞

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Wait...since when does a star code mean it's the promo release? I'm pretty sure the star means it's the final revision. Given the fact that this is the oval seal version it probably came out in 89/90 right before Mr. Dream's Punch-Out!!

How could any company ever know if something is a final revision, though?

I saw this auction, and also thought you did well. Sorry this person did this. Coincidentally, I insta-BIN'd a different Tyson like 2 weeks ago and same exactly thing happened. Then a week later, same seller messaged me and asked if I was still interested lol. He similarly got negged.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

48 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

How could any company ever know if something is a final revision, though?

Meaning they don't plan to make any more changes to the box or manual. I'd say that's not that hard for a company to figure out. In this particular case they had to have known Tyson's contract was ending soon so they made this box the final.

I suppose it's possible the star means it's promo but from what I've seen (and I've seen a lot) the star means final revision of that manual/box IMO.

25 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Meaning they don't plan to make any more changes to the box or manual. I'd say that's not that hard for a company to figure out. In this particular case they had to have known Tyson's contract was ending soon so they made this box the final.

I suppose it's possible the star means it's promo but from what I've seen (and I've seen a lot) the star means final revision of that manual/box IMO.

Yeah, I'm just wondering why like they didn't think Rev-A Tyson was gonna be the last, for example. Or on Megaman.

2 hours ago, austin532 said:

Wait...since when does a star code mean it's the promo release? I'm pretty sure the star means it's the final revision. Given the fact that this is the oval seal version it probably came out in 89/90 right before Mr. Dream's Punch-Out!!

This is the first time I've ever seen it suggested star means final revision. I don't see how that makes any sense- if something continues to sell and you need to print new copies theres always the possibility something has to change.

I don't know at to believe anymore regarding the star on boxes and manuals. I've heard of the promotion thing, last revision, and for manuals I've heard it means it has the rear projection TV warning.

For Zelda 1, I think the star code only was on the Oval TM seal, but there was an Oval R seal after that without the star. The star code manual came with both the Oval TM and R seals. Even after that, the classic series came out with no star code. Although it was kind of a re-release thing. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

Sorry to hear about this.  Sometimes sellers are willing to do unethical things for a quick buck.  I once had a great buy on a BIN Dragon Fighter for the nes that the seller then claimed was stolen at the post office.  The transaction was refunded but I was not allowed to leave feedback.  It seemed very fishy to me, and I suspect someone backdoored me.

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I have never run into anyone so greedy. This morning I had the winning bid at $262.07 for a star code Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! which indicates it is a promotional copy. .

5 hours ago, austin532 said:

3 hours ago, Lincoln said:

This is the first time I've ever seen it suggested star means final revision. I don't see how that makes any sense- if something continues to sell and you need to print new copies theres always the possibility something has to change.

Actually, the star seems to indicate an update to the side of the box to read "FOR SALE IN USA AND CANADA ONLY (+/- MEXICO)." This is only found on first-party Nintendo releases that had an oval SOQ release prior to this statement becoming standard on all boxes. This would generally be the last revision for any game that had the star.

The list includes SMB, SMB2, Golf, Rad Racer, MTPO, Metroid, and LoZ. There are probably more, but that's the running list. See the following thread: https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/11056/dragon-warrior-mail-away-letters

I've also attached a picture of my MTPO with star code and two copies of Dragon Warrior for reference. These are NOT the NP promotional copies because they are the -1 revision. I don't have a non-star MTPO but I'm pretty sure it does not have the statement.

Interestingly, the seller didn't show that one side of the box for some reason... 🤔

IMG_20191101_234141.jpg

IMG_20191101_232952.jpg

IMG_20191101_232924.jpg

4 hours ago, Lincoln said:

Examples?

Off the top of my head, NES Play Action Football only came with a * manual as far as I can tell. Pretty sure they messed up on that though as the 2nd print with the red 4 Player Game doesn't have the *.

I always thought the T in a circle meant it had the warning inside the manual?

8 hours ago, austin532 said:

Off the top of my head, NES Play Action Football only came with a * manual as far as I can tell. Pretty sure they messed up on that though as the 2nd print with the red 4 Player Game doesn't have the *.

I always thought the T in a circle meant it had the warning inside the manual?

Manual asterisks seem to be an entirely different beast. But I second your statement on Play Action Football. 2 of 2 manuals in my house have asterisks; both of these are the original print with the white 4-player symbol. I've never quite known what the circle T implies. The answer may be buried in the NA archives somewhere though.

IMG_20191102_095004.jpg

IMG_20191102_095023.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore